• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Internet coin sales, L&C Coins

43 posts in this topic

Simple question. Is this a reliable site/business to purchase from?  I assume it is since it is promoted by NGC or at least that's the way I read it.  Thanks for your replies!

image.thumb.png.050e2a8ff38e1c37c8c10f9a5122ddf4.png

On 7/28/2021 at 3:45 PM, GBrad said:

Simple question. Is this a reliable site/business to purchase from?  I assume it is since it is promoted by NGC or at least that's the way I read it.  Thanks for your replies!

image.thumb.png.050e2a8ff38e1c37c8c10f9a5122ddf4.png

They’re fine. They’ve been in mail order “forever”. And they also do the major show circuit. Shop carefully. They have some great deals and some not so great. 

The business is merely making a statement about itself - there's no endorsement by NGC or others.

How many coins in a "ton" weight? Long ton or short ton? Metric or English? In slabs or raw? Etc..... ;)

You are reading too much into the add NGC is not endorsing L&C, L&C has paid for the advertising space of that banner.   Having said that I have only bought one item from L&C and that was an item they had on eBay a few months back.  It was rather pricey (as most are on eBay) but I had some e bucks to burn so that brought it down to a reasonable price.  I had no issues the item was delivered quickly and I am happy with the purchase.

Gbrad I just saw you are a fellow Alabama resident. I’m down in Tuscaloosa. I just moved back myself. Kurt and I are ironically on the same trip. We both moved from the Philadelphia PA area to Alabama recently. But I grew up here. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, Woods020 said:

Gbrad I just saw you are a fellow Alabama resident. I’m down in Tuscaloosa. I just moved back myself. Kurt and I are ironically on the same trip. We both moved from the Philadelphia PA area to Alabama recently. But I grew up here. 

Grew up in Reading, lived about 10 years in northern Lancaster County, then moved to downtown Harrisburg for about 3 years, then 6 months in Huntsville and now in Arab, in Marshall County, AL.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:15 PM, VKurtB said:

Grew up in Reading, lived about 10 years in northern Lancaster County, then moved to downtown Harrisburg for about 3 years, then 6 months in Huntsville and now in Arab, in Marshall County, AL.

I didn’t know you were in Arab. That literally made me chuckle a little. I can only imagine what a PA boy thinks of things around sand mountain. That’s an area the rednecks make fun of for being too country 😂

But check out Smith lake not too far from you if you like the lake life. Lots of weekend rentals and a beautiful lake. Very crowded in the summer though. 

Just after my wife and I moved here, two families across the street sold their homes. Apparently they weren’t ready for a neighbor who spoke Northern. She’s a long term Alabama girl, Marine Corps brat, both parents, so she got moved around a lot as a kid. Her Dad died in 2016 and he left me a piece of the burned O-ring from the Challenger explosion. His last job before retiring was re-assembling the wreckage in a hangar. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, Woods020 said:

Sorry for any miscommunication. I am not an Alabama resident.  I am from, born and raised, and live in North Georgia.  I have a very good friend who has a lake house on Lake Martin near Dadeville.  I visit this place regularly and would gladly live here on this lake because it is absolutely beautiful.  But..... I love my North Georgia Mountains. Thanks for all the replies regarding my question.  

On 7/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, VKurtB said:

They’re fine. They’ve been in mail order “forever”. And they also do the major show circuit. Shop carefully. They have some great deals and some not so great. 

I bought three items from them today.  Two of them were slabbed. I will know better about my purchase when I receive them. I did not spend much at all but I am looking forward to getting them.  Thanks.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, GBrad said:

Sorry for any miscommunication. I am not an Alabama resident.  I am from, born and raised, and live in North Georgia.  I have a very good friend who has a lake house on Lake Martin near Dadeville.  I visit this place regularly and would gladly live here on this lake because it is absolutely beautiful.  But..... I love my North Georgia Mountains. Thanks for all the replies regarding my question.  

Dahlonega. Gotta go. See you in Dalton in late August?

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/29/2021 at 1:19 PM, VKurtB said:
On 7/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, GBrad said:

Dahlonega. Gotta go. See you in Dalton in late August

Waiting on you!!😁

On 7/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, GBrad said:

Waiting on you!!😁

I am a certainty for the August coin show in Dalton. Which day or days still to be determined.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:34 PM, VKurtB said:

I am a certainty for the August coin show in Dalton. Which day or days still to be determined.

