• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What You Need To Know----Important

78 posts in this topic

I just wanted to say that I'm appreciative to some of super tooth's posts here regarding grading etc. I have Halperin's guide as well as the PCGS grading manual, though I never sent in their submission form. Does NGC have a similar grading guide?

Hey guys,

I just started the registry etc on the NGC collectors society and I found it a great resource. I've been collecting for about a year and a half and unfortunately I learned a few hard lessons along the way. I also do video production work and I created a pilot video on coin collecting that I posted on youtube (its mixed in with all my on-line video production tutorials etc on youtube) Would some of you guys take a look at it and give me some feedback? I'm planning on doing tons more that go over history etc of each coin type. I have three more shot and ready to be edited but I'd like more ideas for future episodes. I'll list the link to the video below:

thanks

Mark

Edited by markapsolon

[quote=Golden AgeI am a brand new collector who has been extremely fortunate to have purchased several Gold coins and not been scammed or cheated. As a newbie to coin collecting, I am curious what TPG's and AT/NT stand for.

I appreciate this forum and am learning some vitally important facts.

TPG = Third Party Grader ie: NGC is a third party grader. There are many, many others. Generally NGC, PCGS, and ANACS are considered to be the top tier of TPG's

AT = Artifical Toning "Coin Doctors" will doctor a coin to create the toning many collectors desire

NT = Natural Toining The toning coins pick up from the environment they are stored in. Many times this is old coin albums that were not totally acid free.

You can also use the search function to find many discussion on these topics.

Edited by PennyGuy

been a member for a day or 2 but plan to start looking in more often. I do gold coins (and bullion), silver coins (and bullion), and all kinds of paper money. Yes I have been scamed at first but not much any more. Guess that is the way it happens until you learn to read and then learn to read, and then learn to read. Now I'm a bit better and have NO Problem looking in books and and grading now. So I guess I can learn to read. For a truck driver thats a feet.

Now I have a small collection consisting of 4 full note books with coins of what makes me tick and working on a paper money book as well. I have tried to collect all AU or better coins (and as you know that is quite tough) and alway's looking for more. I like walkers, and barber dimes, well thats a bunch of hog wash, I LOKE THEM ALL except Idon't have many dollars They just don't get me going.

My Paper consist of a bit of large and small Gold and Silver along with confederate and well a good start of a mix of everything. Can't wait to get 20 or 30 books of coins and paper. I do like my gold coins a bit also. but anyway didn't mean to ramble. Have a good night and Happy Collecting. David H

First Day of Issue are those packged by the mint in special display cards. Go to the US Mint site. The Presidential $'s are available there.You can subscribe and get them sent directly to you as they are produced. (So you don't miss any)

I've read on linr that the First Mintage Coins have several names depending on whom you buy from. (First Strike, Early Release). The designations are a marketing ploy. A coin can be sent to PCGS with a copy of the USMints invoice and if it's dated within the first 30 days of the "Release" date, and if there are "offering" "First Strike" for the coin in question, it will come back in a First Strike Slad. Oh Yea, $18 additional.

I sent in 2 Disabled Vets Silver $ Commemes. Got an an email they weren't offering First Strike for them. They did not refund my $36.

I speculate some "Quantity" dealers have cut deals to have certain issues designated "Firsts".

Here's the skinny. http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/a/first_strike_co.htm

Is there a simple "At Home" test to detect "PVC" contamination of coins? I'm just about done sending raw coins to TPGer's and them coming back "Enviormental Damgae" . NCS is a great solution. Also I don't buy RAW coins from dealers or on Ebay. I'm getting to be a "SLABS ONLY" guy. :cool:

I hope all of you continue buying only slabbed coins and leave the "raws" to me. I make a ton of money buying raw and having them graded. I am VERY careful about what to buy so i haven't really been burned yet. The occasional cleaned or damaged coin is simply the cost of doing business.

Brick and mortar coin dealers are a good place to buy if you are interested only in collecting and don't intend to ever sell your coins. They have to sell at a markup of 20% or better in order to stay open.

Coins are an excellent long term investment. They are also a good short term "turnover" investment for online dealers, especially on Ebay. If you buy and sell on Ebay you can keep the prices reasonable for your customers.

