• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACG Grading. Any information... ?

14 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of purchasing a nicly toned coin that is slabbed ACG. I'm wondering if they we're a reputable firm.

Any advice?

First of all, welcome to the forum Carterofmars! hi.gif

I don’t think so, you must view this coin as raw; IMHO, the opinion printed on the plastic it’s in is worthless.

The coin you’re looking at may be a very good problem free specimen, 893crossfingers-thumb.gif it’s just that you have to decide for yourself with no help from the firm that graded, many of the coins they have slabbed are over graded and/or have problems like cleaning and artificial toning. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have been collecting coins for about 12 years now......the day I purchase a ACG slabbed coin is the day I know I have lost what little bit of sense the good Lord gave me......but that's just my personal opinion. thumbsup2.gif

I agree with rexcat. I have purchased a couple of nice coins in ACG holders, but they were way overgraded. I got them only because the coins were nice and the price was right. If you buy from the seller who grades and sells them then it is not possible to get a good deal at all! Buy the coin and not the holder!

ACG - NTC

Figure on at least two grades OVER - In my experience any way. If you want the coin get it, If its investment forget it

headbang.gif

Mike

ACG - NTC

Figure on at least two grades OVER - In my experience any way. If you want the coin get it, If its investment forget it

headbang.gif

Mike

two grades(if you're lucky!) and plenty of problems! 893whatthe.gif

My advice: RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a few - a very few - coins in ACG slabs that are actually properly graded and/or described. However, I would estimate that overall, at least 97% of the coins encapsulated by ACG slabs would NOT cross to a meaningful service.

Remember, ACG does not certify grades, they merely render an opinion - and the fact that they have no guarantee should tell you where they value their own opinions.

ONLY NGC, PCGS, ANACS and ICG "certify" their grades by offering a money-back guarantee.

Discount any ACG coin very, very heavily against a similarly graded coin in an NGC holder.

James

I think anyone who submits to ACG intends to deceive buyers. Run away from this coin, and from dealers who handle the junk.

This happened to me when I was a newbie. I point blank asked the dealer if there was any difference between slabs. He blatantly told me that they were all professional services with no differences between them. All coins which I ever did get from him were problem coins which were in ACG and NTC holders.

I have two proof Kennedy halfs that might actually be the grade that ACG marked on the slab. However, I have decided that this was an accidental grading error that has never been repeated with any ACG graded coins in all the years that I have owned these proofs.

I have the same problem if anyone can help. I found an 1893 CC Morgan Dollar. It's in an ACG case. It doesn't look like it's cleaned. The both it's in is filled with silver and at least 100+ Morgan dollars. So I assume he wouldn't try to peddle a counterfeit coin. Advice would be much appreciated. 

16114285074821251680143.jpg

1 hour ago, TheOneandOnlyTacitus said:

I have the same problem if anyone can help. I found an 1893 CC Morgan Dollar. It's in an ACG case. It doesn't look like it's cleaned. The both it's in is filled with silver and at least 100+ Morgan dollars. So I assume he wouldn't try to peddle a counterfeit coin. Advice would be much appreciated. 

16114285074821251680143.jpg

Crack it... Seriously... Alan Hagar and ACG are persona non grata in the comunity...

If you want it in a slab send it in but it has a stigma in that plastic.

An old thread -- but same advice: Assume the coin is "raw" and grade it based on what you see not what you want to see. Flea market booths are commonly filled with overpriced coins, so research the FMV of an 1893-CC in Good condition.