• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Saint-Gaudens/Gold Coin Price Thread
2 2

445 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, Mohawk said:

I can tell you the only thing that matters about the coins that you posted.....that they are both fake.

In addition to that, while I see that you signed up very recently, - so welcome -  this thread, titled "Official Saint-Gaudens/Gold Coin Price Thread" wasn't/isn't the place to ask about them.

Curses!  Just when this thread got really interesting, the contributor faced a Gatling gun. Now I'll never know. (Maybe his hairdresser knows for sure.)  And where's @Alex in PA.?  He loves rebel gold.

To the OP:  At the risk of incurring the wrath of the entire membership -- usually when one heavy-weight speaks, every one of the thousands of members in good standing fall in line -- would you be so kind as to divulge the extent of the "research" you've done, cite an authoritative source or reference book or two featuring this coin, and elaborate further on the "few simple gold tests you've performed."

On 9/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Wow.....one of the 10 MS-69 1908 NM Saints sold for $171,000 ($192K with bp), which is double the prices I see on HA going from 2005-2020. 

Someone really wanted an MS-69. xD

DANG!!!! Someone must have.......

On 9/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Someone really wanted an MS-69. xD

Actually, every one of the other coins in the Monster Box graded MS-70 and were snatched up years ago. If the 70's are unavailable, you settle for the next best thing, an MS-69.  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:  🐓 

On 9/12/2021 at 11:17 PM, Mohawk said:

DANG!!!! Someone must have.......

At least TWO someone’s.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, Cat Bath said:

While I'm not against spending that kind of cash on a coin, the 08-NM (short ray) is the last one I'd ever want to do it on. 

They are the ONLY MS-69 Saints out there.  At least that we know of.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, Cat Bath said:

There are a couple of new folks on the saint registry ATS that are throwing down massive amounts of cash. (HALFDOME & Elite Collection)  Both are private so we may never know what is in their sets. They both recently passed Hansen.  https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/102

I understand their desire for privacy but if they are brand-new to collecting it would go along way to generating interest and buzz for the hobby if we knew who they were.  As it is now, we don't know if it's some 70-year old who finally sold their business after decades and are now pursuing their long-delayed hobby.....or if it's some 30-something Silicon Valley kid with too much $$$ on his hands. xD

On 8/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, MarkFeld said:

22% and 27% premiums relative to what? And speaking of “what”, what makes this thread “official”.

Exhibiting the passion the OP has for S-G DE's, I believe he simply meant a "dedicated" thread, lightly moderated, devoted to just these coins. (Typed out, but never sent.)

On 9/14/2021 at 1:59 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I understand their desire for privacy but if they are brand-new to collecting it would go along way to generating interest and buzz for the hobby if we knew who they were. 

I took your comment for a test-drive, and did the unthinkable: tapping on the name chosen for the top compilation of Saints which produced a name I have seen before: Legend. May have a connection to a well-known dealer?

First time I have ventured onto the Saints Set Registry site and was astonished 😲 to get a clear perspective on how difficult assembling a collection must be. One of the dates, I believe the 1913 had a top grade of MS-65, pop 17/0 and reminded me of a remark made by a member on the Rooster thread... If that's the highest grade, so be it, or something to that effect. You heavy-hitters make me feel like I am in the Little League!  :)

On 9/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, VKurtB said:

You mean “da Joisey broad”?

I had no idea there were so many S-G's set Registries! Teapot Dome? NGC/PCGS?  Can't recall... unable to respond to your facetious reply. Anyway, Legend Numismatics.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:59 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

They are the ONLY MS-69 Saints out there.  At least that we know of.

I understand their desire for privacy but if they are brand-new to collecting it would go along way to generating interest and buzz for the hobby if we knew who they were.  As it is now, we don't know if it's some 70-year old who finally sold their business after decades and are now pursuing their long-delayed hobby.....or if it's some 30-something Silicon Valley kid with too much $$$ on his hands. xD

irrelevant.....really makes no diff who buys them, those buyers could care less bout generating buzz....

On 9/14/2021 at 10:04 PM, zadok said:

irrelevant.....really makes no diff who buys them, those buyers could care less bout generating buzz....

One would have to conduct a poll as to motives for compiling a Set Registry.  I have no problem disclosing my goals have evolved.  There are shrewd investors who use the Registry as a sort of barometer of leading economic indicators. I believe you have made it clear that you wish to maintain your privacy and low profile cloaked in near-anonymity. I am a collector. I was a collector, unable to add a single coin to my modest compilation in over a year. I guess I am constrained to respect everyone's privacy.  I am okay with that. I don't know that it is necessary for me to know who owns what or why. 🐓 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

One would have to conduct a poll as to motives for compiling a Set Registry.  I have no problem disclosing my goals have evolved.  There are shrewd investors who use the Registry as a sort of barometer of leading economic indicators. I believe you have made it clear that you wish to maintain your privacy and low profile cloaked in near-anonymity. I am a collector. I was a collector, unable to add a single coin to my modest compilation in over a year. I guess I am constrained to respect everyone's privacy.  I am okay with that. I don't know that it is necessary for me to know who owns what or why. 🐓 

concur....n def agree that there r many varied reasons for doing registry sets...i do guard my numismatic privacy very closely, but as mentioned before i also participate in several registry sets which obviously r not private...having said that, i on the other hand own several finest known coins that i will not include in any registry set nor acknowledge that i am the present owner...my only deviation from that was the inclusion of my name on the PEDIGREE of one of the more rarer US coins...but to each his own...

On 9/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, RWB said:

Personally, the coin seems to be an Unc-68 at best. Too many small marks.If "70" is free of marks at 5x, then an Unc-69 should have only 2 or 3.

Which coin ?  The MS-69 19098 NM ?

On 9/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, zadok said:

concur....n def agree that there r many varied reasons for doing registry sets...i do guard my numismatic privacy very closely, but as mentioned before i also participate in several registry sets which obviously r not private...having said that, i on the other hand own several finest known coins that i will not include in any registry set nor acknowledge that i am the present owner...my only deviation from that was the inclusion of my name on the PEDIGREE of one of the more rarer US coins...but to each his own...

Watch out! The “provenance Nazis” will be hunting you down for using “pedigree”!

On 9/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, VKurtB said:

Watch out! The “provenance Nazis” will be hunting you down for using “pedigree”!

hence all caps....come n get me...