• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More New Sets!!!

15 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The following sets have been added to the Registry:

Carson City Morgan Dollars 1878-93 (both GSA and non-GSA)

Arkansas Halves 1935-39

Boone Halves 1934-38

Oregon Halves 1926-39

Texas Halves 1934-38

B.T. Washington Halves 1946-51

Washington & Carver Halves 1951-54

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fear you're heading down that same path that PCG$ did. The path to the useless set. frown.gif

Please resist the urge to add sets that aren't real (World War II Modern Commemoratives, Olympiad Modern Commemoratives, 1992 Year Set) or worse, have sets with varieties that don't include most of the varieties. It'll just make the registry look trashy. Before you know it, you'll have 11 different sets for Jeferson nickels like they do. That's more sets than collectors!

Nice knowing ya'.

Well fine! I'll just clear up some loose ends for the next 45 minutes or so and then I'm outta here. But, I'll be back! I'l go home and have a nice dinner and watch the Dodgers game on TV. You'll miss me until I get back around 9 PM (eaarlier if the Dodgers are stinking it up).

I've also got a box of PCG$ coins. I'm going to go see how many reg sets I can create with 20 coins. I'm guessing 100+ sets. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I don't see the big deal about adding more sets; in fact I like the idea. If someone is not interested in any of them they can just ignore them, but for someone who is interested in the coins why shouldn’t they be able to share their accomplishment with others who are interested?

I say thank you NGC! smile.gif

John.

Before you know it, you'll have 11 different sets for Jeferson nickels like they do. That's more sets than collectors!

HA!

Well I gotta agree with John on this one - why not? I mean, I specifically do not collect modern Olympic commems, so there must be a few anti-hoots out there that do! laugh.gif Probably think that the Olympic commems are the only ones to collect! I kind of like the commem sets. Why else would a person collect the Arkansas coins? tongue.gif I know a guy who collects Oregon Trail coins like they made no other! (Quite a set too). What the hell? smirk.gif

Trashy? I dunno, there are as many ways to collect coins as there are coins, so why not? Could be fun! smile.gif

Hoot

Adding more sets(why not).I'm not a dealer or even a big time collector,but if I was I would be happy to see more sets.This would be(IMHO) a prefect way to get rid of those meaningless,easy obtainable over priced coins one might have on hand. smile.gif

To me the registry is about building the best set and showing it off. I have yet to encounter a person who had the goal of building the best "1992 Year Set". I just think that these sets are a gimmick.

I also dislike where across the street they broke down one set into several sets. They've got the full set, then the full set with varieties, then the short set, then the short set with varieties, then the quasi-short set, then the quasi-sort set with varieties, then the full proof set, then the full proof set with varieties, then the.... It goes on and on and on. It's the same people who hold the top spots in most of these sets. If you hold a top complete set, then you probably also hold the top short set (with/without varieties), etc. I think it is a gimmick so that they could point to how many sets they have. They have always promoted the number of sets they have registered. Nothing like tripling the number of sets in one category by breaking it into 6 different sets. I hope that doesn't happen here. Real sets that are actually collected in the real world. Do we really want a modern small dollar type set consisting of the SBA & Sacagawea? It's coming across the street. I hope stuff like that stays across the street.

If you hold a top complete set, then you probably also hold the top short set (with/without varieties), etc.

This is largely true, but not ubiquitously so. For example, while my Jefferson set of 1938-present is among the top sets, it will never be #1, even though my 1938-64 set might be competative for such a slot. This is because I have lesser standards (grade-wise) for the coins of 1971-present than I do for the 1938-70 coins. I could also care less for competing in the 1965-present set, so I don't. People who simply wish to dominate the registries are likely collecting more for the sake of competition than anything else, although this may be a prejudicial statement.

If folks are to compete, they should choose the sets that they are most interested in and leave the otherr sets for others to compete in.

I think it is a gimmick so that they could point to how many sets they have.

What I said above.

We should be careful about criticizing the development of sets and subsets. Afterall, any set is a subset, except for a complete set of U.S. coins. A good example of this is the commem type set of 1892-1954. A lot of people collect this set and it seems perfectly acceptable to have this set in the registries. Why? Why not just say that you should have one set - U.S. commemoratives? Period. The answer is simply because type collecting is a viable art in this endeavor. Others consider their "niches" viable as well and it's good for the registries to respond to this. This should create diversity. What we should criticise is domination of multiple related sets by particular collectors, not the diversity of the registries.

Hoot

Just remember, you can now use your 1964 Kennedy in MS in 11 different PCGS sets.

I get tired of looking over there and seeing a second With Variety set that only has one more coin than the standard set. Then you have 20 participants register both sets and double the number of collectors.