• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting a US Mint Silver Proof Set for Grading

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

If you prefer to send it in the original proof set packaging, there would be a $1 fee to remove the coins for you.

As a side note, the removal fee for proof sets is $1 per set, and coins that are sent in capsules, for example modern commemorative coins, are charged a $1 fee per capsule.

From a personal standpoint, I think the $1 fee is well worth not taking a chance of damaging the coin if submitting.

Thanks,

Andrew,

Please clarify.

Your post from a short time ago sounded like one acylic holding a proof set would be charged $1 for the 4, 5, or 6 coins depending on year etc. The NGC web site says the fee is $1 per coin which means on a 2005 proof set the acrylic which holds the cent, 2 nickels, dime, half and dollar (6 coins) would be charged $6. Please confirm is it $1 per coin or $1 per acrylic?

Hi,

To crack a proof set, it costs $1 per set. For modern commems, proof eagles, and any other single holder capsule item, it is $1 per capsule.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in my previous reply, thanks for the follow-up.

You may submit complete rolls for grading and send them in that way. I would advise that the rolls such as eagles be taped down so that they do not open up in the mail. We will professionally remove coins submitted in rolls at no additional charge.

Just to add a twist to this topic. What if I submitted a silver proof set and I wanted all the coins graded except for the cent and the nickel(s)? Would you grade/encapsulate everything else and just return the cent and the nickel(s) Or should I remove them first?