• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do collectors enjoy Burnished coins?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

These are a unique finish. Very low mintage collector coin with a mint mark. 138,000 2018. These are misunderstood. When people get tired of paying over $100 plus,for proofs with much larger mintages   These will have their day. People confused these with  roll edition ( regular, emergency SF or Philly or WP). 
    I hear you about some issues just are not for me. 
These will have their day, just not for you and that’s fine. Sooo many other things 😉

Edited by James Zyskowski

ASE's aren't for me in general, whether they are burnished, proof, bullion or reverse proof.  It's another case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder....some people like burnished ASEs in MS 70, others like coins that have been in the ground for a thousand years minimum ;)

From my standpoint I view all ASE's as bullion regardless of the finish.   They are a beautiful coin and I have some but I have zero interest in collecting these as a series/set.   I hear a lot of people that don't like series collecting because of the sameness of the coins, I usually think that is a rather limited view.   However when it comes to ASE's I can somewhat relate to this concept.

But to your question in the op, I am sure that some collectors do indeed like the burnished look.

Edited by Coinbuf

I see your point it it walks like a duck..

I would agree on the design. Just reminds of some of those old silver coins with the dull patina. But alas, if I saw a good deal on one I would most likely buy it for the design and collectibility.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:02 PM, Coinbuf said:

From my standpoint I view all ASE's as bullion regardless of the finish. 

I also consider ASEs, Maple Leafs, etc as bullion.  I only have 1 roll of 20 ASE's I bought many years ago.  There is however, a growing community of ASE collectors.  Good hunting to all of them.   :banana:

I’m not into the ASE , but over the years I’ve had a few that I took in on a trade quickly sold them. Only ASE that I really like looking at were the reverse proofs they were unique to me …the only bullion that a collect are bullion coins series that change on year basic the design changes each year I’ll buy a example . Like the Germania mint allegories and Germania series each year they make a different design I’ll collect those but have no intentions on sending them in for grading just for my personal collection … ASE are overrated after awhile they get boring collecting them 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:43 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I’m not into the ASE , but over the years I’ve had a few that I took in on a trade quickly sold them. Only ASE that I really like looking at were the reverse proofs they were unique to me …the only bullion that a collect are bullion coins series that change on year basic the design changes each year I’ll buy a example . Like the Germania mint allegories and Germania series each year they make a different design I’ll collect those but have no intentions on sending them in for grading just for my personal collection … ASE are overrated after awhile they get boring collecting them 

Except that now that the Type 2 is out the old style will go up in price. Especially those last few. I have , at least bought the entire 2021 collection, The 2021 ty 1 W, the 2021 Type 2 W, the 2021 Morgan CC, the 2021 Peace Dollar, and I already had the 1921 Morgan and a 1922 Peace Dollar. My plan is to have the new ones graded and slabbed, and try to figure our someway to frame the entire set for the 100 years collection. Not sure how I’m going to do that yet.🤨

@Mr.Bill347they may go slightly on price for a short while , I wouldn’t bet my entire paycheck they will keep going up in price . We have remember the market is based on supply and demand is which drives the market higher … ASE were mass produced plenty of fish to choose from out in seas of coin collecting they are everywhere just about every dealer has a pile full of ASE they are so common I don’t even know why prices are so high for them . Not talking about burnish , reverse proof , other odd low year “key dates” I’m talking about the typical years very easy to find anywhere for life me I never understood why high marked prices for ASE ? The market will always be flooded with ASE they will never ever see circulation at all 

Edited by Jason Abshier

That’s the truth! Years ago, I started collecting ASEs with 1986-2001 for about ten years. I ended up selling the majority of my collection of ASEs and Proof sets, even all of the presidential dollars in 2015. Now I find myself in the repeat dilemma of having a bunch of ASEs, Morgan’s and many more types. I regret not keeping them, but I think most collectors ebb and flow. Or maybe I’m just a nut 🥜!

I personally Like collecting ASE, Have all but two of them as of right now. The Burnished set is the smallest of the group, both in mintage and years made. The only coin in that set that really went up is the 2008 with the reverse 07. I think ASE is a nice way for new collectors to get and keep up with a complete set. Some day a family member will get them and say wow that's a lot of silver. LOL I got most of mine when silver was below $15 not it is about $23 so the have went up because of thst more than because of the collecting value. Hope to get the 2021 2 coin set today too.

I’m passing up the two coin set, since I already have both. The reverse proof is very nice though, but unless you plan on keeping in the OGP, you could get them graded as a two coin set then, what are going to put them in?

The 2- coin reverse proof set is available right now. 2:31 est. they will sellout low mintage oneof a kind for 2021ase. Bill this is supposed to be the one. I don’t like the price 

ahhhhh just went unavailable sorry. It destroyed the website and displayed behavior crazy behavior from the moment at noon est. I refreshed for 1:14 minutes then got one. 

they are pricey on ebay

3C3F58AA-0A9C-416C-9242-834C0A03898A.png

57E4A3D2-E0E7-4B31-A151-8BB5399BDB68.png

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 9/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I’m passing up the two coin set, since I already have both. The reverse proof is very nice though, but unless you plan on keeping in the OGP, you could get them graded as a two coin set then, what are going to put them in?

In my collection 😉

On 9/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, Rummy13 said:

It took me 59 mins to place my order. The mint has to do a better job. It says my order was placed but I have not got confirmation other than an e-mail saying it was placed.

Took me 1 hour 14 minutes. Confirmation emails will come maybe tomorrow. 

726F8D1B-F744-4DCA-8066-6C351785AFD0.jpeg

551074B5-115C-4CC3-99F3-5C5BD0E52B57.jpeg

B508EE44-E1CC-429D-A1EB-FC41549AE11B.png

That was the one thing I didn’t want to do. Scramble to spend $175

i cannot believe what they are already selling for this is insane!

Rummy you are absolutely correct in that if the mint keeps doing these limited edition things, only the Coin guy and the big dealers will get them all with their bulk pre orders

dont get me started!

On 9/12/2021 at 7:13 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I think they are a bit dry

Ahhhh...so they taste like chicken -- same as alligators.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:47 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Really nice Britannia. I won a tube of tenth ounzers 16 and they have that proper look to them.   

Thank you James! I also bought the Queens 95th birthday coin. So what do you think of my idea to frame all the 2021 coins with the 1921 coins ?

I buy at least one bullion strike ASE per year for placement in a Dansco album, but both types in 2021. I now buy from the Mint ONLY the burnished one. I stopped buying ASE proofs entirely after the 2009 hiatus. I have decided I think brilliant proof ASE’s look dumb, so I stopped. I REALLY REALLY think reverse proofs and enhanced finishes look dumb, and they are gimmicks. I won’t buy them. They are insignificant in any way, IMO.

By the way, I have never bought ANY slabbed ASE, proof, bullion, or burnished, nor have I submitted one, nor would I ever. Pointless. All my proofs and burnished are in original packaging. I do own three. One was an ANA premium, and the other two were gifts from family. 

Edited by VKurtB