• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New NGC dime added to my 20'th century proof type set

14 posts in this topic

Looks like it could get the * designation, but what do I know. I haven't been too lucky getting the * designation.

It looks like it is cameo from the photo. Is this accurate or is it just the photo?

Is it currently slabbed? ANACS?

I would doubt that it's cameo simply from the fact that you can make practically any brilliant proof coin look cameo in an image by tilting it slightly in the light.

Is the toning a medium navy blue? The obverse looks like that while the reverse appears to have some other colors tucked away.

Thanks gang!

The obverse has medium cameo contrast. The reverse not much. If the coin didn't have toning you could tell better but I don't think it would make cameo because of the reverse.

The obverse does appear "medium navy blue" but also has rose highlights. The reverse is not as thick with color. It appears more like a thin coat of blue ice is covering the coin. Actually the lower reverse is burnt orange. The reverse is rotated about %20.

This coin has been in this holder for many years. I also have a Roosevelt I think should be a star. I don't know about these MS Mercs but I like this one.

I also have a 1940 Merc in PCGS PR 65 I think is close to cameo. I plan on cracking that out and sending to NGC. So there you go, I am almost ready for a new submission to NGC!

Gorgeous business strike Merc, Carl. As soon as I saw the reverse I knew it was a '45-S because of that hoard of them graded several years ago.

i have seen this proof merc dime and it is deeply mirrored and is cameo but would not get the cameo designation because of the toning

the toning is superb in person and this coin needs to be sight seen to be fully apprecaited

the reverse is rotATED 20% and IS IN AN NGC PROOF 67 holder a really nice! 67

sincerely michael

It's nice to hear more about the coin. It's also too bad that the grading services seem to hold down the coins that might otherwise be true cameos because of their toning. Of course, if you are fortunate enough to pick up a coin such as this at a reasonable price then the buyer is the big winner.

I paid a premium for this coin. Not a huge one though. I looked at lots of proof Mercury dimes and just wasn't completely happy with any of them --- until now.

I think this is the kind of coin that stays in people's collections for a long time. Anyway it has found a home with me.