• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 DDO?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just found this 1955 specimen and need some help. Is it a true double die? Or just machine doubling? And is it something collectible and/or valuable? 

Thanks 

F133A090-2F75-4E61-8FC4-96F34C5EF9EA.jpeg

0446BDE1-0FF4-4F2E-8D2E-4D8158DA68D9.jpeg

89C85621-FEC0-460F-8993-5B3408749742.jpeg

20C99AE2-36BF-444D-A5F2-0143A74146B8.jpeg

449BF6ED-B6B0-458C-9E88-D7FE1369ECB7.jpeg

3FAA882C-592A-431F-990B-7A4820330A1D.jpeg

E5725FA6-8D3C-4ECD-81CE-359141DFFDFA.jpeg

Edited by _Nathaniel
Reorganize & add photos

Oldhoopster and Greenstang have been at this coin collecting  a lot longer than me but I have seen something like the ( in god we trust ) as a variety at vista. You may want to look at this . I'm not saying it is the same one but it looks close enough to check it out .Most errors are not worth a lot of money there are so many in Pennies.  

http://www.varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/1955PDDO002.htm

Edited by J P Mashoke

Nice coin displayed by the OP (no offense James Z.:bigsmile:)!  Definitely a DDO on the 1955 Linc. It's not the holy grail FS-101 of the 55' DDO but it's no doubt a doubled die.  I too believe it is FS-102. Maybe a mid to slightly later stage but a very good find nevertheless!(thumbsu

Edited by GBrad

On 7/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Looks more like die deterioration doubling to me.

I am constrained to agree.

On 7/26/2021 at 2:59 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am constrained to agree.

On 7/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Looks more like die deterioration doubling to me.

Hey guys.  I know I commented on the OP's question about this one.  I zoomed in on the pics and then compared them in depth to all three major cross reference sites.  I am pretty convinced this is FS-102 even without seeing a clear pic of Linc's eyelid (that Coinbuf requested) where there should also be prominent doubling but then again it may not be evident due to circulation wear or die state. IGWT looks identical to the cross references I examined and the LI in LIBERTY appears to be an exact match, especially the I with the very noticeable notch.  Yes, I do believe there is some DDD evident on the OP's coin due to the later die stage.  But what am I missing here that makes you believe, in your assessment and truly valued opinions which I totally respect, that this is not FS-102? I'm just curious if I am missing something here.  I am very familiar with DDD and MD but this one, to me, does not fit the bill for a completely worn out die which would cause DDD.  The doubling appears to be very prominent IMHO when examined closely.  Thanks!

Edited by GBrad

[Tangential trajectory:  If I may, I wish to compliment you on your writing style.  You are by far the most polite Cro Magnon of your species I believe I have ever encountered in cyberspace.  I do hope the Neaderthals appreciate the unusual distinction.]

On 7/26/2021 at 1:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Tangential trajectory:  If I may, I wish to compliment you on your writing style.  You are by far the most polite Cro Magnon of your species I believe I have ever encountered in cyberspace.  I do hope the Neaderthals appreciate the unusual distinction.]

I think I am learning as much about the English language as I am about coins xD !! You have forced me to study certain verbiage through your writings and comments. Thank you for your nice comment above.