• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Buying Silver Bullion a good idea? Any thoughts appreciated also!

Is buying Silver Bullion Rounds a good Idea?  

984 members have voted

1. 1. Is buying Silver Bullion Rounds a good Idea?

101 posts in this topic

With the use of credit/debit cards we won't need change soon. Coins will be a novelty item. I don't know about you, but I never have change in my wallet anymore.... There is just very little use for cash or change these days. That's worth about 2¢.
I agree - I rarely carry cash; let alone coins. I use a checkbook to pay for my haircut since my barber does not take credit/debit. Everything else is either purchased using credit/debit.

When I started about 9 years ago that is primarily what I purchased.... JM bars and Sunshine rounds etc.. once I put away a certain amount I felt comfortable with then I started to purchase numismatic coins on around a 1/2 basis but also used some bullion here and there to trade for nice slabbed coins and sets. More today I buy more numimatic coins but will still pick up a 5oz bar or so here or there. diversity is good

This is an older post, I am glad to see I'm not crazy buying silver, brass, and lead bullion in addition to freeze dried food, and only having a mortgage payment. The only hard decision I have is which category to purchase from next. When do you think silver will shoot up again?

Silver any Form is Great/ yet Eagles have to be the "worst" Buy unless have special Yr and all Mints graded PCGS only 70 first strike does not matter the 70 is 70..

Ok say why Eagle 1/ lowest monetary value on planet If needed turn to Cash which is T.P in USD anway / IT all melts the same/ so if not doing lowest mintage coins and PCGS 70 graded then get lowest over spot 1 can..

I have been a Hedge Fund buyer for 20 yrs in precious metals/ and I buy Maples Libertads/ most pure Maple Libertad very low mintage yet lower mark-up and if used currency conversion to buy from MO mint in Mexico

Eres muy Felize e mass Barrato...

So if name of game is amass silver then do-not buy Overpriced coins/ bars/ I must laugh when 2 bars sitting both .999 pure and 1 Engelhard loaf style and 25% more but same weight... Then those that buy ART silver for 200$ per a ounce because cool.... well investing is not pretty "unless buy art/ even that is Personal like/ but cannot say "It does not all melt the same? Because does..

And yes Silver by % over last 10yrs has outdone Gold, and if had actually Dca purchase would be up more "think in % not dollars.... Like a soda at 2 stores 1 is 1$ other is 1.29$ some say well only 29 cents NO 29% more now take that to buying 100k of silver so if 29% does not matter then would pay 129k for same 100k of silver??

World is low on SILVER it is a need not want/ if 1% of China wanted a microwave and refrigerator/ our 2 YR supply of silver would go Negative..

SLV suppreses price as all contracts Short or with Puts on futures/ so Silver #1 way to go/ how you buy is your own way, but if .999 fine why pay More..

ok Go Silver 689-727 by 2017 and Platinum and Palladium will also be up a hefty % Gold well "It is not used/ very little and can be found on ground/ other metals and rare earth metals must be worked hard to get, Gold will run per fear yet Reality will put Silver still as top % Up asset...

My opinion and per what have lived 24x7 for 20 yrs... Check the facts it backs what say... Eagle 1$ Maple 5$ Panda 10yaun/ which is 16$USD.....

Hope makes sense

YES see Cheap Sunshine Mint Rounds way to go/ know what the USA contracts them to make Eagles but are way to high % over spot...

Again besides being a 1$ demonination people also overpay Finest Silver Pure is Maple and I like 100 and 1000 ounce Bars and 1000$ face 54.4 lbs of Junk silver.....

I can always shave what need from a bar and pay for when do 1000 ounce bars 4-8 cents over spot/ plus I have furnace and Crucible and Pour so can make what I want/ Get it as cheap as possible and war Nickles to replace those overpriced Fractional rounds as 1 nickle is 1.90 on melt 40 or 2$ roll is 2.3 Ounces Silver

many places sell for 1.20-1.60 per coin so as long as has big MINMARK above Monticello on coin was made after OCT 8 1942 and Silver alloyed..

Sounds as doing good/ oh definition of Bullion is a Ungraded coin.....

Not a Bar.. Non graded is bullion for all purpose and IF GRADE PCGS only a 70 is no 70 unless by PCGS even as dealer when have NGC and PCGS same grade will get 11-20% more if PCGS plus can see coin much better as NGC smashes coin in and cannot see edge's I wonder many times when see a NGC coin if it does have a Edge?? And some of best coins have the lettering on the EDGE.... Libertads.. is 1/ the 2009 gold high relief is edge wriiten/ and many good coins have flat edge/ no reeds and is lettered on edging with ngc cannot see if reeded or flat and loose best part of coin.....

Keep up good work/ again my opinion that may be backed by Looking at Coins and how each grades and mounts coin....

Interesting to see the run of silver from when David first made this thread.

Keep on adding to your store of wealth, folks. 2c

Since i am new to this forum i reading some of the older topics and thinking of how things have not really changed in the past 8 years.

I think that buying bullion is a great idea but i feel even stronger on Diversity. Although there are some great designs in bullion like the 2oz pirateer and the Zombucks, these are just bullion and time will tell if a premium is warranted.

When i first started stacking my goal was lowest cost for as many ounces as possible. After i hit 1000 ounces i felt like i needed to do something different so i started buying sovereign bullion and ASE's since these were backed by gvt mints and had a denomination on them. The main reason i started with foreign bullion was the artistry. Libertads are my favorite along with the perth mint lunar stuff. These do have a higher premium but they do hold up well in the secondary market. At the time i started with collecting foreign bullion i started with collecting slabbed coins of the same as well as collecting sets.

Over all, i think that a smart way to go is collecting by 3rds. 1/3 low cost bullion, 1/3 foreign modern coins and ASE, and 1/3 slabbed numismatic coins of absolute rarity.

With the use of credit/debit cards we won't need change soon. Coins will be a novelty item. I don't know about you, but I never have change in my wallet anymore.... There is just very little use for cash or change these days. That's worth about 2¢.
I agree - I rarely carry cash; let alone coins. I use a checkbook to pay for my haircut since my barber does not take credit/debit. Everything else is either purchased using credit/debit.

I like to keep $1,000.00 in my wallet at all times.

edited to correct spelling:

I'd like to keep $1,000.00 in my wallet at all times.