• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any advice for becoming a dealer at coin shows?
1 1

100 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, zadok said:

contracting to become a coin "dealer" n to set up at a coin show is just that a contract with both the show promoter n the attending public...the show advertises set hours n the general public makes their plans to attend based on that premise...its not supposed to be "about" the dealer its supposed to be "about" the paying public...the dealer assumes the inconveniences for the conveniences of the attendees...virtually all of the above excuses should be taken into consideration before deciding to be the contracted "dealer" n if he/she cant meet their obligations dont become a "dealer"...in n increasing number today many of the "dealers" only do the shows to be able to buy before the general public enters the show n to make their wholesale transactions with other dealers without any consideration for the paying customers that follow...in other words its all bout the money n the average collector is n after thought...those "dealers" dont deserve the title or any of the respect that goes with being a true conscientious dealer that stays the course n honors his/her commitments n their customers.....

How true. 
The last time I attended the World’s Fair of Money show in Philadelphia a few years back,I arrived on a Sunday around 11am. I couldn’t get there the three previous days. So I walk in …. 1/3 of the tables are vacant. The floor was obviously wall to wall earlier in the week. There was NO ONE manning the NGC table briefly ( which was one reason I went).
There were a few packing up also.  So I started scrambling. 

Simply put,  I was grateful for those remaining and they got my money. 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:10 PM, RWB said:

Cardboard cutouts.

I wonder how much the "big dealers" actually contribute to bourse activity. Again, it comes back to the purpose of the event. Evidently the ANA did not try either enforcing their "policy," or getting the dealers to help devise a solution to the empty table problem.

They certainly didn’t when I attended. 

When a problem involves multiple people or organizations, the best way to begin a solution includes identifying those affected, understand how they are affected, and ask each group how they might propose a solution. It is common for this type of evolutionary problem solving to produce unexpected results, so the organizers have to be open to all suggestions and alternatives. Decisions are built on communication of ideas and negotiation of immediate and long-term solutions.

The worst approach is usually a single-minded dictate. In US and European cultures that creates an immediate negative emotion that hampers finding the best solution.

Consider how this could be applied to grading coins, or other aspects of numismatics.

(1)  Different shows have different purposes.  I've never been to the ANA show, but I am sure that the ANA's main purpose is promoting it's numismatic agenda and dealers and customers concerns are a bit down the list.  For FUN, I would think that the dealers and customers might rank a bit higher since the Florida United people don't really have much of an agenda beyond putting on the annual FUN show.

(2)  It's understandable that dealers would be vacating after 3+ days of attendance.  With my astronomy club, we sell Sunday Only and 2-Day admission tickets so if folks are packing up at 1 PM on Getaway Sunday, it doesn't look good.

Having never been to a coin show in my life and choosing to go the one in New York City in January 2022 which I understand emphasizes world coinage, I will be happy to re-visit your question with my own impressions. 🐓 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Having never been to a coin show in my life and choosing to go the one in New York City in January 2022 which I understand emphasizes world coinage, I will be happy to re-visit your question with my own impressions. 🐓 

You will see less of such conduct at the NYINC. Most dealers are there for the duration. However, ALL ANA show major bigtime dealers and auction houses make like a shepherd and get the flock out of there early. It’s because they are there to be with and do business with one another, not the collecting public.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/24/2021 at 10:49 PM, VKurtB said:

You will see less of such conduct at the NYINC. Most dealers are there for the duration.

Looks like my wife and I will be in it for the long haul.  I am ashamed to say that though I will be there to view the site in its totality, my driving ambition is totally selfish. 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Looks like my wife and I will be in it for the long haul.  I am ashamed to say that though I will be there to view the site in its totality, my driving ambition is totally selfish. 

You will see the best selection of high end French coins to be seen in this country, Roosters and otherwise. And make room in your schedule for the talks and presentations. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I may go to that, maybe a bunch of us should do lunch or dinner.  

To be continued.........(thumbsu