• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change the grade ranges?

Change the Grade Range?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Change the Grade Range?

12 posts in this topic

Should the grading services net grade a coin with rub or an uncirculated coin outside the current ranges? Some AU coins are worth up to MS64 money. Some UNC coins will only sell for AU55 money. Should the service assign AU64 for the former and MS55 for the latter?

Change the Grade Range?Yes, value the coin and then place the proper grade for the valueNo, tradition dictates that an AU coin maxes out at 58 even if it's worth significantly more.

TDN really needs to hire a competent IT guy for his many IT needs... He has throughput issues when accessing Heritage's site *and* he can't seem to post a proper poll.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Maybe he can ask Laura for pointers!

laugh.gif

EVP

Yes, value the coin and then place the proper grade for the value

I'd rather say, "Yes, place the proper grade, as the two scales (AU and MS) naturally overlap" blush.gif

Hoot

I wouldn't want to see AU coins, no matter how nice, given an MS designation *** unless *** both a technical and market grade are listed -- similar to "net grading," but upward instead of the usual downward. For example: "AU-58 details, net MS-62" or something like that. As a type collector of PQ AU-58s, I've noted that it's simply a fact of life that the particularly nice certified 58s *will* go for MS money, and it you won't pay MS money, you're going to get ordinary pieces.

But I would strenuously object to simply changing the grade to a market grade -- that is, simply marking the aforementioned coin as "MS-62" without explanation -- and making no mention of the fact that the coin does show some wear, breaks in luster, etc.

IMHO it would create more confusion than solutions. Most of us have learned to live with the AU58 grade, even though it is misapplied much of the time recently.

But I would strenuously object to simply changing the grade to a market grade -- that is, simply marking the aforementioned coin as "MS-62" without explanation -- and making no mention of the fact that the coin does show some wear, breaks in luster, etc.

What he said!