• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #2 - This is a 2 part question

24 posts in this topic

• Administrator

What is the meaning of the motto “E. Pluribus Unum”?

When did the motto first appear on US coins?

First post that correctly answers both of the above questions wins 5 FREE NGC Economy submissions.

Good Luck! smile.gif

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

Okeedokee - "E Pluribus Unum" literally means "From Many, One" but may also be translated as "One From Many" or even (as Ben Franklin loosely interpreted it) "We Are One".

Ben's motto first appeared on the Fugio Cent in 1787 (We Are One), but the first appearance of the actual motto (E Pluribus Unum) from the great seal of the United States appeared on the 1795 Heraldic (half) eagle.

So, it depends how literally you meant the question smile.gif!

Hoot

• Administrator

Thank you for playing Numisma-Quest!

This week's question and answers:

What is the meaning of the motto “E. Pluribus Unum”?

The motto means one unity composed of many parts

When did the motto first appear on US coins?

Congratulations ritchie for being the first to answer correctly! Your prize is a certificate for 5 FREE NGC Economy submissions.

And now, for the results of the drawing from all the remaining contestants who answered correctly.....

The winner is a2labmom!

Your prize is "The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties, Fourth Edition, Vol. 1"

Your prizes will be sent out today.

Thank you all for your posts. Please stop back again on Friday for week #3.

It's interesting, I did a little more research into this today, and although the first regular (circulation coinage) US issue (and certainly the first Mint issue) bearing E PLURIBUS UNUM was made in 1795, there was (as some noted) the New Jersey 1786 copper and also a 1786 US pattern issue (I'm unsure of denomination) that bore the motto. The first congressionally sanctioned coin with an interpretation of the motto was the Fugio cent of 1787. There is no doubt of the ambiguity of the answer to this question... all in fun smile.gif

Hoot

So I found this question so interesting that I did a little further research and decided to follow up... the motto E PLIRIBUS UNUM does indeed appear on the New Jersey copper dated 1786 (as some observed). That coin, however was not authorized by the continental congress, rather the New Jersey State Assembly. In 1787, similarly New York issued coins with the motto. Also in 1787, the Continental Congress approved the issuance of the Fugio cent, which bore the interpretation of the motto "We Are One". There were apparently a number of patterns that bore the motto around this time. The first official US (Mint) coinage to bear the motto was indeed the 1795 half eagle.

Fairly interesting information that makes the numisma-quest fun!

Hoot

• Administrator

I am officially on my toes!

The question this week will leave no room for interpretation. wink.gif

Thank you for the prize.. I enjoy these and was very surprised to have won. This is a great idea for board involvement and think that it will only assist in increasing participation.

Thanks

Ritchie

Yes! congrats ritchie and a2labmom! Killer. smile.gif

Dena et al., please forgive me of my obsessions - this stuff occupies entirely too much of my mind. lol!:^)

Hoot

My book arrived in the mail on Saturday. Cool book! smile.gif

I wound up spending half of the remainder of my weekend checking out my coins for die varieties. wink.gif

Thanks, Dena!

I got my cert in the mail yesterday. Thanking you all at NGC very much for the opportunity (and the certificate).

Keep up the wonderful work.