• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Grading options
1 1

22 posts in this topic

After fulfilling my ASE fetish, I'm working on my Morgan fetish. 2 questions:

1) If you wanted to keep one and sell one between (2) 1887 Morgan PCGS 63 and an ANACS 64; which would you keep ?

2) Would you have a 2015-P ASE, MS 69 graded by ICG regraded by one of the big 2 ? I use to live off Anacs because of price but I'm seeing a disparity in the prices of different grading companies for same grade coin.

Thanx for any help for this newbie collector. 

1) I would look at the coins and decide, rather than considering the holders.

2) No, but all I can say about ASE collecting is that I recognize that some people engage in it, and that none of them need my opinion about the worthwhileness of ASE collecting, so I am manifestly not a useful source.

1) At the end of the day I would keep the coin that talks to me the most, however for some collectors there are other factors in play than just the coin itself.

2) Depends on the reason for having it regraded, if the goal is to sell then knowing the current market prices for each brand of plastic is a valid concern and reason for attempting a crossover.   However you also have to be very good at grading in order to have a better than 50% chance of a cross at grade, after all there may be a reason the coin is not already in the plastic of the big two.    If you are unsuccessful in an attempt to crossover to another plastic brand then you have just thrown away money that cannot be recouped.  If the goal is to keep it I would not bother with any crossover unless there is another very compelling reason that you would need a different brand of plastic.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:11 PM, ldhall said:

Thanx for the advice and being gentle about ASE collecting :):) 

I can go so far as to say I understand it better than I do some forms of collecting. But no one needs my understanding or approval to choose their numismatic inclinations, so I'm irrelevant to that process. I am very serious about my first point, which is that you buy/keep the coin, not the slab, even if it's one of those JGS garage operations that specializes in making sure people like their results. That by itself does not rule out the need to look at the coin, the coin, the coin.

RE: "Thoughts on Grading options."

Do you mean Puts and Calls, or when you're vested in incentive options,  or....?

Hey howdy glad to see you back. As a fellow student I will pass on some of my notes. NGC PCGS are the  leading services. I am a fan of ANACS also. ICG I put with the rest of the off brand slabs.For those it’s buy the coin only not the grade. Now for me there is a great big world of ase’s and lots of $ changes hands. Lots of people collecting and lots of ways to collect ase’s. There is definitely a group of seasoned collectors who insist they are bullion. Look at a2013 enhanced uncirculated ase. To me it’s art.  😊Now Morgan’s are a huge area of collecting many types varieties and such. It will keep you busy I wonder if this is a good time to start Morgan’s or peace because of the anniversary. Not many deals out there   Just a thought 

Edited by James Zyskowski

It may be helpful to post clear pictures of the two coins you are debating and you may get some useful feedback. It’s always nice to have a few eyes on it and someone may see something the others didn’t. 

Depends on how the coin looks , if it were me ? I’d sell both the MS63 PCGS and MS64 ANACS and upgrade to MS65 or MS66 in PCGS/NGC … They are a common date Morgan that can be found anywhere , any day! So I wouldn’t miss them selling them both turn around buy myself a better upgrade in a heartbeat 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, ldhall said:

1) If you wanted to keep one and sell one between (2) 1887 Morgan PCGS 63 and an ANACS 64; which would you keep ?

Whichever one I liked better.

2) Would you have a 2015-P ASE, MS 69 graded by ICG regraded by one of the big 2

Probably not.  The cost to have it regraded would probably exceed  any increase in value.  Since you called it a 2015-P I assume this is one of those "special" minted in Philadelphia and we only know it because of the band on the monster box coins.  If so you may find that the "special" designation won't cross over, and if it doesn't then all you have is a slabbed bullion coin.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:10 PM, Conder101 said:

Whichever one I liked better.

Probably not.  The cost to have it regraded would probably exceed  any increase in value.  Since you called it a 2015-P I assume this is one of those "special" minted in Philadelphia and we only know it because of the band on the monster box coins.  If so you may find that the "special" designation won't cross over, and if it doesn't then all you have is a slabbed bullion coin.

It's pheromones....that's how to tell the difference.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:49 PM, RWB said:

RE: "Thoughts on Grading options."

Do you mean Puts and Calls, or when you're vested in incentive options,  or....?