PM me to let me know what days you are going to be there when you decide. 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Right smack downtown Arab. Yeah,

DUDE culture shock huh!!  are you near thr lake or damn?  if you look straight across the lake and see that light on the moutain over there.  That is where I used to live. 

Similar "complete set" deals were once common in hobby publications. At price of $5,000 for a complete set of Morgans in MS-63 or almost any other condition is close to impossible. 1889-CC and 1893-S alone would cost more. One dealer has a "complete set" in "genuine" slabs for $20,000.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:45 AM, JT2 said:

DUDE culture shock huh!!  are you near thr lake or damn?  if you look straight across the lake and see that light on the moutain over there.  That is where I used to live. 

I’m right downtown. I had to go to Guntersville for closing on the house, and I’ve been required to go north and south for my wife’s medical needs, and we’ve explored a little west, but not much east yet, except for a run to Gadsden for a coin show at the mall. I can take a 5 minute walk and be on Main Street / Alabama Route 69.

Edited by VKurtB

Be cautious of the package deals. I’ve seen many that are too good to be true. I’ve also bought a few dansco albums recently that were fully or partially completed. I bought them mainly for the albums when they were hard to find and highly discounted the coins in them. I am glad I did because most people say a full  album of BU coins and in reality maybe 25% are uncirculated. Not a problem if you price it accordingly but don’t trust packages where people promise good quality coins. Almost always it seems the coins aren’t as described. 

I received a type 2 , 2021 silver dollar proof from the mint this week. It has the regular W mint mark on the front under the date but it also has a W mark on the reverse side. Has anyone else noted such a mint error? I haven't taken pictures yet but I will submit to NGC for grading if this is a rare error. Thanks, mike ski- email- mikeski26@yahoo.com

On 7/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, mikeski said:

I received a type 2 , 2021 silver dollar proof from the mint this week. It has the regular W mint mark on the front under the date but it also has a W mark on the reverse side. Has anyone else noted such a mint error? I haven't taken pictures yet but I will submit to NGC for grading if this is a rare error. Thanks, mike ski- email- mikeski26@yahoo.com

That’s the designer’s initials. Go to us mint web site on the product list there’s a good explanation. Not a error the obverse is reworked there’s also a blank spot on the edge below the date. 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:55 PM, GBrad said:

I bought three items from them today.  Two of them were slabbed. I will know better about my purchase when I receive them. I did not spend much at all but I am looking forward to getting them.  Thanks.

Well...., my three coins arrived USPS today back home in Georgia but I'm not there to see them right now (darn it).  Took a three day fishing trip to Gulf Shores with a good friend and I'm now back at his lake house in Alabama till Wednesday.  I was pretty successful catching fish off my buddy's boat but he wasn't, sadly.  Probably not a polite thing to "out fish" your friend on his own boat.....:bigsmile: but we had a blast other than getting whipped on my hand from a stingray's tail I was getting off of my friends hook for him.  First time we've taken his center console out to the Gulf and it did very well.  Got yelled at by the Coast Guard while doing a radio check on a brand new marine radio setup we bought on the way down to the Gulf.  The dang owner's manual (a NICE Cobra marine grade radio might I add) explicitly said it was ok to do a simple radio check on channel 16 as long as there isn't any other traffic on this channel which I know is the main priority distress channel for the USCG. I need to contact Cobra electronics and tell them they need to revise the information in their owner's manual........ Oh well.... no harm done and I'm sure I gave numerous other boaters a good laugh when the Coast Guard put me in my place over the radio (glad I made someone's day).  I'll post some pics of the coins I bought when I get back home to share the quality of them if in fact they are worthy. Like I said, they weren't expensive at all but I just wanted a couple of slabbed MS69's for comparison purposes, one from NGC and one from PCGS, while I learn more about the process and intricacies of coin grading.

Edited by GBrad

On 7/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, ldhall said:

I thought it was too good to be true :( Upon investigation it's not L&C but LCR coins lol. I really don't understand "how these "fly by night" companies are allowed to misrepresent industry and stay in business

I looked into this when I read your quote.  The coins I purchased were from L&C Coins but I do see there is an LCR Coins as well.  I assume you were talking about the Morgan set you looked into and weren't referring to my opening post and picture on this thread.  

On 8/2/2021 at 12:11 PM, GBrad said:

I looked into this when I read your quote.  The coins I purchased were from L&C Coins but I do see there is an LCR Coins as well.  I assume you were talking about the Morgan set you looked into and weren't referring to my opening post and picture on this thread.  

Correct - sorry for mis-communication. I still learning how to navigate this blog :(