• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New coin from local coin show(Japanese yen)

14 posts in this topic

I went to a local coin show (Japan) yesterday. Surprisingly, many people were attending to the show and I even saw a few kids, whitch is unusual for a coin show in this area. might be related to the recent news that Japanese goverment auctioned some precious gold coins from Meiji-Showa ara. I wanted to fill some holed to my Japanese modern coin type set and picked up a few coins. Here's one of them. Meiji3(1870) 1 Yen. Bought from a dealer who had a dozen of them. Said they were from original roll, but could that be true? 962714-1yen.JPG962714-1yenr.JPG

962714-1yenr.JPG.37534e731a3f7618f9262f3ebe322f6d.JPG

Said they were from original roll, but could that be true?

Konnichiwa Tarosan. It's hard to believe that it has been two years since we were at the Osaka show together.

It's a beautiful con, with wonderful surfaces, but I'm not sure they used rolls in Meiji 3. If you ever get tired of owning it, let me know. wink.gif

Am I seeing the en character correctly? It looks to me like what Krause calls "Type 1" and the JNDA calls "futsuu en".

That looks pretty darn nice. Aren't all of the year 3 Meiji silver yens very expensive?

Krause - Type 1 F $120 to Type 3 Unc $2,250.

JNDA - ¥45,000 (~$395) to ¥600,000 (~$5,265) in four types and five grades.

Of course, that's cheap compared to the gold Meiji 13 - Krause $12,500 F to $50,000 Unc./JNDA ¥3.5-12 million (~($30,700-105,250) - all for a tiny $23 BV coin.. wink.gif

Roy -san

2 years ago, I didn't have much interest in Japanese coins, but I'm gradually getting into modern Japanese coins. One of the reason is early American coins are getting out of my reach, but I also find Japanese coins from Meiji-Taisho era are beautiful.

Yes, I think mine is the most common type, but I only own JINDA catalog and don't have knowledge on these. I wanted to get a good book at the show, but couldn't find any.

JamminJ

This is the most expensive coin in my Japanese coin collection, but it was much much cheaper than a seated doller from the same date in similar condition laugh.gif

JamminJ

This is the most expensive coin in my Japanese coin collection, but it was much much cheaper than a seated doller from the same date in similar condition laugh.gif

Thanks, I was just making sure. Your's looked nice so if it was relatively cheap I'd ask you to pick one up for for me should you see the dealer again. However, there's no way I could accomodate a Seated Dollar type whim!

Taroh-dono, that's one nice coin!

"might be related to the recent news that Japanese goverment auctioned some precious gold coins from Meiji-Showa ara."

Please tell me more. I don't get Yomiuri any more. frown.gif

Hi Shiroh-san, hisashiburi!!

The Japanese goverment decided to auction off gold coins they had requisitioned from the civil during WW2 and part1 auction was held early this month. They included a rare date coin whitch actually didn't circulate. I heared that the highest price realized was 1700 man yen.

You can access yahoo japan and read news and updates of Japan anytime for free wink.gif

I heared that the highest price realized was 1700 man yen.
For the Japanese number challenged, that's ¥17,000,000 (a tad less than $148,000)!

Hi Shiroh-san, hisashiburi!!

The Japanese goverment decided to auction off gold coins they had requisitioned from the civil during WW2 and part1 auction was held early this month. They included a rare date coin whitch actually didn't circulate. I heared that the highest price realized was 1700 man yen.

You can access yahoo japan and read news and updates of Japan anytime for free wink.gif

That's cool! 1,700 man! That's more than I make in a month! 893whatthe.gif

Unfortunately my PC doesn't read Japanese. 893censored-thumb.gif

That's cool! 1,700 man! That's more than I make in a month! 893whatthe.gif

Shiroh, that's actually more than what I made in the entire last year. 893censored-thumb.gif

That's one fine looking yen, I had the same thought with JJ.

I don't know how often these are counterfeited, but I would be suspicious of 100+ year old coins that looked too new.

Do you have the diagnostics of a genuine Meiji 3 nen 1 yen for comparison?

I don't know how often these are counterfeited, but I would be suspicious of 100+ year old coins that looked too new.

Do you have the diagnostics of a genuine Meiji 3 nen 1 yen for comparison?

Hey Shiroh-san!! I thought you know much more about Japanese coins than I do wink.gif

I asked about Meiji 3 nen coins to a knowledgeable collector and he said these are common in uncirculated grade. Most of uncirculated coins of this date I saw at the coins show were bright white just like other Japanese coins. I think most Japanese collectors hate toned coins( they sometimes net grade uncirculated coins to AU because of light toning....can you believe that?) and most of these coins are dipped at once. Anyway, this coins is going to PCGS someday and I'll tell you the result if it comes back in bodybag. blush.gif