• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Peace Dollar cleaned?

40 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, mini-Melanie said:

Wow! That confirms it! It is counterfeit :( Very disappointed but I knew you all could help me! Contacting seller. 

Sorry for the bad news, Melanie.  Roger is literally the man when it comes to Peace Dollars.....if anyone can recognize a fake one, it's him.  I hope you can get your money back.  But don't let this sour you on the hobby completely.  We've all had experiences like this.  I know I have....I bought a fake key date Ottoman Empire gold 100 Kurush once.  That one hurt!! But I learned from it.  I'd chalk this one up to a learning experience, then pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and start all over again!

Edited by Mohawk

Yes definitely a learning experience. I am still excited about collecting. I am enjoying learning about it all, the history, stories, and all the stuff that goes with numismatics.  I have been collecting eagles as well! I will be sure to check in here. I do appreciate all the help. Thank you RWB. 

On 9/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, mini-Melanie said:

Yes definitely a learning experience. I am still excited about collecting. I am enjoying learning about it all, the history, stories, and all the stuff that goes with numismatics.  I have been collecting eagles as well! I will be sure to check in here. I do appreciate all the help. Thank you RWB. 

Melanie,

Where did you purchase this coin? There are some lists that are kept around the forum of bad actors to avoid. This may be a good one to add if it isn’t already on the list. 

I was pulling for you. I had suspicions but am always hopeful until we know for sure. Pay close attention when you see “key dates” (the most valuable) in any set, which this coin is. Counterfeiters love to target those so be extra cautious. 

I purchased this coin from Mercari. It is a site similar to eBay. The seller’s name was Thomas. He looks to have sold many other coins so I thought he might be trustworthy. He also stated he “inherited” all these coins. But I guess I was fooled. I wonder if he even knew it was fake. 

3D0A762C-3C2B-4F32-82FC-DFC890BC0B7E.jpeg

D34B540E-3621-4D9C-AC40-EF7583CA7E1D.jpeg

On 9/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, mini-Melanie said:

Wow! That confirms it! It is counterfeit :( Very disappointed but I knew you all could help me! Contacting seller. 

I am sorry you got a bad coin. I had a feeling it was and I knew if Roger got to look at it he would put the hammer down. It was way to nice to be real. I hope the dealer will fix it for you. You did the right thing by checking with the people here (thumbsu 

There an old saying I often say “never trust anyone” that includes coin buying and collecting never ever trust a dealer judgement they are human can and do make mistake just as anyone else it’s up to you to educate yourself and familiarize yourself with coins . If price is cheap and too good to be true? it’s probably a fake but that doesn’t always apply . If your unsure what coins to buy, then buy graded coins that been authenticated by NGC/PCGS (not saying there isn’t fake slabs floating around) but double check the certification numbers you’ll know your getting the “real deal” 

As JustBob said avoid Mercari. If you are going to buy coins I would avoid ungraded coins from internet sites for now. It’s always a risk but until you get a little more adept at evaluating them avoid it for now unless it’s a reputable dealer. Mercari and Etsy are places to avoid completely. eBay is risky. There are some reputable sellers and good coins, but there is atleast as many con men and bad coins. I hate to see anyone get taken when they are first starting, and there is someone around every corner in this hobby ready to scam you. If you have coins you are interested in and want a second opinion before you buy I’m sure several members here would be glad to help you. 

Edited by Woods020

On 9/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, Just Bob said:

Mercari - home of many sellers of counterfeit coins, and many extremely overpriced genuine coins. Almost as bad as Etsy.

Yep.....Mercari is very bad, as is Etsy.  eBay is a mixed bag.....there are good sellers and bad sellers.  I actually sell coins on eBay myself.  But there are some bad guys there, too.  If you have any particular place you're looking at buying coins from in the future, let us know what it is and who the seller is before you make a purchase so we can give you some input and try to help you avoid a repeat of this experience.