• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about an early half-dollar thread?? POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

1,427 posts in this topic

Reverse isn't as cool. I have this pic that someone said may have been from Brandon, but I didn't buy this from Anaconda. Maybe the owner before me did confused-smiley-013.gif

1838bust2.jpg

Reverse isn't as cool. I have this pic that someone said may have been from Brandon, but I didn't buy this from Anaconda. Maybe the owner before me did confused-smiley-013.gif

1838bust2.jpg

That's pretty nice looking,let me know if you ever get tired of it wink.gif

Winston, I don't know how closely you study the CBH series, but the 1810 is notorious for a weakly struck reverse that is especially visible on the eagle's right wing (viewer's left hand side). If you do trade up on this date, attempt to get one that is well struck. This will not be easy.

Tom, thanks for the info. I did not know. So far, all of my numismatic reading has been general grading/terms/where to buy/ etc.- not series specific. That will change when I start that Commemorative Coins of the United States-A Complete Encyclopedia that you recommended.

Chad, PCGS has the coin listed at $85 and there seems to be consensus that they overprice their coins. Would $75 shipped & insured be acceptable? Let me know. If not I can just through it up on ebay – no big deal.

James, I do like that coin you have there – very nice. I would like to sell mine first though. Let me sell mine and then I’ll ask you if you still have that one available. Thanks!

94obv.jpg

94rev.jpg

36half.jpg

36halfb.jpg

1815over2.jpg

I1795P8.jpg

I’m not trying to derail this thread nor making jabs at this coin, however I have begun to notice on more than one 1794 and 1795 half that there appears to be knife marks possibly consistent with someone using it for a chop block. And only this series.

Maybe some repetitive task of that era. Maybe cutting a chew of tobacco? Any thoughts on this?

I’m not trying to derail this thread nor making jabs at this coin, however I have begun to notice on more than one 1794 and 1795 half that there appears to be knife marks possibly consistent with someone using it for a chop block. And only this series.

Maybe some repetitive task of that era. Maybe cutting a chew of tobacco? Any thoughts on this?

Those marks are just where goose bit the coins as he was licking them.

Hoot

I have long read that early copper was often used to cut tobacco plugs, but have not heard that half dollars were similarly used.

To keep to the spirit of the thread-

aI1817N45.jpg

aI1817N45R.jpg

boooyaaa!

1807cappedbusthalfobverse.jpg

1807cappedbusthalfreverse.jpg

yay.gif

PERFECT, REAL nice 1807 that's seen commerce and survived in such GREAT shape. I love it!

There are just so many damn nice coins in this thread!!!