• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Doubled" "Repunched" 1923-S Peace Dollar

3 posts in this topic

Ok My uncle purchased an MS-60 23-S Peace dollar from Littleton coin company, for $70, after we recieved the coin we took a closer look at it and I noticed that LIBERTY looked as if it was doubled, I could clearly see the doubling on the L, I, B, R, and T out of Liberty. Is there anything known about this in particular? confused.gif

There are many possibilities of what your uncle’s coin could be. The best expiation from your description is that the coin is most likely strike doubling, which is caused when the coin is struck, and is not a doubled die. Strike Doubling is a flat shift that has varying spreads and usually is shifted in one direction. Strike Doubling can be common on Peace dollars and I have examined many from that date with strike doubling. Strike doubling does not add any value to the coin and is not recognized or noted by NGC.Since have not seen the coin I cannot be certain of what it is but that is my guess from my experience.

I however would like to recommend that if you or your uncle are interested in varieties on Peace dollars that your read Jeff Oxman’s book on TOP-50 Peace Dollar VAMs. Each Morgan and Peace Dollar can be classified by the die and die pairing that struck the coin, and while many are still being found by sharp collectors the TOP-50 Guide gives a great overview of which coins are most dramatic and most desired by collectors. It is also the only guide that NGC will use to recognize Peace Dollar VAMs with.

I hope this helps, it is the best I can offer you with out viewing