• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are US coins minted in "coin turn"?

6 posts in this topic

This is a question I asked a while back. Eva sidestepped the “why” question. Saying we adopted it is self evident. Why is the question. I believe it was Conder that said it was probably to be distinct from our previous British rulers. That makes as much sense as any I have heard on the “why”. 

On 9/4/2021 at 6:53 PM, Woods020 said:

This is a question I asked a while back. Eva sidestepped the “why” question. Saying we adopted it is self evident. Why is the question. I believe it was Conder that said it was probably to be distinct from our previous British rulers. That makes as much sense as any I have heard on the “why”. 

I go with anything we could do to not be the same as everyone else is why.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Only a small handful of other nations have used this alignment. Several are in Latin America, which at one time mimicked USA coinage with respect to iconography.

The most likely explanation is that Spanish 8 Reales were made in that orientation, and we based our dollar's silver content (incorrectly) on an average of these coins.