• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sending to get graded

10 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, derick pope said:

hello, I have some 1980s-1990 pennys in great shape. my question is I would just hate to send a coin to get graded and put in a protective case for 60$ if the coin aint even worth, any tips

The odds of one of those deserving to be sent in for grading and encapsulation rank right up there with my odds of being named the next Pope. Every day this forum gets 5-10 posts of junko post-1980 pennies that people imagine might be special. Some are actually nice; many are parking lot or corroded pennies. Either way, you could go through several thousand such coins and probably not find one that would deserve spending $30-60 on grading. It's not that they aren't nice; it's that hardly any pennies from that era have any significant premium. Finding one worth $0.50 would be quite a feat. Finding one worth $100 would take far more time than simply earning $100 by working at a stop-and-rob, even at poverty-state minimum wage.

First welcome to the forum.  There is very little we can do or help to guide you with such limited information or at the very least some quality photos of the coins you plan to submit.   For example are you wanting to sell these or are they for your personal collection?   Your comment "if the coin aint even worth" suggest that you may not have the expertise to identify or grade coins in the upper MS ranges.   In which case you would very likely be wasting your time and money on submitting these.

Lincoln cents of that timeframe would need to grade at least MS67 to break even and MS68 or better to make a profit after submission costs (assuming that your goal is to sell).  If your just wanting to test your grading skills I suggest that you pick one or two that (to your eye) are the best of all that you have saved and submit just those.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:58 PM, derick pope said:

put in a protective case for 60$ if the coin aint even worth

You don't have to spend that much.  Go on EBay and research 'Coin Holders" or 'Coin Slabs' and you can get a fairly nice 'case' for your penny.  

Derick, coin grading is expensive and most of the time you will not be pleased with the result unless you can show some of your cents with good clear, in focus, cropped photos to this of us here. It might save you a lot of money. You can always do as I did, fill some books. For $25 you can buy all the books necessary, and have the enjoyment of filling them. It took me about six months but I have every cent from 1909 to 2021 all mints with the exception of the vaunted 1909 s VDB. It will take a while to get that one. Welcome to the forum and happy collecting. Our rule of thumb is that if a coin is not worth $150, it probably isn’t worth grading. Exceptions do apply for rarity.

thank yall for the info, I got the collection from a estate sale ranging from 1909 to the 80s, but since then ive started my owen just for the cool fact of the  history behide them and being so many different coins i didnt even know about, not knowing that theres is a big part of coin collecting not just colllecting but what to look for. but thanks a again for yalls info much appreciated!!!!!

On 9/23/2021 at 5:37 AM, derick pope said:

thank yall for the info, I got the collection from a estate sale ranging from 1909 to the 80s, but since then ive started my owen just for the cool fact of the  history behide them and being so many different coins i didnt even know about, not knowing that theres is a big part of coin collecting not just colllecting but what to look for. but thanks a again for yalls info much appreciated!!!!!

That's what keeps me collecting coins: the history. Many a great collection has begun with an estate distribution or sale. Others, like mine, began with a find in the dirt.

Your best friend would be the Red Book, It contains the highest concentration of useful information about US coins of which I am aware. Even as the price guide goes stale (it being fixed at the time of publication), from a relative standpoint it will, well, remain relevant.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, Alex in PA. said:

You don't have to spend that much.  Go on EBay and research 'Coin Holders" or 'Coin Slabs' and you can get a fairly nice 'case' for your penny.  

This.  Welcome. Get the redbook it doesn’t have to be new couple years old will do. Study study study. We are here doing what your doing. Learning and sharing our knowledge.