• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatcha think about this beauty?? Should I get it graded??
1 1

31 posts in this topic

First I managed to snag this beaut for $35 good buy?? Or No?? Also I noticed maybe one or two slight hairline scratches on his cheek can barely even tell... would this be MS?? And worth actually getting it graded?? Thank you for your insight and for the knowledge!!!

VideoCapture_20210728-221517.jpg

VideoCapture_20210728-221302.jpg

VideoCapture_20210728-220910.jpg

VideoCapture_20210728-220855.jpg

VideoCapture_20210728-220818.jpg

VideoCapture_20210728-220836.jpg

Edited by Atlskrilla

On 7/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, Atlskrilla said:

Huh???

They said that your coin has serious issues. It might not be authentic. It has certainly been abused with a brutal polishing job. It is positively not mint state. Hopefully that is clearer.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Run a magnet over it  not good if it sticks. Weight it should be 26.73 gm and it looks circulated and cleaned. That being said at $35 your ok if genuine 

A real one will kinda sorta stick to a powerful rare earth magnet, but not a normal one.

Ask yourself this one , 1886-O a serious Morgan dollar that fetches nice premium in MS grades but you got it for $35 ? Sounds too good to be true . The coin looks fake , take good look at field of the coin the texture of metal looks really off . But hey! we all learn luckily your’s was only a $35 mistake . My best advice to newer collectors save up your money and buy a nice authenticated Morgan graded by NGC or PCGS … Do not buy raw coins and hoping of sending them in for grading that’s for a more experienced collector… also have ask yourself if that was a true genuine 1886-O Morgan dollar why is it raw ? The seller would have enough common sense to have it graded and sell it for nicer premium ?  

Edited by Jason Abshier

The more I look at these OP pictures, the more I see some REALLY sketchy stuff. The fields look like they may have been treated with mercury at some point. Yes, mercury (Not Freddie) is a liquid at room temperature but it can amalgamate with silver as a solid that creates what a beginner might think it a pretty sheen. Depending on your age, you may have silver/mercury amalgam in your teeth. They were a very popular filling for dental caries, when I was young. 

@VKurtB I agree definitely a bad plating job, looks almost like someone was plating aluminum over it . I’ve seen funny money play money look better than this Morgan also the letters around coin don’t look genuine look out of focus but the field of a coin is dead give away something is way way off about this coin 

So I when bought this coin it was from a auction website and the photos that were attached were just generic stock photos no actual photos of the actual coin...now I know why they didnt take actual ones...bahahaha probably wouldn't have even sold & when It arrived, honestly what I thought was it looked good but now I know otherwise. Yes I am new to collecting so ty for the insight but when I titled this post it was more so in a joking manner. I did feel like it was to good to be true. Also why I posted so many pictures... so experts could examine it not being present. That being said when I get home tonight I'll check with a magnet and get back to yall with the results. Ty to all who responded and i didn't take any comments to heart. I mean that's why I asked was because I honestly didn't know but knowledge is power and the more you know the better off you'll be!!! Right?? :]

Screenshot_20210729-152934_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Atlskrilla

On 7/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Atlskrilla said:

So I when bought this coin it was from a auction website and the photos that were attached were just generic stock photos no actual photos of the actual coin...now I know why they didnt take actual ones...bahahaha probably wouldn't have even sold & when It arrived, honestly what I thought was it looked good but now I know otherwise. Yes I am new to collecting so ty for the insight but when I titled this post it was more so in a joking manner. I did feel like it was to good to be true. Also why I posted so many pictures... so experts could examine it not being present. That being said when I get home tonight I'll check with a magnet and get back to yall with the results. Ty to all who responded and i didn't take any comments to heart. I mean that's why I asked was because I honestly didn't know but knowledge is power and the more you know the better off you'll be!!! Right?? :]

Screenshot_20210729-152934_Chrome.jpg

Hey we have all made dumb buys. I have been at this a little while now and made a dumb one recently. I knew it was dumb when I did it yet still said ah let’s see if they are telling the truth. The good news is I’ll get my money back. I don’t know where you purchased this but perhaps there is a return policy? Don’t be afraid to call and ask. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:18 PM, Atlskrilla said:

... would this be MS?? And worth actually getting it graded??