I've been around for a while, though I'll admit that my posts are somewhat sparing. What I really would have liked earlier is a list of reputable places to buy coins from. Ebay is good if you're buying slabs, and occasionally for raw coins if you find a reputable dealer and are VERY careful, but what other places are out there?

Well, I've discovered a few. One is Apmex which mostly deals in gold and silver. Another is Heritage Auctions which (as the name reveals) is an auction setting. Great things can be found here, but you pay well for them and the auction house charges an extra 15% to cover their costs. It's worth it for some of the proofs that can be found there though. I've also stumbled across American Gold Coin Shop which also has some interensting stuff, and a few at good prices.

This is FAR from a comprehensive list, but hopefully it provides some of the collectors out there with resources I didn't know of when I began... Just remember, though I'm certainly not the first to say it, that you should only buy raw coins if you know the series extremely well. Some people are very good at making fakes, and loads of people clean and tone coins. We've all been burned at least once...

I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to all of this knowledge. It is greatly appreciated (and doesn't go unnoticed) by novice collectors like myself.

I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to all of this knowledge. It is greatly appreciated (and doesn't go unnoticed) by novice collectors like myself.

I second that! :applause:

there is some counterfiet coins going around,so how do you know which ones on ebay arnt? i saw a 1921 d merc dime on ebay that was clearly a 1924 they tryed to make a 1921.just got a real 1921 d today and sent out to be graded to NGC.hoping it comes back closer to very fine.is a nice coin for its age.i bought it at one of my local guys who buys and sells gold and buys key date coins as well.By the way.when i get my coins back from being graded ill post them.I also agree you have to be carefull,i got some proof sets on ebay which are nice but i look really hard at anything that looks TOO GOOD.

Edited by im addicted

hello

i have no idea who im talking to,or who might be reading this.

let me tell you there are people out there that want our money,i cant believe it.

i am going through a situation now,of trying to get my money back from a person that sold me a 16D mercury dime off of EBAY that has an altered mint mark.

i bought the coin raw witch was a mistake,and sent it and six other mercs to NGC for grading.got the results back today 1/7/2011 made me sick.

i am now going through EBAY resolutions,thank GOD for buyer protection on EBAY.the money i spent on that coin is not a lot to most people,not even me at one time.but having a sick wife to take of 24/7 now and having to retire to take care of her,money really is a little tight.but this is my hobby.so with all that being said ,i think ill buy only graded coins from a reputable company such as NGC---

PCGS,well you get my meaning.

PEOPLE BEWARE!!!!!!!!! THERE REALLY ARE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT WANT OUR MONEY ILLEGALY. ITS HARD TO HAVE A GREAT DAY.

BEWARE OF N.G.A. COINS being sold on ebay. coins with equity...is a culprit. they grade coins ms 66. sent three peace dollars to be graded and all three were wire brushed damaged to give luster. dave snyder is the owner of coins with equity and is a full blown creep/ beware,beware,beware. danny fricker new guy

I'm fairly new to collecting, I'm scattered everywhere, silver,gold,platinum. new and old. I got into the hobby as an investment tool. I keep reading that collecting has nothing to do with investment, then I read about auction house pricing, coin values, raw versus slabs, etc. I must say, though, I've fallen in love with collecting, I've never sold a coin. We fool ourselves, however, to say it's not an investment tool. It's like all others, money to be made and/or money to be lost. My problem is the fact that I buy coins that I like, some raw, some slabs. The raws usually come from the mint unless I see a good looking deal on a gold indian. I find, then, that I can't part with them. There is a cycle to making money on coins. The 25th Anniversary is an example, it was hot the first week, and has now slowed. If it follows the pattern of the 2006 set, it will remain steady for a few years, have a rise in value a second time, and then find a lower fixed price. I won't be around to see it finally become a truely valuable set, which it will. I'm 70 with cancer and have decided to "save my money" for my beneficiaries in coins. It's just as good as other investment tools and a lot more fun. I do get upset with these sellers though, that work so hard, to take a picture of a gold indian, under perfect lighting and at the best of angles just to sell it for an extra $100. I know it's their living but, heck, tell me the truth, lower the cost they pay for that great picture, and we will both be happy. Guess I should only buy at coin shows.

