• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900-P Morgan Dollar Grading Opinions??

23 posts in this topic

Well.....the environmental damage makes it really hard to see the details of the coin in the photos but based on Photograde and accounting for the environmental damage that makes see the details difficult, I'm going to say XF Details-Environmental Damage.

Welcome  Stvnnvts .The 1924 and the 1890 from what I can see without a close up look like light scratches all over. They may have been cleaned and the 1900 looks like it was in a house fire. I cant see past the smoke, Sorry

On 9/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, JKK said:

was not aware that the 1890-? Morgan dollar was smaller than either the 1900 Morgan or the 1924-? Peace.

Nice catch.  (thumbsu

Those fingers look awfully familiar.   :gossip:

Edited by Alex in PA.

That's interesting. I was not aware that the 1890-? Morgan dollar was smaller than either the 1900 Morgan or the 1924-? Peace.

We all shrink a little the older we get.;)

On 9/17/2021 at 10:41 AM, GBrad said:

Does his give a new meaning to "burnt-ished" coins?:bigsmile:

I had a grungy Morgan given to me by someone a while back. They had gotten it when cleaning out their parents house and they knew I liked coins. The coin was almost this bad, and it was because people had smoked in the house for as long as anyone could remember. Makes me glad I quit smoking long ago. 

I've seen several similarly stained Morgans, and not one of them looked much better when dipped - the tarnish is too extensive - all that was left were silver chloride coated coins.

That's interesting. I was not aware that the 1890-? Morgan dollar was smaller than either the 1900 Morgan or the 1924-? Peace.

And combined with Alex's observation.....once again, uh oh....

On 9/17/2021 at 5:09 PM, RWB said:

I've seen several similarly stained Morgans, and not one of them looked much better when dipped - the tarnish is too extensive - all that was left were silver chloride coated coins.

I can't say I'm surprised this one is basically doomed, Roger.  Whatever is going on with it is nasty!! I don't think anything could really save it.  I wonder if NCS would even be able to....but even if they were, a 1900-P Morgan isn't valuable enough to justify the expense.

The key point is that any surface discoloration that involves a chemical bond with either silver or copper, can only be changed but not reversed. Many gold coins from the Saddle Ridge Hoard were stained with iron oxide - rust. But that was not a chemical bond and easily removed.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:11 PM, stvnnvts said:

If l managed to get this coin graded, do you think it would come back with a Details grade with environmental damage?

Definitely.  No question about it.  It'd be a Details coin.  To be perfectly candid, that coin isn't worth grading.  I don't think anyone would pay more than silver melt value for it, honestly.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:17 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Nice catch.  (thumbsu

Those fingers look awfully familiar.   :gossip:

Dang it!!! If I was still employed in L.E., I would have access to an A.F.I.S., or better yet just known as an AFIS analyzer (analyzer is an add on, and optional). You’ll have to look it up if you’re not familiar with what I’m talking. We could FOR SURE tell who owns these prints (albeit illegally though….. dang 😔).  I would explain but I’m about to jump on a boat and do some crappie night fishing!!!! I’m back in @VKurtB’s home of Abalama at good ok’ Lake Martin where rednecks freely roam GALORE!!! I love this place! I wonder how a born and raised northerner (no disrespect at all) pronounces “crappie”. The fish I am talking about……🤔 Hmmmm….. I believe I already know the answer…:)

On 9/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, JKK said:

I'm glad someone else saw that. I thought it was my eyes.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:47 PM, GBrad said:

“crappie”. The fish I am talking about…

Up here we call a Crappie a Crappie but most the time they are called Sunfish and no one local eats them.  They are to small and boney.  

On 9/18/2021 at 7:24 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Up here we call a Crappie a Crappie but most the time they are called Sunfish and no one local eats them.  They are to small and boney.  

Yup, there's some different names for them for sure.  We have sunfish, bream, bluegill, etc.....  I was alluding to the pronunciation of Crappie.  Southerners call it a "C.r.a.p.-E" (or at least I do).  Our northern counterparts tend to call it a "Crop-E".  They get pretty big down here and are oh, oh, oh, soooo good to eat!

Edited by GBrad