No and very no.

Worn, cleaned, polished and otherwise abused. Suitable for a belt buckle - maybe.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:45 PM, Atlskrilla said:

Really???? That's not what I wanted to hear!!!

Well if you want we can tell you what you want to hear, you can spend a lot of money sending it in for grading and have it come back in a slab worth less than what you spent on the grading.  Would that make you happier?

On the bright side I do think that it is real.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:04 PM, VKurtB said:

A real one will kinda sorta stick to a powerful rare earth magnet, but not a normal one.

No it won't "stick" to it but silver will resist the movement of magnetic lines of force through it.  So as you move a strong rare earth magnet past it you will feel a resistance to the movement.  On small silver coins the resistance can be enough to drag the coin.  This is why magnetic slides work to detect silver.  As the coin slides down the silver resists the movement of the lines of force through it and this slows its rate of fall.  There is no attractive force between the magnet and the coin as there is with iron or steel.

Edited by Conder101

On 7/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, Atlskrilla said:

So a magnet definitely did not attract to this coin ... so that's means it's real right??

No.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Weight please 26.73 grams 😊Or there abouts. Really it’s the next question in authentication 

Well I think it's atleast safe to say it's real... YIppiieee!! Haha

Collage 2021-07-30 08_24_40.jpg

I wouldn't be celebrating after paying $35.00 for a coin that should only sell at 'Melt'.  You'd be lucky if a Dealer gave you $15.00 for it.    

For example, if the spot price of silver is at $20 an ounce, a Morgan Dollar would have an intrinsic or melt value of $15.47 (not accounting for any wear and tear which may have reduced the amount of silver still present in the coin). Many of them through history have been removed from circulation and melted due to their silver content.

Edited by Alex in PA.

I wish I knew exactly what all had been done to it. It’s a strange looking piece for sure. Maybe it was a magnesium plating job like Kurt said. Especially since it is worn and still on the heavy side of weight.  I don’t think I’ve seen one that looks just like this, but of course there are a whole lot of things I haven’t seen yet. 

Edited by Woods020

On 7/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, Woods020 said:

Hey we have all made dumb buys. 

I have made several. I used them all as learning experiences. Some of them I learned the hard expensive way. I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person on some of them but you live and learn I guess. It can always be worse. Just very thankful for the experts on this forum for sharing they're very appreciated knowledge with me. It's helped me from making more dumb purchases. Message to the OP. Don't feel bad my friend. I've made similar purchases on things that I should have slowed down on and gave more thought about. If you ever decide to make another purchase your not sure about then post it on this forum and the wonderful people on here can help you make a good decision. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 7/29/2021 at 5:48 PM, Atlskrilla said:

So a magnet definitely did not attract to this coin ... so that's means it's real right??

No, that just means it isn't made of pure nickel or an iron alloy.  A fake made of any other silver colored metal alloy would not be attracted to a magnet. either.  So the fact that it is not attracted to a magnet does NOT automatically make it real.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, RWB said:

This is what a nice uncirculated 1886-O.jpg.7c4fba37bd13df1af0a298b42574e494.jpg1886-O silver dollar should look like.

Very thoughtful of you to supply photos of a nice UNC silver dollar.  If the weight is within  acceptable limits -- and the methods used by mad scientists to enhance appearance do not apply, there is still the nagging suspicion of wear on the most vulnerable high points, and of particular note to me: Lack of well-defined denticles uniformly throughout as well as something else no one bothered to mention: the unknown milky white substance between the E in ONE and A in DOLLAR on the bottom of the reverse.   🐓