• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1994-D penny double ear
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm looking at this coin and coming to the the conclusion that these are air bubbles. Looking at the 2006 in the photo I put on here and looking at mine , that would be a air bubble wouldn't it. I really didn't find anything on a 94 but this is the closest I got. If anyone has more to add, please help me learn more thanks. Joe

20210917_150044.jpg

20210917_145408.jpg

20210917_150131.jpg

Hi Joe!!!

Well, that's an interesting 1994-D Lincoln there......I'm not certain but I'm going to vote for one hell of a plating blister in an interesting place.  I couldn't find anything listed for a 1994-D that looked like that in any variety listings.  But I could be wrong.....I'm sure the others will chime in soon.

~Tom

On 9/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Joe!!!

Well, that's an interesting 1994-D Lincoln there......I'm not certain but I'm going to vote for one hell of a plating blister in an interesting place.  I couldn't find anything listed for a 1994-D that looked like that in any variety listings.  But I could be wrong.....I'm sure the others will chime in soon.

~Tom

Thanks Tom, I think you're right a plating blister getting ready to turn into Zinc rot.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:28 PM, Hinkle said:

Thanks Tom, I think you're right a plating blister getting ready to turn into Zinc rot.

No problem, Joe.  Always a pleasure to help you out.  And you're likely right on about that zinc rot.....I'd say most Zincolns are likely doomed at some point.  Zinc rots with little provocation anyway, but the worst thing you can do is plate zinc with another metal.....that makes it even more unstable and prone to disintegrating.  Another genius move by the U.S. Mint.

Edited by Mohawk

I will have to say that is one incredibly horrible place for a plating bubble to show up!  That would fool a lot of people for sure.  I actually found a 2006 Linc just the other day and thought I'd found the DDO ear variety for that year. It looked almost 100% identical to the known variety but I was able to take a toothpick and well..... it was a small blister..... dang it!!!!!:mad:  You may want to do the same thing to yours and take a toothpick, press straight down on the oddity under the ear of your coin, and see what happens.  If it disturbs the 'lump' anyway at all then it is a blister.  

On 9/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, GBrad said:

I will have to say that is one incredibly horrible place for a plating bubble to show up!  That would fool a lot of people for sure.  I actually found a 2006 Linc just the other day and thought I'd found the DDO ear variety for that year. It looked almost 100% identical to the known variety but I was able to take a toothpick and well..... it was a small blister..... dang it!!!!!:mad:  You may want to do the same thing to yours and take a toothpick, press straight down on the oddity under the ear of your coin, and see what happens.  If it disturbs the 'lump' anyway at all then it is a blister.  

Yeah....those plating blisters can be absolute bastards and fake you out like crazy!! When I was first starting back up with collecting in 1999, I cannot tell you how many 1980's and 1990's Zincolns faked me out with things like this.  It's a common occurrence with Zincolns and people who look at coins closely.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:15 PM, Mohawk said:

Yeah....those plating blisters can be absolute bastards and fake you out like crazy!! When I was first starting back up with collecting in 1999, I cannot tell you how many 1980's and 1990's Zincolns faked me out with things like this.  It's a common occurrence with Zincolns and people who look at coins closely.

Yup!!! I hate the Zincolns and what they have evolved into.  Long past are the days of real copper Cents and true doubled dies which is what got me into collecting in the first place.   Sad......very sad!  But.... our great guberment (what's left of it, if anything at all) I believe is trying to eliminate coinage all together, I'm pretty convinced. If I am breaking a "political rule" here on the forum then SO BE IT!  If God loving Americans can't stand behind what is right and correct then to heck with all else!!!  Just my 2 cents here!!!!

On 9/19/2021 at 3:36 AM, GBrad said:

Yup!!! I hate the Zincolns and what they have evolved into.  Long past are the days of real copper Cents and true doubled dies which is what got me into collecting in the first place.   Sad......very sad!  But.... our great guberment (what's left of it, if anything at all) I believe is trying to eliminate coinage all together, I'm pretty convinced. If I am breaking a "political rule" here on the forum then SO BE IT!  If God loving Americans can't stand behind what is right and correct then to heck with all else!!!  Just my 2 cents here!!!!

Well....I'm certain that I'm not what would be considered a "God loving American" as I am not a Christian nor a follower of any Abrahamic religion and I have no desire to be. But, I do agree that Zincolns are pretty awful.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, Mohawk said:

But, I do agree that Zincolns are pretty awful.

I'm glad we agree on one thing at least, albeit I wish it was the other way around my friend :).  By no means would I ever attempt to push my religious beliefs on anyone or 'shove it down their throat' as so many people do at times of which I am not a fan.  I'm definitely not a politically correct person, never have been, never will be, but that is just me. I respect all walks of life, thoughts and positions.  All we can try to do is the old proverbial saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...". Not trying to do that here but it's just a saying and a thought I try to implement in my daily life.  I will no doubt keep you in my thoughts and prayers Mohawk. (thumbsu 

On 9/19/2021 at 2:12 PM, GBrad said:

I'm glad we agree on one thing at least, albeit I wish it was the other way around my friend :).  By no means would I ever attempt to push my religious beliefs on anyone or 'shove it down their throat' as so many people do at times of which I am not a fan.  I'm definitely not a politically correct person, never have been, never will be, but that is just me. I respect all walks of life, thoughts and positions.  All we can try to do is the old proverbial saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...". Not trying to do that here but it's just a saying and a thought I try to implement in my daily life.  I will no doubt keep you in my thoughts and prayers Mohawk. (thumbsu 

We definitely agree on the Zincolns, GBrad.  I have my own beliefs and you have yours and I respect that.  I'm not an atheist or anything like that, actually.  But I won't get too deep into where I actually fall on here.  But since you wished me well in your faith's way, I'll wish you well in mine......Blessed Be, GBrad :) 

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/19/2021 at 2:12 PM, GBrad said:

Thoughts and Prayers for All Brother...