• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Token-Shell Famous American Coin Game Lewis and Clark
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Thought I would share, going through a bag of old 1968 shell oil tokens and only came up with this error. 90% was made with the misprinted "Clarke" which the scarce one was made with the correct name. Pretty cool to have these. It's amazing when you come across stuff you never knew was out there.

20210802_154338.jpg

20210802_154438.jpg

@Hinkle  The misspelling is certainly interesting.  We're there other "Famous Americans" depicted?  How was the "Game" played?  Do you, or anyone else recall?

On 8/2/2021 at 8:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Hinkle  The misspelling is certainly interesting.  We're there other "Famous Americans" depicted?  How was the "Game" played?  Do you, or anyone else recall?

This was before my time, doing research Louis and Clark, and Henry Wade I think is the hardest to find. I guess the game was played if you purchased fuel at any shell station they hand you a token. Different set are 1000 dollars, 500 dollars ect... and also instant winners tokens. There were 24 or 26 different famous American people on the tokens. Your right it's an interesting piece thanks. I know I might be out of my league here but I just found these two tokens in this pic being different. The letter L is position different above he's hair . If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know, I love to learn.

20210802_195927.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I remember these promotions as a kid, since my father always bought Fords and always filled them with Shell gasoline. The medals were received with any purchase meeting a certain minimum, and they were enclosed in flexible, white plastic envelopes that looked very much like condom wrappers. Each series had one entry that was nearly impossible to find, and only by having them all would players win the grand prize. The best remembered series was the one for U. S. presidents, which ran around 1968. The key to that game was Warren G. Harding, and I never saw that one in aluminum. Lesser winners would receive a complete set of the medals coined in brass and mounted within a decorative cardboard holder. A fellow collector's father ponied up to simply buy the complete set in brass, and I was quite envious at the time.

Shell wasn't the only company to run these games.

I notice on the Lewis and Clark tokens they also redid the reverse die. The shell figure is more detailed on the corrected token.  On the Bell Tokens it also appears they change the treatment of the hair below the second L.