• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a struck through or a die chip error?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I think I know the answer to this question, but I would like other people’s opinion as well. Sorry for being long-winded. The marks on the front seem as though they were pushed through because I can see an image protruding from the back of the coin, which could mean this was deliberately done after the coin was minted. Not sure why the two indentations are not the same shape if someone used a tool to do this. The image on the back of the coin, where the Eagles leg is missing is also indented but I don't see a protrusion on the front of the coin and the shape is different than the two on the front of the coin. The lower indentation on the front of the coin is almost perfectly round but the extrusion on the back is not. I've been looking at strike through Errors and die chips to see if they could be responsible for the condition of this coin. For those that don't know what a strike through coin is or a die chip, below is a definition of both. So now you have all the reasons I question what seems to be the obvious. All comments and views are welcome. 

Struck throughs occur when a piece of foreign material comes between the die and a planchet during striking. The coin is said to be “struck through” the foreign material, which leaves behind an impression on the coin's surface.

Die chips are small, isolated chunks of metal that break away from the die, usually in the middle of the coin away from the rim. A die chip on a coin appears as a raised mound of metal, and these die chips can range in size from very small to quite large.

Shot without a flash 2021-07-24 at 5.23.44 PM.png

IMO it’s does appear to be a strike through the two objects on the obverse seem to closely match the overall shape in the reverse plus the eagles feather spine shows through meaning to me that it could not be done post minting.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

IMO it’s does appear to be a strike through the two objects on the obverse seem to closely match the overall shape in the reverse plus the eagles feather spine shows through meaning to me that it could not be done post minting.

Thanks for your comments.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, l.cutler said:

Welcome to the forum.  I think you got it, somebody intentionally damaged it.

Thanks for your quick response.

Based on another thread, I thought I would try my hand at pulling an Annie Oakley with my trusty sling shot and a few ball bearings.

If you PM me, I would be more than happy to compensate you with a bi-centennial Ike dollar for your trouble.  You may even retain evidence of the crime if you wish.  😉

On 7/25/2021 at 10:38 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Based on another thread, I thought I would try my hand at pulling an Annie Oakley with my trusty sling shot and a few ball bearings

You beat me to it QA.  This Quarter took a direct hit from a Red Rider (You'll shoot your eye out) BB gun (Anybody remember "The Christmas Story"?). The first shot was dead on.. the second shot on the Quarter was, well.... OK.... I could go on and on but the first Quarter in this post is simply PMD.  Welcome to the forum Jimez1.