• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the most intelligent coin dealers to converse with?

13 posts in this topic

I have had many, many a conversation with coin dealers in the past, and I must say, the great majority have not the brightest bulbs in the world. I find many foreign coin dealers located in the US to be much more worldly and sophisticated than the slab guys. There is a part time ancient coin dealer name Gregg Thompson, whose knowledge and perspectives are truly fascinating. Any other perspectives?

TRUTH

To me Rick Snow is more a numismatic scholar than a coin dealer. A bit shy (refreshing), if you spend some time with him his depth of knowledge in his specialties makes you all ears. He takes as much time studying US historical events as he does the coins and minting process from those periods.

Dale Williams of Williams Galler-Collector USA here in Bozeman is a great source of knowledge about the hobby and its evolution in the 70s and beyond. He was a PCGS grader in the early days and know a lot about that industry. Great person to talk to and he's always willing, no matter how naive a person is. His partner Dan Wahr is also knowledgable about the trappings of the current market.

Hoot

I always enjoy talking to Rick Snow, Ed Hipps, Ira Stein, and Colonel Butternut (?) at shows when I can make one.

I finally met Mark Feld and will be sure to stop and see him now each time.

I am sure there are others but these guys are a pleasure just to talk coins with.

For GSA Morgans and NGC/PCGS Modern Commemoratives, by far the overall best is Randy Schultz- ERSCOIN. This 30+ year dealer is by far the most honest, educated and collector "friendly" one I've ever had the pleasure to meet and do business. His coins are very prominent in some of NGC's Top Registry Collections. smile.giftg64155@aol.com

Truth,

If you're truly speaking of intelligence, I'd put Jim Halperin, Steve Ivy and John Albanese up there, among the very brightest.

There are plenty of other very smart coin dealers whose names I did not mention, though - some converse well and others do not. Without making specific reference to any I have named above (or any I did not), those with bigger brains aren't necessarily the best to talk to and those with smaller ones aren't necessarily the worst. wink.gif

Rick Snow, Q, Mark Feld, Larry Whitlow and several of the local dealers who show up monthly for the South Bend coin show. You get completely different perspectives from the local dealers and national ones.

I prefer to have conversations with the members of this forum.

Sometimes Dealers at shows feel trapped, no way out, when they're behind they're tables conversing. I've seen more than one get that glazed over look in their eyes as they attempt to understand what a Collector is telling them.

I did have a great conversation with David Lange though before I even knew who he was (his loop, pulled out to look at a coin I offered to show him 45 minutes into the conversation had his name on it I recognized).

Great guy and a wealth of knowledge.

In no particular order:

1) Jay Cline re SLQs; he is in a class by himself when it comes to SLQs

2) Mike Printz of Whitlow re 19th Century silver type

3) Tom Reynolds, Jim McGuigan, Doug Bird & Jack Beymer re old copper

4) Mark Feld re 19th Century type