• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended price paid for coins ?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

As a reasonably new collector who only sells when upgrading a coin and mainly deals with eBay and great collections, any suggestions to these 2 thoughts .

* When buying stick to a price of 75-80 percent of book value (unless it's a "must-have item).

* When selling try to get 75-80 percent of book value or "break even".

Obviously there are exceptions to this mind set, but I feel there is at least 25% of fluff in the hobby because of Non-collectors are just trying to make money (or are passing on eBay fees to buyer)

Thoughts greatly appreciated.  

Unfortunately, for me, the 🐓 fanatic, I have already upgraded my small line of sixteen coins to the stratospheric limits and when you are dealing with people who have a pop 1/0 coin, they are the "market" and they call the shots.  Say No, and you will live out the rest of your days with a hole in your collection (heart) that cannot be filled.

I may be completely off base here as I am by no means an expert in any sense of the imagination when it comes buying or selling but thought I'd throw this out there.  What I do to get a reasonable value of a coin is to look at past GC or HA sales and see what similar coins have sold for.  Like QA said, I think pop reports are valuable as well in determining how many are out there that have been examined by TPG's.  I look at it as a supply and demand issue, obviously.

There is no one size fits all number that can be used when determining coin values, both for buying and selling.   A 20% haircut when selling a common date common condition coin may be the norm for today whereas a 20 % profit may be the norm in a year from now.   Common Morgan dollars are a perfect example, a year ago you could buy all the slabbed MS65 common date Morgan dollars you wanted for around $80-$100 all day any day.  The market for those today is closer to $200 each thanks to the rise in PM's and the hype over the mint release of the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars.   A year from now who knows maybe the norm will be $400 each or back to $100. (shrug)  And we have not even begun to touch all the possible variables like color, slab style/type, special label, etc...

All you can do is research the current market and what values are at this moment in time, use that information to make the most informed decision you can when buying or selling.

Join the ANA and keep up with market values at the back of The Numismatist. I think it takes three months to work through all U.S. coins. It’s as good, and bad, as any other “book” value, and you get a great magazine as well. 

On 8/2/2021 at 3:05 PM, ldhall said:

I'm sorry - I meant the online PCGS and NGC price guide. Although I have a Red Book and a Numismedia, its easier to go online :( ??

Have you ever taken a specific coin issue and condition, and compared the results from those guide value results to others? Also, I trust you fully apprehend that there are multiple reasonable prices. There's what a dealer would pay a walk-in, what a collector would pay a walk-in, and what a dealer would charge for that same coin. If you want to become well educated, do some studies on a variety of issues and conditions across various pricing guides, and then search sold listings on Ebenezer (and any other market-driven results source you know of).

Can I politely ask if we can change the Rooster pic to this???? My kids love it.  I've actually tried to explain to them what it means here on the forum but.........

17886580_web1_webbekkevarhaydisplay1mn.jpg

Edited by GBrad