• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pennies ? Weird coated

20 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 10:35 PM, Thomas Beers said:

There is hardly any wear on them the edges are sharp dates an words 

The copper layer is blistering. They did that a lot in the 1980’s. 

All I see are some perfectly normal copper-plated zinc Lincoln Cents with plating blisters.  As Kurt said, plating blisters are very common on 1980's cents.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:04 AM, Thomas Beers said:

So the lines going through them are from the press?

No sir.  The lines you see are basically the 8 micron copper plating "bubbling" on the Cent that is showing the debris, or zinc dust particles, underneath the 8 micron thick plating.  It is called blistered plating, or plate blistering...... either way.  The lines going through your 1986 Zinc cored Lincoln were not formed, made or produced by the minting process.  These little (or a lot of...) bumps and lines happen after it the coin was struck and the pitifully thin copper plating was exposed to the environment.  Nothing special here, sorry.  Hope this helps......

Edited by GBrad

I will go a step further here and say that a lot of folks call these feeder finger lines.  I tend to disagree (for a zinc Lincoln in this case).  I am in the camp of belief that this is a result of an overly abraided and/or polished die, that left incuse striated lines on the die surface itself (in this case the obverse, or, hammer die), which caused the VERY thin copper plating on these cents produced after 1982 (some zinc Lincs. were introduced in 1982 as this was a transitional year for the Linc. Cent metal composition) to be impregnated into the incuse polished die lines during the strike, on the die face itself, thus creating more stress on the extremely thin copper plating which further enhanced, and caused, the lines and in-turn the plating issues we see on some Lincoln Cents post 1982...... Phew..... That was a run on sentence if I've ever typed one... Sorry to those that don't like these long sentences..... I haven't had my meds yet.:bigsmile:

Edited by GBrad

Ya the zinc pennies are all different looking some are bumpy, wavy or grainy like wood. There are some that are key dates to look for but that is another subject for you to check out.  

Hi Thomas,

Yes, they are.  They are V.D.B. the initials of Victor D. Brenner, the designer of the Lincoln Wheat Cent.  On the first 1909 issues, the initials were prominently placed on the reverse and then removed later in 1909.  In 1918, the V.D.B reappeared where you see them on your 2020 cent and have been there ever since then.  Your cent is completely normal.

I hope that this helps!

Edited by Mohawk

Yea that helps I’m I.D.I.OT and just asked instead of research VDB on the bottom reverse in 1909 then moved to be less noticeable which worked because I’ve never really noticed before 😂 thanks Mohawk 

Edited by Thomas Beers

On 9/17/2021 at 12:23 AM, Thomas Beers said:

Yea that helps I’m I.D.I.OT and just asked instead of research VDB on the bottom reverse in 1909 then moved to be less noticeable which worked because I’ve never really noticed before 😂 thanks Mohawk 

No problem....and you're fine.  Those letters are inconspicuous, which is exactly what they wanted back in 1918......it's easy to miss them.  :)