• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do we participate in the registry?

5 posts in this topic

Cross-posted from across the street.

--

Not just here, but also at the other one... I'm curious to know what kinds of satisfaction the various folks get from this.

I first heard about this through a dealer friend, who thought it would be nice if I had a complete set that was all in same-generation holders and consecutively numbered. Having my name on it would also be nice.

I didn't care too much, but got nagged into registering my sets by another friend.

Now, all I get from this is headaches. It requires time on my part to enter the coins in. And, I still don't have a complete set of consecutively numbered holders. And, I don't much care about the bragging rights because I only care about the opinions of those who've seen my coins in person.

All in all, I guess I'm hoping I can get more reward from this by living vicariously through some of you folks...

EVP

I first got involved in the registries to help motivate my concentration on collecting a particular series! I am still a bit of a generalist (I'm that way as an ecologist as well) and I will often buy coins completely outside of my areas of concentration simply based on their personal eye appeal. Still, the registries got me started thus and also served as a way of focusing energy in the collector community that I strive to become a part of (e.g., here with the NGC forums). But the registry has taken on new meanings to me. I now enjoy the forum of friendly competition. I find the atmosphere of competition much friendlier at NGC than PCGS, so I stick here. (I also hate the PCGS politics). I also like the chance to actually say something about my coins with the hope that the remarks may be enjoyed and also add some pics to show their beauty. I simply like community and the registries offer a focus around which community, mutuality of endeavor, support, competition, friendly relations, and education can occur.

Hoot

I tend to be an Eclectic Collector (read one who buys anything he likes). That is why I am in 10 Registries, not a couple. I thought the Registries would help me focus in a couple areas of concentration and I am beginning to gain that focus. Now I just need to reallocate some resources.

I like the human and intellectual interface on this Registry. The people here, for the most part, are considered thinkers with interesting opinions. The other Registry does not make me feel that way and I do not like the them and us exclusionary tone over there. I initially came here because I refused to cross over my NGC-Peace Dollars into PCGS. tongue.gif

I wish that owner's of some higher Registry Collections would take pictures. Poor though they may be, for the rest of us to see. tongue.gif

It's relaxing and fun. I like the way NGC tells you what points you've added to the set when another addition is entered.

Just like looking up your current submission to see what the grades are, the Registry is a diversion on the everyday mundane events of life.

One Saturday I had nothing better to do then to throw some coins into the registry. Not a smart remark, its the truth. The sets were all finished except one coin. I started entering in my third set and got bored. Having said that I really enjoy the page that shows all the new addtions, I find myself clicking on the entire set to see what else they have.