• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal- First Spouse <Julia Grant>
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  I have this token and wondering , was this made during the minting process or could this be plated after it left the mint. I can find this token online, but nothing looking like this one. This came in a plastic 2x2 flip, with a plastic cover for the obverse and reverse of the token. I don't think those did any justice, but cool. Just asking because I see alot of coins out there being plated, and alot of collector's look down on that, especially on coins. Thanks 

20210911_154042.jpg

20210911_153924.jpg

20210911_154214.jpg

Mints will have coins plated or colorized like the 2020 U.S. BHOF coin, in those instances TPG's will grade the coins/medals because they were done or requested by the production mint. Others make small fortunes plating, colorizing and altering mint products, those are not considered original. I'm not sure who produced your token/medal or if it was originally released this way, but it was definitely plated. 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:20 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Mints will have coins plated or colorized like the 2020 U.S. BHOF coin, in those instances TPG's will grade the coins/medals because they were done or requested by the production mint. Others make small fortunes plating, colorizing and altering mint products, those are not considered original. I'm not sure who produced your token/medal or if it was originally released this way, but it was definitely plated. 

Thanks Mike, hmmm. have to look in deeper on this one. I pretty sure it's Philadelphia mint. But I'll keep searching. 

True I consider any coin that was plated or altered… damaged or cover-up while they may look neat and so on a serious collectors won’t pay high prices for them lately a lot of silver bullion been some how altered and colorized or what ever , it’s considered a form of altered damage