• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Graded Coin ?

9 posts in this topic

Hello Coin Lovers, I have heard a lot about fake coins, in fact a shop owner said that there are slabbed fake coins. I was looking at some of my slabs and something looks odd. I purchased a coin and when I received it I removed the sticker a lot of sellers use to track inventory but upon removing I noticed what appears to a hole in label inside slab (it almost looks like the 'white" backing coin is placed on before being slabbed. Am I worried for nothing or did I get ripped off LOL ? Experts please help :) 

IMG_1253.jpeg

IMG_1254.jpeg

I just ran your Cert. Number on NGC verify and it comes back to this coin, no photos for it though on the verification site.  Not that this helps but it appears to be a legit slabbed NGC graded coin.

Edited by GBrad

Thanx for comments, I also had run # so I felt better. I understand label torn but it definitely not from label I removed and is inside slab. Thanx again maybe when I send some coins in for grading - I will have it put in new slab ( I know its a waste of money but my OCD will prevail :) 

It could of been damaged before dealer gotten it then had it covered up where hologram is before you bought it , cause they know some collectors like me would point it out and offer a slight reduced price ! I collect older NGC slabs to preserve them from crack outs if I see hologram missing or ripped off whatever I offer a lower price . I feel the old slab is part of the deal when buying a coin as well . It’s like buying an antique from a bygone time , some folks are carried away with the crack out game they crack coins out of these older holders once the damage is done it’s done ! Never coming back, they are becoming scarcer and scarcer as the years going on. When it comes to older coin holders the old saying “buy the coin not the holder” doesn’t apply with old school holders fewer and fewer survivors out there . Especially old school holders with world coins in them