• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Relief 1922 peace dollar? How you think? Lane crossing N - is it what we looking for?

32 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 12:51 AM, GBrad said:

@James Zyskowski, I am by no means a Peace Dollar person by any stretch of the imagination. Your pics, reference and post shows a 1925 Peace but the OP's coin is a 1922... Just wondering.....

Sorry about the pictures. I was trying to post the little printed part with the mintage. It’s there at the bottom 

On 9/12/2021 at 11:12 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Sorry about the pictures. I was trying to post the little printed part with the mintage. It’s there at the bottom 

I'm totally clear now, sorry.  It was pretty late when I was looking at your post, I should have been asleep...., but now I see that. (thumbsu

Thanks everyone. Am just starting to know all this date's, print's and Double DIYs. And right now all this stuff are very interesting for me. Like a book.) . Also sorry for my English. 

Any way, Monday,09.13.21 My package with this coin will arrive to NGC PO Box for grade. 

Thanks again.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Vasek said:

Thanks everyone. Am just starting to know all this date's, print's and Double DIYs. And right now all this stuff are very interesting for me. Like a book.) . Also sorry for my English. 

Any way, Monday,09.13.21 My package with this coin will arrive to NGC PO Box for grade. 

Thanks again.

Your English is fine!

PS: It's "doubled die" not "Double DIY." - Pronounced the same, though.

Try the book A Guide Book for Peace Dollars, Whitman Publishing LLC, (by me).

Edited by RWB

On 9/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, RWB said:

The OP's coin is a normal, worn 1922 dollar.

The Guide Book list is wrong. This is the quantity of 1922 HR/Reverse of '21 trial pieces made. All were routinely melted, with exception of a few that had been used for internal examination. All known 1922 HR/Reverse of 1922 coins are medal press proofs, either sandblast or satin. (There is no such thing a s "matte" Peace dollar.)

My trusty redbook wrong again. This makes several times they have let me down. Thanks 

On 9/12/2021 at 12:17 PM, James Zyskowski said:

My trusty redbook wrong again. This makes several times they have let me down. Thanks 

They left out too much information, resulting in a false and misleading listing. R.W.Julian discovered and published the information 50 years ago.

If that's an older edition, it might have been corrected.

Edited by RWB

On 9/12/2021 at 12:13 PM, RWB said:

Your English is fine!

PS: It's "doubled die" not "Double DIY." - Pronounced the same, though.

Try the book A Guide Book for Peace Dollars, Whitman Publishing LLC, (by me).

Wow) Sir, please tell me if there is even the slightest chance of finding such a coin? For example, if a coin was minted, but defective and somehow mixed with other poorly minted coins, but from the correct batch?

Most likely I am mistaken and in no way am I trying to argue with you ... But here I am comparing the photo to this
  coins of 1922 with a coin of 1925, and they are different for me, I don’t know how to explain, emotionally or something. Look at these women, on the 1922 coin she looks ahead, and on the 1925 coin she looks down ...
Regards, just share with you

WIN_20210908_10_04_15_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210908_09_52_58_Pro.jpg

On 9/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, Vasek said:

Wow) Sir, please tell me if there is even the slightest chance of finding such a coin? For example, if a coin was minted, but defective and somehow mixed with other poorly minted coins, but from the correct batch?

There are three or four 1922 HR/Reverse of 1921 coin known - survivors of the failed trial press run from early 1922. Also known are sandblast proofs of the 1922 HR/Reverse of 1922, and the 1922 Medium relief/ Reverse of 1922 in both toggle press, and medal press proofs. The Guide Book for Peace dollars has a general description of events. Details can be found in my earlier book Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921.

The Red Book's introduction is a general, superficial section with omits critical details. That is typical for a general purpose reference.

In the past 100 years approximately a dozen 1922 HR (all versions), and 1922 medium relief dollars have surfaced, including some from the heirs of mint director Ray Baker. There is also documentation mentioning some of these pieces. We know why and how they were produced. The chances of finding one are likely very, very small.

Edited by RWB

On 9/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Here’s the 1962

1FE6EDA6-DBDF-4CFC-A193-8AD5C23FF153.thumb.jpeg.6999fda47c993948e15dfede9ad1663c.jpeg

Here’s 1973

0784A772-55C9-4B6E-94F1-9EAE4C2653FA.thumb.jpeg.2ce30cff55e650388d150f12b7de7d2b.jpeg07BDA923-DBFD-4023-AA31-592901EE92DE.thumb.jpeg.7949f8c57aa1c1001a9a3f927108a957.jpeg

2021 for recent inf2D6DB34A-7CB3-4963-91C2-BFF303357D2A.thumb.jpeg.5c649f4630a77e49b95c1085937e5c66.jpeg

Interesting. Thanks 

Then write to Whitman Publishing LLC and let them know abut the error. That is the easiest way to have it corrected.

PS: It was the Commission of Fine Arts that got action on the 1921 Peace dollar - not ANA. The ANA's work died in Congress. Details in RAC 1916-1921.

Edited by RWB

I’m not an editor or writer. I do get plenty of knowledge and enjoyment learning from you and others. I can live with the errors. They mess up the ase listings. It’s ok. There is a lot of general knowledge and you and others have provided us with research articles and books specific as we need them  

Thanks RWB for all you do!  You are very generous with your time 

On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Vasek said:

Thanks again.

Did I read this correctly that you sent out a very worn 1922 to be graded by NGC ? I hope they will be kind

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 9/12/2021 at 4:15 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Did I read this correctly that you sent out very worn 1922 to be graded by NGC ? I hope they will be kind

They likely won't.  They'll be honest.  It's a heavily worn common 1922 Peace Dollar and the grade will reflect that.  

On 9/16/2021 at 3:03 PM, Alex in PA. said:

:popcorn:

Why the popcorn emoji?

The OP who is a non native English speaker, thought he had something.  Roger and others provided excellent info on why he didn't.  The OP already sent the coin in and appears to have acknowledged that it was a mistake in his last post.

IMO, this thread ended in a positive outcome.  Knowledge was shared and nobody is disputing anything

If you're going to try to stir up trouble, at least read the thread.  

On 9/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Why the popcorn emoji?

Since you obviously can't stand not knowing - I thought taking a break from the intense posts was a good idea.  Is that okay with you?