• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgan

44 posts in this topic

I wasn't going to buy one of the 2021 Morgans for several reasons but today decided to see if I could get an order in.  I was expecting to get shut out immediately or find the website crashed.  I did get a "Bad Gateway" error message but was still able to purchase two of the Morgan (D).  It was something like 12-15 minutes after 12:00 though which surprised to me.  I actually only tried to order 1 so don't know how they processed my order for two but I'll take the 2nd one.  I chose the (D) mint for my 100th Anniversary pick because the 1921 was the only year Morgan that had a (D).  At any rate, an overpriced coin in my opinion and disappointing that it's short of 90% silver. 

Edited by MN1

I decided to just get the cc and a peace dollar 🤞🏽   So far got one cc ordered 

the S proof ase and the dang 2coin reverse proof set just too much for the budget 

got the peace dollar 😁
got the ase pf S mint. Just one left and it’s the 2-coin set. Gunna be a rumble don’t bring a knife to a coin gun fight 😁

Edited by James Zyskowski

Who knows maybe from a year or two from Now the market will be in demand for 2021 Morgans for the collectors who missed out on chance to get one … I can’t say for sure , look at 2016-W gold walking liberty half dollar , standing Liberty quarter and Mercury dime seem like market didn’t take off so well even with the low mintages 

I know there’s a slight difference between .999 (U.S standard silver bullion) and .9999 silver (like we see on world silver bullion .9999 or 99.99%) .999 been ran through refinery one time , as .9999 or 99.99 been through the refinery twice to get more purity. Although it doesn’t matter when it comes time to sell it .9999 is treated the same as .999 melt value 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 8/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@Woods020never mind my old brain  🧠 hit off .900 purity in original Morgan dollars … sorry about that 

I do it a few times a day just to make sure I stay in practice. No worries. Lots of numbers in numismatics. Bound to forget a few from time to time 

On ebay some appeared with ngc ms70 grades for pre-sale, someone is hopeful but they were selling for $600 in ms70...i got 3 D and 3 S and intend on grading all of them but then swapping out for the CC and O to get the full set in ms70 and peace dollar in ms 70 to go wjthmy date set peace dollars in 65.

Edited by Dark Chameleon

Chameleon, nice going. They are special being the 100th. Glad you got one! Or two ;-)  by the time I saw the reminder an hour had past and, thus, my chance to spend money on overpriced coins. Those that buy them and sell them for $200 are the winners in this game. But I wonder how many of these people will not sell them and end up with multiples as the market floods. I must admit, I REALLY wanted a 2021 Morgan but missed out earlier, I did buy one of the guaranteed shipment of the CC privy mark for $200. The seller messaged me and thanked me for trusting him until fall and offered me a chance to withdraw at any time. Those same guaranteed Morgan’s are now going upwards of $350. With the very limited production, I don’t see much of a recline in value for quite some time.

congratulations on having quick fingers!

On 8/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, Dark Chameleon said:

On ebay some appeared with ngc ms70 grades for pre-sale, someone is hopeful but they were selling for $600 in ms70...i got 3 D and 3 S and intend on grading all of them but then swapping out for the CC and O to get the full set in ms70 and peace dollar in ms 70 to go wjthmy date set peace dollars in 65.

I see someone posted while I am busy doing hunt and peck. Did you see the prices for the CC $300+$350 and up 🙀

Those listing 2021 Morgans on Ebay for obscene amounts will need to collect their $ early because once Modern Coin Mart and APMEX start their "Pre-Sale" for MS69 and MS70 the cost will definitely be lower than what I saw last night.   

Since there was a limit of 3 per customer what are the chances of getting an MS 70. Also what happens if the eBay presale for MS70 doesn’t pan out. I think I’d hold the sellers feet to the fire and get one for me. I forgot to add silver content in original Morgan is .7734 Troy ounce, the 2021 silver content is .859. I believe weight for each is similar. 

Edited by Walter Holmes
Addition of text

On 8/4/2021 at 7:19 AM, MN1 said:

Those listing 2021 Morgans on Ebay for obscene amounts will need to collect their $ early because once Modern Coin Mart and APMEX start their "Pre-Sale" for MS69 and MS70 the cost will definitely be lower than what I saw last night.   

If you think those prices are obscene take a look at the asking prices for the 2021 One-tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set, I've seen a few listings for 1K.   Thats what like over 4.5K per ounce of gold. (shrug)

@Woods020 the thing that threw me off with numbers is the new Morgan dollar has .858 of (.999) silver kinda throw off if see a lot numbers I wonder since they mixed with something else to only put .858 of silver in the coin it’s no longer .999 purity then kinda confusing . I don’t know why they just just didn’t make it same as 90% silver that was always used in Morgan dollars the newer modern commemorative silver $1 are 90% same as Morgan , I don’t see why they decided on .858 for 2021 morgans and peace dollars too ? 

On 8/6/2021 at 7:21 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Most recent comm. issues are.999

Yes, this. 90% silver may never be used again. It’s all .999 from here on.  I, for one, don’t care for it. I’d rather have the original alloy. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/3/2021 at 11:55 PM, James Zyskowski said:

I see someone posted while I am busy doing hunt and peck. Did you see the prices for the CC $300+$350 and up 🙀

Yeah, its a bunch, jm going to get an ms70 of each mint and peace just cos but will be selling my ms70s if I get them to cover them.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:42 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

With a mintage of 175,000 I wouldn't call this a "limited production", although I do think The Mint vastly under estimates the demand for such products. I have a hard time seeing prices on the secondary market going anywhere but down in the next 5 years and maybe under The Mint's original sell price, eventually. My question is what is the estimated delivery for graded coins? I'm assuming that if people purchase them now the coins won't arrive for 9 months, from the average seller, based on The Mint's shipping estimate and current turnaround times at TPG's.

Presently I've got one coin getting graded has been in since June with no resto needed so when there's an influx of possibly 150,000 coins plus its going to slow down a lot.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:47 PM, Dark Chameleon said:

Presently I've got one coin getting graded has been in since June with no resto needed so when there's an influx of possibly 150,000 coins plus its going to slow down a lot.

Do you really think only 25,000 will remain “raw”? If that’s true, I give up.

I agree with VKurtB.  I like the look of the 90% coins better.  What I really don't like is the milk spots on the modern .999 silver coins.   Sadly, they'll show up on some of these new Morgan and Peace dollars.  

On 8/11/2021 at 1:32 PM, MN1 said:

I agree with VKurtB.  I like the look of the 90% coins better.  What I really don't like is the milk spots on the modern .999 silver coins.   Sadly, they'll show up on some of these new Morgan and Peace dollars.  

As Rocky Balboa once said on a different subject, “Absolutely.”