• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"In God We Trust" ok for coins. How about schools?

38 posts in this topic

There's a pretty interesting article in the April issue of Coinage about the first use of 'In God We Trust' on the 2-cent piece. Now, I'm not going to say whether it was right or wrong, but the thoughts that eventually cause the US to do it in the midst of the Civil War are certainly worth considering.

Interesting and thought provoking article RWW. I wonder what the changes would be in this country today if we raged war on our own soil and half a million people died over issues of federalism and states' rights.

Hoot

Hoot -

It sure puts a whole different spin on things, doesn't it? I know we're trying to preserve our freedoms, defend our honor, and extract a measure of revenge - they we're trying to preserve a country who's fabric was torn and continued existance was in the balance.

Its interesting (and quaint?) how they were concerned that 'antiqutarians in the future' would view the extinct US as a heathen nation that made no mention of the God that had been the nation's source of unity and strength - so, by putting it on the nation's coinage there would be a record of that belief for the ages.

Perspective is an interesting thing, isn't it?

Oldtrader3 I understand your pain!

this country was built on the choice of religious freedom.but do you really want a school teacher that you don't know teaching your kids about religion!!

the laws and rules have changed. the things that were written into the constitution years ago need to be updated for the future. how this can be done? I don't even know were to start.

I do know that in god we trust on a coin won't hurt anyone.but I really don't want anyone but me teaching my kids about god.

buy the way what religion your kids are being taught could be different buy state. think about it.

rob.

There is nothing wrong with putting In God We Trust on coinage. It is perfectly obvious that religion should not be taught in schools, however. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want and should not be forced to follow to a certain idea about religion. That just sounds like common sense to me, so I don't realy know why there is a debate about that. However, a student should be aloud to pray in school if they want to. It is their right as an individual to do so. It certainly does not hurt anyone.

Just a thought:

Some people are even trying to ban religious television programs. That is just crazy. If you don't like to see religion and are offended by it, CHANGE THE CHANNEL! Could one not argue that eliminating all religion from being publicized would be favoritism to Atheism. Couldn't one say that they were offended when they didn't see religion on TV?

Rob:

I have had my children enrolled in Catholic schools in Utah, since they were 5 years old. Despite my personal feelings about religions in schools, it was the lesser of 2 evils while living in Utah.