• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 D Nickle possible DDO..

17 posts in this topic

It’s a “TRIPLE NOPE”.

Not anything but strike doubling.

Not on the obverse, so not a DDO if it were hub doubling. 
Annnd not a “nickle”. Check the spelling.

Three strikes. Guess what that means.

Meaningful doubling almost NEVER is seen on both sides. Since it shows on both sides, it is strike doubling. Not important.

Note to OP: this stuff you’re looking for is really really hard stuff to find, pretty close to impossible. Why would you think you’re finding it?

Edited by VKurtB

Here's a good article explaining the different types of doubling, both worthless and true hub doubling, if I haven't already sent it to you.  This informational tidbit should have its own home, as its own topic, here on the forum for people to reference..... just a thought.....

Copy and paste into your browser:

file:///Users/ga/Downloads/Other%20Forms%20Of%20Doubling.pdf

On 9/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, Woods020 said:

With the new process it is first unlikely you will find any, and if you do it is unlikely that the doubling will be on the exterior designs. The primary area for doubling now would be near the center of the coin.

I'm sure it is a much faster and economical way and a 'good process' the way a die is created now.... but DAWM...... I am sure going to miss those class 1 DD's...... very sad to me.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:36 AM, GBrad said:

I'm sure it is a much faster and economical way and a 'good process' the way a die is created now.... but DAWM...... I am sure going to miss those class 1 DD's...... very sad to me.

You’ll have to embrace the doubles ears that will pop up in the future. If you need a DD fix let me know and I’ll send you a picture of my 55 Lincoln DD. Those will literally make you dizzy if you stare at it. I look at it and think “now that’s a doubled die” 😂

On 9/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, Woods020 said:

You’ll have to embrace the doubles ears that will pop up in the future. If you need a DD fix let me know and I’ll send you a picture of my 55 Lincoln DD. Those will literally make you dizzy if you stare at it. I look at it and think “now that’s a doubled die” 😂

that would be awesome!

On 9/14/2021 at 1:43 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s a “TRIPLE NOPE”.

Not anything but strike doubling.

Not on the obverse, so not a DDO if it were hub doubling. 
Annnd not a “nickle”. Check the spelling.

Three strikes. Guess what that means.

Meaningful doubling almost NEVER is seen on both sides. Since it shows on both sides, it is strike doubling. Not important.

Note to OP: this stuff you’re looking for is really really hard stuff to find, pretty close to impossible. Why would you think you’re finding it?

well wishful thinking I suppose! Too many youtube videos telling me to look in my pocket change for rare coins! Do you think all the rare valuable coins are already found? What are the chances of actually finding a super rare coin these days? Thanks for the spelling help too! :) 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, Lacywebb said:

well wishful thinking I suppose! Too many youtube videos telling me to look in my pocket change for rare coins! Do you think all the rare valuable coins are already found? What are the chances of actually finding a super rare coin these days? Thanks for the spelling help too! :) 

All? Absolutely not. ALMOST all? Yes, certainly. Remember, rare coins set aside for decades can REAPPEAR in circulation by someone who knows nothing about them when a family member dies. That is probably the circumstance that could still yield an amazing find. Ironically, modern coin slabbing makes this far less likely. But the routine slabbing of ordinary mundane coins threatens to undo that distinction. Choose your poison. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, Lacywebb said:

Regarding coins, there's only two things to do regarding YouTube......STAY OFF OF IT AND IF YOU'RE ALREADY ON IT, DON'T LISTEN TO IT!!!!!!

YouTube coin videos are the numismatic equivalent of raw sewage.....they are putrid, disgusting and worthless.  They over sensationalize everything and they spout a bunch of lies.  YouTube is the worst place to go for coin information.  Don't watch anymore coin vids on YouTube.  You'll be much better off.