• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991 penny ?

8 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, Lisae228 said:

I have a 1991 penny looks like steel weighs 2.8.   but didn't stick to a magnet can any one tell me about it please nb thank you

20210914_081838.jpg

Hello and Welcome Lisae!!

I think I can help you here.  What you have is a Lincoln Cent which has been plated in a white metal, probably zinc.  High school and undergraduate college chemistry classes often plate Lincoln Cents as part of their lessons.  I partook in this particular activity in my chemistry class in my junior year of high school and we plated A LOT of cents, as did all of the other sections of that class.  Many of these plated cents end up back in circulation once the novelty of a weird colored cent wears off.  I hope that this is of some help to you!

I agree with @Greenstang and @Mohawk as stated above. On a side note, I'm loving the other 1943 Steel Cents you have pictured (I'm a diehard Lincoln fan).  Just wondering where these steelies may have come from, or if you have examined them closely, as a tremendous amount of steel Cents have been reprocessed (not saying yours are, can't tell from your pics).  Reprocessed means re-plated or over-plated with a new shiny zinc coating to make them look new again.  

Edited by GBrad

On 9/16/2021 at 12:54 AM, GBrad said:

I agree with @Greenstang and @Mohawk as stated above. On a side note, I'm loving the other 1943 Steel Cents you have pictured (I'm a diehard Lincoln fan).  Just wondering where these steelies may have come from, or if you have examined them closely, as a tremendous amount of steel Cents have been reprocessed (not saying yours are, can't tell from your pics).  Reprocessed means re-plated or over-plated with a new shiny zinc coating to make them look new again.  

they are mine. I have had them for a long time. they never really been out of the case... I'm about to start getting rid of my coins so if your interested let me know I'll put a better picture up

@Lisae228 I can't tell from your pics but at least one of the steel Cents pictured, best I can tell, looked like it may have been re-plated.  I do collect steel Linc's that are in good original condition (not re-plated or re-precessed).  If you have time and can take some very good, clear and close-up pictures of any steel cents you may like to sell, please feel free to PM me with the pics.  I may or may not be interested depending on the quality.  Thanks!

Edited by GBrad

I'm not really sure what it means but I sent them 4 appraisal .. n heritage auction wants to discuss more about the 1991.. so fingers crossed.  The other three they gave me the true value . I accidently erased their email. So patiently waiting

Edited by Lisae228