• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you do it?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I have accumulated some ‘spare’ coins from building my gold type set. I like them and would be happy to keep them, but the market for CAC gem gold is really on fire lately and it seems like an opportunity.  All three are mid 4 figure coins.  How would you go about selling them?

On 9/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, Challenger said:

I have accumulated some ‘spare’ coins from building my gold type set. I like them and would be happy to keep them, but the market for CAC gem gold is really on fire lately and it seems like an opportunity.  All three are mid 4 figure coins.  How would you go about selling them?

I've consigned to Great Collections a few times, and have been well pleased with their service. The material you describe sounds perfect for them. 

I would agree that GC is a very good option, you can also contact Heritage and Stacks.  It is my impression that both Heritage and Stacks have very high sellers commissions, but I have never sold thru either so that is only what I have read. 

Of course you can try the marketplace forum here too, it is free to sell but the eyeballs are somewhat limited and there can be some concerns when a seller with no reputation or references is selling high value items which might limit the number of buyers.

Edited by Coinbuf

I've sold stuff through Great Collections as well and I've been very pleased with the results.  I think what you have would be perfect for consigning with them.  Ian and his team really do work their butts off for you to get your coins sold.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:00 PM, RWB said:

Depends on whether your coins fit the "CAC gem" [sic] category. Do they all have gold stickers or at least smiley faces from Walmart?

They are 65 to 66 and green CAC.  That fits the definition of GEM unless they have moved the bar again, no?

On 9/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would agree that GC is a very good option, you can also contact Heritage and Stacks.  It is my impression that both Heritage and Stacks have very high sellers commissions, but I have never sold thru either so that is only what I have read. 

Of course you can try the marketplace forum here too, it is free to sell but the eyeballs are somewhat limited and there can be some concerns when a seller with no reputation or references is selling high value items which might limit the number of buyers.

I have bought and sold through Great Collections.  In fact, GC is the only place I have ever sold coins, but only less expensive duplicates. I see some realizations from Heritage that are very strong, but then it seems like fees would consume a good deal.  Based on what has been posted, I think I will go with Great Collections as the best option. Thanks!

On 9/7/2021 at 9:57 PM, VKurtB said:

/snicker.  Well said! Oh wait, that’s just an “opinion”. Ooh ooh, unless Roger said it, then it’s a stone cold fact. /sarcasm

I always think of Rumsfeld and his known and unknown unknowns and knowns when I read about opinions on coins.  I am ok with each collector having a unique take on the spectrum.

“Facts” change over time. They are not fixed. In the year many collectors think the “real coins” ended, there were four baseball players who had hit over 500 home runs. Now there are 28. One example. You have to remain current or you become irrelevant. 

What was Willie Mays’ career OPS? How many Quality Starts did Bob Gibson have? Those measurements didn’t exist then. So even the way we measure things changes over time. Apply that same ethos to coins.  Get it?

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, Challenger said:

.... the market for CAC gem gold is really on fire lately and it seems like an opportunity.  

CAC gem gold, as opposed to what, the spot price of gold which, continues to hiccup at various resistance levels at $1800 and change?  Unless circumstances dictate otherwise, I would wait until it exceeds $2000.  How will you feel if it hits 3, 4 or even $5000?

On 9/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

CAC gem gold, as opposed to what, the spot price of gold which, continues to hiccup at various resistance levels at $1800 and change?  Unless circumstances dictate otherwise, I would wait until it exceeds $2000.  How will you feel if it hits 3, 4 or even $5000?

How would he feel if it $500,4, 3 or even $200

On 9/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

coins in question r not dependent on gold price...US gem gold coins currently selling at very high premiums n with green cac 30-40% above that n with gold cac maybe 50-60% above...recent auction i bid 400% n 500% above price guide on two gold cac coins n struck out...gold melt value wasnt a factor my bids were 20 times melt....

On 9/8/2021 at 7:13 AM, Moxie15 said:

How would he feel if it $500,4, 3 or even $200

not going happen in our life time...n if does be happy, buy, buy, buy n smile the whole time....

On 9/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, Challenger said:

I have bought and sold through Great Collections.  In fact, GC is the only place I have ever sold coins, but only less expensive duplicates. I see some realizations from Heritage that are very strong, but then it seems like fees would consume a good deal.  Based on what has been posted, I think I will go with Great Collections as the best option. Thanks!

heritage n stacks both very reasonable seller percentages depending on dollar value n demand for coins n in some instances there is no seller percentages...i have used both because of their customer bases n results were very satisfactory....

On 9/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, Challenger said:

They are 65 to 66 and green CAC.  That fits the definition of GEM unless they have moved the bar again, no?

Ahhhh...OK. You seemed to be mixing terms as if a "CAC" sticker meant the coin was also a "gem" in the old descriptive sense.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:58 AM, zadok said:

coins in question r not dependent on gold price...US gem gold coins currently selling at very high premiums n with green cac 30-40% above that n with gold cac maybe 50-60% above...recent auction i bid 400% n 500% above price guide on two gold cac coins n struck out...gold melt value wasnt a factor my bids were 20 times melt....

This is why I refer to you as the Great Zadok!  👍 

For a small number of coins like you have, Challenger, it appears that GC is perfect for you. 

HA and the others could probably do a good job but I see lots of traffic for gold coin buying with the Sunday-end GC auctions.  And they have a cheaper commission structure.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I agree that realizations in the GC auctions have been pretty good.  Hadn’t thought of DL.  Last time I tried for some CAC gold on a Sunday the coins closed at 2x CAC price guide so I got trounced.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, MarkFeld said:

The most important consideration, by far, is the net amount (based upon the selling price, less commission) that the consignor actually receives.

[I, too, am filing this away for future reference.]  😉 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:00 AM, zadok said:

not going happen in our life time...n if does be happy, buy, buy, buy n smile the whole time....

Truly?

In June of 2019 no one would have thought that in "our lifetime" that the federal and state governments could or would force shutdowns of entire sections of the economy.

In June of 1932 no one was predicting that the government would or could outlaw gold ownership "in our lifetime"

In June of 1929 how many people were predicting a stock market crash by the end of the year.Just off the top of my head..

So what if a couple of large gold holding countries need cash more than a gold reserve and start dumping huge amounts of gold onto the market?

Do you think it would take more than a year of a market glut for gold to drop to $500 or less?

On 9/9/2021 at 7:01 PM, Moxie15 said:

Truly?

In June of 2019 no one would have thought that in "our lifetime" that the federal and state governments could or would force shutdowns of entire sections of the economy.

In June of 1932 no one was predicting that the government would or could outlaw gold ownership "in our lifetime"

In June of 1929 how many people were predicting a stock market crash by the end of the year.Just off the top of my head..

So what if a couple of large gold holding countries need cash more than a gold reserve and start dumping huge amounts of gold onto the market?

Do you think it would take more than a year of a market glut for gold to drop to $500 or less?

yep, in the history of mankind there has been less than 200K metric tons of gold produced for the entire world n with less than that estimated as being unmined, so the total volume of known gold reserves is a finite amount with more than enuf buyers waiting to buy it all...the actual $ value is basically irrelevant its the relative value of what the gold can buy....but by today's price value it wont drop anywhere near $500 in the next several decades if ever...i personally buy gold at all price levels, its more valuable than the money i buy it with...all the investor experts say its a dead investment because makes no interest, dividends et al ad nauseam, but interest n dividends just generate more money that has no real value n can be printed ad nauseam until its worthless...i still have gold i bought at $35/oz n would continue buying at every level it drops to...$500 would be a cause for great celebration...but it wont happen in either of our life times...