Edited by steve1942

I am fairly new to collecting, have been collecting only for a few years. I am very new to this message board, however, I have learned a lot from reading the posts. I have mainly been collecting Morgans and have been buying larger lots of BU. I go through them and have the better ones graded (MS 63 and up). I have a fair stock pile of BU that so far is just a growing investment, however at my age I am thinking of starting to sell some of the BU. These are mainly MS 61-62. These are all raw and I have screened off an many cleaned or doctored coins as I can find. Does any one have some ideas of where I could get the best deal for selling these? Obviously if I had them all graded it would be better, but that would cost me too much.

Hi Herc, I posted your question in the "Numismatic General" forum under the name "What are the best places to sell problem-free BU Morgans?" where there is more traffic.

I'd take a look at others selling Morgans on Ebay, compare quality and their pricing. It may give you some idea of an approximate worth. I had a small supply of Morgans and Peace dollars, none were in a MS quality. I ended up selling them for metal, broke my heart but I got over $40 a coin and none were worth more than $25 as collectibles. I turned around and bought all but 2 Standing liberty quarters, I've always loved them. They are between f-12 and vf condition. Sold the Morgans and bought the quarters at the right time. The quarters on Ebay have turned to junk,most would be lucky to grade out as G. Don't know what has happened in such a short time.

Oh, got my 2 sets of 25th Anniversaries, 1 was all 70S, the other all 69's except the bullion piece which also came back as a 70. I've seen the 70 bullions going for $150,wonder if there is that kind of worth in them. Does anybody have any feelings about that coin?

Edited by steve1942

OK!!! Is this where I confess that I got carried away and bought the complete set of 32 Eisenhower Dollars raw.

Including all the proofs and uncirculated from "Arts and Coins TV".

I paid $390 (about $12 dollars per coin)including the shipping. They are beautifully bound and mounted from a company called The Dansco Corperation, 4313 West Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles.

Man, My wifes going to kill me.

Bob

Hello,

I am REALLY new at collecting coins but, I have learned a valuable lesson already: Research, Research, Research. In other words. . . know what you are buying.

I purchased two coins off of a national cable "TV marketing" show. Paid nearly three times the value of the coins. Luckily, these were my first two purchases, ever.

Since then, I have spent many hours sitting in front of my TV/computer screens with my "Red Book" in hand watching these TV marketers. As soon as they say their price, I looked the coin up in the Red Book and compared prices.

With today's technology, I can have the NGC price guide on my cellphone. When I find a coin (raw or slabbed) I look up the estimated TMV and make the comparison. The various tools that NGC site provide to it's members are extremely benificial.

Always remember, however, what is listed as TMV is an estimate. The real value in a coin is what a person is willing to pay for it and what price you are willing to sell.

I now have nearly 300 coins in my NGC registry with a mixture of raw and slabbed. I am now fine tuning and will focus on NCG slabbed coins.

Ok, I am off of my soap box.

As others have already said: The important thing is to have fun and collect what appeals to you.

Best wishes,

Jack

Hello everyone I am new to the hobby. I started out by purchasing NGC cert coins as a investment. I did some research and noticed that compared to the American dollar GOLD, Platinum and Silver coins rather certified or BU was a better investment then a savings account. Then I kind of got hooked. I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on collecting. First I want to collect all the silver AE $1 coins, mainly because they started minting them in 1986 and I was born in 87, so I though it would be cool to have a set that was "born" just one year be for me. I know I can start a subscription with us mint so I can get them all from this year forward. So is it better to get the coins from the mint and then have them graded or just buy them already graded. Second is it a better collection if they are all MS or PR? I found more silver AE in MS then PR so there's a better chance to get them all in MS. And is it worth purchasing a complete 2011 or 12 mint silver set from the mint and having it graded. Finally I tried to purchase a set of slabbed PR70 2011 Gold AE in all four denominations, the U.S. Gold Bureau wanted $6,000 for them. I saw that you can purchase them from the mint for about $3,500, ungraded in PR and in a mint capsule. Would it be worth purchasing from the mint then having it graded by NGC after wards?

I just want to thank you all for your information. I look forward to learning more from those who are more experienced.

Lately, I am sure that a lot of you have seen many disappointed enthusiasts. We seem to be the sufferers of a lot of cash starving people---whether it be just basically overgrading or washing issues. Or the cash physicians promoting various AT cash. Or maybe hairlines that were not described before the purchase. Or maybe just expert buzz of one level or another.

ergo petunia pickle bottom ergobaby sport carrier ergobaby original carrier