• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth my time?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

What would you say as seasoned professionals is the less difficult of coinage to find that brings in the money? I know pennies you can get lucky. Quarters are more frequent dimes and nickels of older era. What about foreign coins?

On 8/1/2021 at 12:04 AM, Michelemoney said:

What would you say as seasoned professionals is the less difficult of coinage to find that brings in the money? I know pennies you can get lucky. Quarters are more frequent dimes and nickels of older era. What about foreign coins?

Foreign coins have less demand but it's easier to find rarities, largely because fewer people know or want those rarities.

Collecting should be for the love of collecting it becomes a passion . Too many new people are watching YouTube videos showing them certain coins are worth tons and tons of money “ ill information” that’s not fully true . Collecting isn’t about getting rich quickly or at all , I’d say I’ve invested more money into my collection that I’ll never ever get back “fully” in return . Perhaps maybe in next 20-30 years I might gain back what I put in to some of my collection . Prices sometimes don’t change much depends on market and demands which is slow sometimes moves like a roller coaster 

On 8/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, JKK said:

Foreign coins have less demand but it's easier to find rarities, largely because fewer people know or want those rarities.

True for now , but as years go on world coins are starting to become more popular certain years and prices for some of scarce world coins years can be really pricey. 

Think about how many coin dealers are out there buying and selling and have been doing it for years. If coin collecting was a "get rich quick" hobby, do you think most of them would still be doing it? You have to "Have" money, to "Buy" money and to "Sell" money. 

If the OP's goal is to search circulating coins for ones that can be sold at a profit, then he/she best learn what buyers want and how to spot them among hundreds of thousands of ordinary coins.

Not to dissuade you at all from the hobby, but what you are proposing is not going to make you money unless you get extremely lucky. Like playing the lotto lucky. You would do much better to get a side job at minimum wage for the hours you would spend trying to find something to make money on. It happens but this isn’t a get rich quick thing. I do think quality coins over time may prove to be a good investment, hopefully, but flipping coins you find is not as easy as it may seem. And your competition is huge, and your selling costs add up quickly. eBay will take 12.5% of your sale for fees and payment for example. Long story short collect coins if you enjoy it and in time you may see an increase, but to think it’s a short term money maker is highly unlikely. Especially if your current knowledge level leads you to ask what might make money. No offense. 

If you truly want to make a “little” money sounds like you want to invest in to precious metals like gold and silver , sit on it for a decade or so watch the precious metal market if it goes up time to dump your stash back on market you may make a small profit back in that case … but in coin collecting and getting coins graded to make a profit is a different ballgame that doesn’t always go well profit wise 

On 8/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, Jason Abshier said:

If you truly want to make a “little” money sounds like you want to invest in to precious metals like gold and silver , sit on it for a decade or so watch the precious metal market if it goes up time to dump your stash back on market you may make a small profit back in that case … but in coin collecting and getting coins graded to make a profit is a different ballgame that doesn’t always go well profit wise 

Bullion examples number one:   I bought 100oz.of silver between 2and5 years ago. At $12-$15 an oz. now it’s say $26  what profit beyond the obvious is there when I can’t replace it at$12-$15   So what would I achieve other than maybe $1000 once but nowhere to invest and who knows with silver very roller coaster 🤓. My point is that still at my level I don’t see a business opportunity 

Edited by James Zyskowski

If you’ve been led to believe that coins, especially plucking coins from circulation, can make you any kind of money, you have been lied to. There are many full time dealers who apparently can’t afford a decent shirt. There is only one way I’ve ever been able to get “sick” deals, and that is back country in person auctions with no Internet bidding. And even at that, I bid on series that are NOT presently “hot”. I’ve scored excellent coppers when everybody else has targeted precious metals.

Edited by VKurtB

@James Zyskowski you might wanna hold on a little longer until silver reaches $35-$40 an ounce double than what you paid for it @ $12-$15 an ounce we might not see that price until 2030-2035 who knows . Precious metal isn’t really a business opportunity, more like if you fall on hard time it’s there at your disposal to dump it on market gain a little profit back