• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,192 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2021 at 9:57 PM, VKurtB said:

It's a map to an old silver mine.

What's the approved treatment or cure for this? It's already worn; would a little gentle cut-and-cover or buffing help?

On 8/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Wonder how we can get this thread pinned to the top like the others. Thank you @Mohawk for starting this thread. I love silver coins. Hopfully this thread will stay alive. 

You are so welcome Hog!!! I'm glad you are enjoying it!! And thank you to you and everyone else who has participated, as well! I also love silver coins....no matter how many other coins I own, my favorite remains the silver Roman denarius, even with Quintus being as tickled by orichalcum as he is!!  I'd love to see this thread get pinned....I hope people are sharing their silver treasures here years from now!!

Edited by Mohawk

@rrantique

An incomparable manifestation of a peculiar affliction for which there is no known cure:  "Halfitis Maximus" (I cannot recall the scientific name).  Great collection!

On 8/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Not sure the resolution but its a Samsung Note 10

Great smartphone, make sure your phone resolution is set to maximum or near-maximum.  Very easy setting to change.  Also, Image Stabilization ON (probably already is but make sure).  Do that and it should improve the clarity.

If you are having a reflection issue...do NOT take the pics from directly above, angle the coins against something at likea  30-degree angle and snap the pics from in front of them and not above. (thumbsu

On 9/1/2021 at 12:51 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Great smartphone, make sure your phone resolution is set to maximum or near-maximum.  Very easy setting to change.  Also, Image Stabilization ON (probably already is but make sure).  Do that and it should improve the clarity.

If you are having a reflection issue...do NOT take the pics from directly above, angle the coins against something at likea  30-degree angle and snap the pics from in front of them and not above. (thumbsu

Thanks. Ill try to figure out how to set it. 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:56 PM, zadok said:

coin1842reverse.jpg.42e4bcc0a4b4edea9aa64e463b208351.jpg1842coin1842.jpg.23744524839c051ebcabe631db1cdebe.jpg

Great Zadok, it's too bad I am old.  If I were many years younger I would be prepared to make you a very attractive offer for your most unusual piece with rarely seen violet toning.  And, my, my, my, what lovely denticles!  The sun's not up and you've already brightened up my day. You're a good sport!

On 9/2/2021 at 3:25 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Great Zadok, it's too bad I am old.  If I were many years younger I would be prepared to make you a very attractive offer for your most unusual piece with rarely seen violet toning.  And, my, my, my, what lovely denticles!  The sun's not up and you've already brightened up my day. You're a good sport!

anyone living in nyc needs at least something positive to look forward to considering how the rest of their world is all down hill....none my coins r for sale so u get to save ur money...n i knew that ur cousin vinny would love all the colors....

On 9/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, tigerbait said:

I found this silver Denarius, and had to have it.  The scene on the reverse reminds me of my younger, partying ways.  It's really NOT a stripper club.  LOL.

89BC-Roman Republic Denariusobv.jpg

89BC-Roman Republic Denariusrev.jpg

I love it that there's finally a denarius here that isn't mine!!! It sounds like your younger days were far more eventful than mine were lol  It's a gorgeous piece.....thanks for sharing that Tigerbait!!

On 9/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, zadok said:

anyone living in nyc needs at least something positive to look forward to considering how the rest of their world is all down hill....none my coins r for sale so u get to save ur money...n i knew that ur cousin vinny would love all the colors....

I've always wondered whether anyone would be able to figure that out. I do not even know if he is aware his name and accomplishments have permeated the internet. Officially, I am through buying. Never had relatives, my background is shrouded in an impenetrable historical mist, both my parents are deceased, I had no trouble predicting either sibling would marry.. In short, NGC is my extended family as I do not have heirs. My wife? I asked her what's at the North Pole. She said: I don't know.  I asked her if there was a sign there, reading North Pole. She guessed, yes. I asked her if anyone had had seen it.  She said, yes, but had no idea why such a sign may have put it there, why, or who might see it. She never knew  man had been to the moon years ago. She only had two questions:  "How did they get there?" and "what did they see?" 

Attn: Moderators... forgive me. I love my wife!

On 9/2/2021 at 10:26 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I've always wondered whether anyone would be able to figure that out. I do not even know if he is aware his name and accomplishments have permeated the internet. Officially, I am through buying. Never had relatives, my background is shrouded in an impenetrable historical mist, both my parents are deceased, I had no trouble predicting either sibling would marry.. In short, NGC is my extended family as I do not have heirs. My wife? I asked her what's at the North Pole. She said: I don't know.  I asked her if there was a sign there, reading North Pole. She guessed, yes. I asked her if anyone had had seen it.  She said, yes, but had no idea why such a sign may have put it there, why, or who might see it. She never knew  man had been to the moon years ago. She only had two questions:  "How did they get there?" and "what did they see?" 

Attn: Moderators... forgive me. I love my wife!

no signs there...there is a russian flag on the sea bed 4000+ feet below, n once was a reflective sphere located there but long gone...i do have my bluenose certificate, so u can accept previous statements as credible...cant attest to moon signage didnt get that far....