Brilliant! Maybe I need to buy Puts on the value of grading bullion. Don’t double down on grading ASE’s. Leave it in an ICG. Now if it were a 1995-W proof, that would be a different story.

Edited by VKurtB

Wow, great information - thanx. As far as pics of Morgans - I have to get a better scanner / phone :) I decided to keep the ANACS 64 and sell PCGS 63 because I'm not really into toning (some look like tarnish me) and this one didn't have a nice toning - almost like the process was just starting around left edges only. The advice on "special" mint for the 2015-P was very valuable and it will remain as ICG. As far as TPG's - if I pay for grading I will stick with ANACS due to cost, But I will buy NGC and PCGS if buying slabs (hopefully without increase price for name). Exception: if I buy raw and send to Great Collections, I will pick NGC / PCGS service because they sell better. I will slow down on my Morgan chase with the frenzy over 2021 Morgan. Thanx again for all this input. This site is great for "Newbee's" :) 

thoughts ???

My thoughts are welcome and I too feel very comfy on this here newbie forum. I have learned a lot. I have my share of bumps and bruises but most people here are wonderful some are truly enduring characters that love of coins drew us all together. Pretty dang cool 😎   You picked right up on the knowledge being offered and at what we all are learning we are better together and humor helps with our stubbed toes. Probably a good idea to wait and see how Morgan prices go when the new ones are released 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, ldhall said:

Wow, great information - thanx. As far as pics of Morgans - I have to get a better scanner / phone :) I decided to keep the ANACS 64 and sell PCGS 63 because I'm not really into toning (some look like tarnish me) and this one didn't have a nice toning - almost like the process was just starting around left edges only. The advice on "special" mint for the 2015-P was very valuable and it will remain as ICG. As far as TPG's - if I pay for grading I will stick with ANACS due to cost, But I will buy NGC and PCGS if buying slabs (hopefully without increase price for name). Exception: if I buy raw and send to Great Collections, I will pick NGC / PCGS service because they sell better. I will slow down on my Morgan chase with the frenzy over 2021 Morgan. Thanx again for all this input. This site is great for "Newbee's" :) 

thoughts ???

If you buy raw and send to GC, the coins will have to be slabbed. Your smart move there would be to let GC decide where to send them, as they have a finger on the pulse of grading tendencies. That's part of the service you're paying for, their knowledge.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, JKK said:

If you buy raw and send to GC, the coins will have to be slabbed. Your smart move there would be to let GC decide where to send them, as they have a finger on the pulse of grading tendencies. That's part of the service you're paying for, their knowledge.

GC is the successor company to Teletrade. I bought quite a few in their auctions. We used to bid by touch-tone phones. How retro is THAT?!?!

On 7/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, VKurtB said:

GC is the successor company to Teletrade. I bought quite a few in their auctions. We used to bid by touch-tone phones. How retro is THAT?!?!

Even more "retro" was when they sent you VCR tapes of the coins so you could see them before the auction.Obv Rev and and a "twirl" to show the cartwheel.

Edited by Conder101

On 7/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, Conder101 said:

Even more "retro" was when they sent you VCR tapes of the coins so you could see them before the auction.Obv Rev and and a "twirl" to show the cartwheel.

This hobby needs to try to develop a moving picture format that is not a huge file size, and is fairly easy to do cheaply. How’s that for a challenge?

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, VKurtB said:

This hobby needs to try to develop a moving picture format that is not a huge file size, and is fairly easy to do cheaply. How’s that for a challenge?

I was on a private dealer’s website last year just snooping around (forgotten what website it was) they did that show Obv and Rev of coin then short video of them showing the luster cartwheel under a light. 

On 7/29/2021 at 9:17 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I was on a private dealer’s website last year just snooping around (forgotten what website it was) they did that show Obv and Rev of coin then short video of them showing the luster cartwheel under a light. 

I saw that too and I was hoping the format was stable enough for an ANA Money Talk. 

After fulfilling my ASE fetish, I'm working on my Morgan fetish. 2 questions:

2) Would you have a 2015-P ASE, MS 69 graded by ICG regraded by one of the big 2 ? I use to live off Anacs because of price but I'm seeing a disparity in the prices of different grading companies for same grade coin.

Thanx for any help for this newbie collector. 

1).  Whichever of the two has greater eye appeal if you see no distinction between the forbidden subject of technical vs marketing grading.

2). Yes.   🐓

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Removal of baseless accusation.