• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 D dime is this a doubling die issue on the date and liberty close to edge or just a worn coin?

10 posts in this topic

Newby Raegan with another question about dimes.  I have several 60's - 80's dimes with dates that look like this.  The letters and numbers are "thick" and not crisp. Is this just post mint damage or is this one considered a die errors?  The Liberty seems closer to the edge and the date and D are thicker, is this due to wear and smashing or a die error?  

WIN_20210915_13_17_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210915_13_17_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210915_13_18_42_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210915_13_17_59_Pro.jpg

Welcome. More pictures.  I see some doubling other places. There multiple kinds of doubling and working with circulated can be more different. The whole coin both sides. 
I am not one of the authorities here. Just learning and good clear pictures will be something “those who know more “ will appreciate. 
Remember wait for others I just like these kind of coins. Valuable or not. Educational absolutely 🤓🙀

Raegan you really finding some neat stuff. It is a VLDS (very late die state) coin. The devices show the outside edge of the devices the heavy die flow. The die wear makes the devices look larger because they are taller. Note how the devices are toward the rim. Just the die showing its age and nearness to retirement.

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Bad typing

Hi again Raegan!!

Well, I took a look at your dime and I came up with the same diagnosis as everyone else.  What you have is die deterioration doubling, which as Powermad said is quite common on U.S. coins from the late 1970's to the early to mid 1980's.  But I have to say your photos are getting quite good!  The second set of photos of your 1980-D dime are of very nice quality.  Keep it up, you're doing great!!

On 9/15/2021 at 12:03 PM, Raegan said:

Hi James and others, How is the quality of these pictures? 

WIN_20210915_14_12_38_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210915_14_12_51_Pro.jpg

your pictures are pretty dang good. Keep practicing. I use an old iPhone 7 and have learned to take ok pictures.  I, like you am learning about doubling there is several types but one thing that has me throw a coin like yours into a 2 x 2 and save it    I can see the doubling with my eye 👁  no jewelers loop    I also like AT coins  artificially toned  They are a form of art to me    The facts remain that this one is not valuable   It’s good as an inhand example  🙏

On 9/15/2021 at 1:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

True doubling is a crisp doubling image which can be seen in devices because the planchet has slightly shifted in the collar between the multiple strikes. When lettering or numbers are "thick and mushy" and you see doubling, it is die erosion doubling.

This is untrue. 

By true doubling I assume you mean Doubled Die. That happens during the hubbing process of making the dies themselves. What you are describing is the cause of mechanical/machine/strike doubling. 

Also some true Doubled Dies present as thickness in letters. Not to say thickness means DD, but you can’t say it universally prevents it either.