• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1903 barber dime

18 posts in this topic

Just bought this because its different. But now that its in had im not sure if its post mint damage or mint error? Im leaning towards mint error. Strike through maybe? IDK really  or maybe die clash

20210905_155052~2.jpg

20210905_155100~2.jpg

Edited by JAnsley

My question was going to be the same as @Greenstang….What could possibly have happened during the minting process to cause this? That should always be your first question. And if you think strike through what could have been struck through to cause this? 

Just a dime that lived a rough life and has some environmental damage. 

On 9/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm with Hog.....I'd say this is one Barber Dime that's had a rough road.  Definitely PMD.

Well whats the deal with the s on the neck?  Thats what got me to ask if it was mint error of some kind

On 9/5/2021 at 5:59 PM, Woods020 said:

My question was going to be the same as @Greenstang….What could possibly have happened during the minting process to cause this? That should always be your first question. And if you think strike through what could have been struck through to cause this? 

Just a dime that lived a rough life and has some environmental damage. 

@Woods020 so it the s mm noramal for the barber dime to be on obverse in middle of liberty neck? 

On 9/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, JAnsley said:

@Woods020 so it the s mm noramal for the barber dime to be on obverse in middle of liberty neck? 

This is not a mintmark. You are experiencing what is called “pareidolia” which means your brain is turning that cluster of darkened pits into an S. It’s just damage with coin crud in it. This happens a lot with coins. People think they see all kinds of things that are not there. Looks like this is a Philly coin.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, JAnsley said:

Not a mint mark. For several reasons. Have you ever seen a US coin other than Indian gold or the hideous presidential/sac dollars that have an incuse mint mark? How do you propose if it was a mint mark it got placed on the neck? Wouldn’t the much more likely scenarios be that is was a counter stamp or just part of the environmental damage?

Edited by Woods020

On 9/5/2021 at 10:12 PM, JAnsley said:

Well whats the deal with the s on the neck?  Thats what got me to ask if it was mint error of some kind

There is no S on the neck.....there is some damage there, which I suppose could look a bit like an S to someone with a bit of imagination.  This is called pareidolia, which is a human tendency to attach significance to random or vague stimuli.  It's the same thing that makes people see shapes in clouds.  This happens a lot with people who are new to the hobby.  But rest assured, there is no S on the neck of your dime.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, Woods020 said:

Not a mint mark. For several reasons. Have you ever seen a US coin other than Indian gold or the hideous presidential/sac dollars that have an incuse mint mark? How do you propose if it was a mint mark it got placed on the neck? Wouldn’t the much more likely scenarios be that is was a counter stamp or just part of the environmental damage?

I dont know terminology and no I didn't think it was a counterstamp the only thing close enough to know what to call what I'm trying to say other than a strikethrough would be a die Clash but I know that's not it right either that's why it would be inverted but I'm too stupid to figure the s*** out I guess so I'm out thank you guys very much though and I won't bother you with any more s***

On 9/6/2021 at 12:02 AM, JAnsley said:

I dont know terminology and no I didn't think it was a counterstamp the only thing close enough to know what to call what I'm trying to say other than a strikethrough would be a die Clash but I know that's not it right either that's why it would be inverted but I'm too stupid to figure the s*** out I guess so I'm out thank you guys very much though and I won't bother you with any more s***

You're not stupid at all JAnsley, you're just new.  And this is something most of us go through.....we see things on coins and, because we're new, we think they're something special when they're not.  I know I went through it....twice actually.  Once when I first started with coins at 8 and then when I picked them back up at 19.  It happens and it's a normal part of learning this game.  Don't let this discourage you.  If you keep at it, you'll get all of this stuff down.  Just remember....mistakes are a vital part of learning anything :smile:

On 9/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, JAnsley said:

If I came across as belittling I apologize. Not my intent. My goal is to make you spend the time to learn the minting process, in this case how mint marks are applied (hint it has changed over the years) and then logically think about what you think has happened could have possibly happened. Often times we have no idea what has happened to a coin. They get abused beyond belief. They are used as jewelry, spacers, and goodness knows what else. Also people have too much free time and do some crazy things to coins seemingly out of boredom. But what matters is did it happen in the minting process. If not we don’t have to know exactly what it is we know it is damage. 

On 9/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, Woods020 said:

Have you ever seen a US coin other than Indian gold or the hideous presidential/sac dollars that have an incuse mint mark?

Mintmarks on the Pratt Indian gold coins are not incuse, they are raised.  In fact they are the highest point on the coins.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, Conder101 said:

Mintmarks on the Pratt Indian gold coins are not incuse, they are raised.  In fact they are the highest point on the coins.

Agreed. I meant to say incuse design. Realized the mistake after posting but didn’t waste time continuing.