• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your UNofficial Registry Ranking

9 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone else does this?

I am building a set of coins which I track in an Excel spreadsheet, but for several reasons I do not want to list it in the registry at this time. However, curious to where I would rank if I entered the set, I have made notes of the point values for the coins I have to see where I stand.

Anyone else keep track of where they would rank with their unregistered set?

I keep my coin data on Excel spreadsheets also and this includes my complete type set information. Of course, I am listing one coin each week in my set so it is registered. However, the entire set is listed in the spreadsheet with all point totals out of curiosity.

That's a good idea, but why not just register under with NGC under a Registry Title no one would link to you? -Best of both worlds.

When I list my set, I want pictures with the coins. I take a lot of care in finding coins I like. Sure, I have some probable hole fillers, but for the most part, they are coins that I really like. I don't want to share a "grade number" with others. I want to share the coins. Until I get accurate photos of them, I'm not going to list them.

I also want the set to be fairly well complete. Right now there are too many holes.

I'm also not competing with others based on points, so I'm not willing at this point to just list the set for rank only. However, I can break into the "top 10" with my current point total. smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

I like the idea of registry because I can see whitch date in whitch color/grade I have from anywhere I can access internet.

And you can keep your registry private if you want.

If I get the slightest curiousity I just list the coins. To me the registry is like a coin folder.

I doubt I will ever have the finest set in the world. I also question the exactness of the rankings. I mean I never worry if my set is ranked 32 when I think it is better than the 31'st ranked set.

The only time I consider UN official registry ranking is when there is a new catagory and I have only one coin that fits. I think to myself "I could be in the top five before anybody else discovers this set!"

Hi

I keep track of my collections the same way on Excel. Great program and easily will tell you where you stand on registry and as you know other important information such as: Price Paid, Last Ebay Sale Price-(if avail), NGC/PCGS Population, # graded, # in 70; # in my grade as % of total graded, gives me relative rarity to the best possible; I run separate for NGC/PCGS coins I own and link the pages to give the total # of combined PCGS/NGC coins.

Of course you might want to weigh your PCGS Coins a little higher in the 70 grade or other grades where applicable. My 30 70's are all NGC, so this is not real scientific. I think you mentioned Franklins. I don't collect these coins but found something interesting from Rick T. He charges more for PCGS Proof Franklins, but inversely charges more for NGC FBL Franklins. You might want to factor this in. Good luck. And PCGS's loss is our gain. smile.gif TG

It's interesting to see where you would rank among the top sets.I have to go to the PCGS registry to see the set i'm collecting.NGC at this time doesn't list my set.At this point in time I would be currently # 1,but who's counting.Now I have turned my interests smile.gif in the NGC registry to Washington proofs 50-64.