• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An odd "top pop" error.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

When I look at the "old versions?" of my 10G set that won the "Best in Category" award in 2016-2020, all of the coins, on every year, say they are "Top Pop." Except - I'm pretty sure none of these things have ever been Top Pops in the entire time I've owned them and they are not now - they weren't when I won in 2020, but they show that way in these screen caps.

Is this a "problem" - No. Not really, and I can't imagine fixing it should be a very high priority for NGC, but it does seem to be an error.

I say "Seems to be" because I can't rule out that you did this on purpose in the winning set display and I'm just wrong/uninformed. lol 

215165464_903853740168337_5639113069359176726_n.jpg

217640558_511662606582533_8752923623317975107_n.jpg

@Revenant I believe I have seven (top pops) but all are shared honors; none have been graded higher [elsewhere].  Perhaps, that too, is true for you.  It is an incredible accomplishment, well-deserved, any way you look at it.   🐓

On 7/22/2021 at 6:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Revenant I believe I have seven (top pops) but all are shared honors; none have been graded higher [elsewhere].  Perhaps, that too, is true for you.  It is an incredible accomplishment, well-deserved, any way you look at it.   🐓

Nope. The closest I have in that set to a Top Pop is a coin with 7 in grade and 1 finer.

Screenshot_20210722-193819_Chrome.jpg

On 7/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

Must have just been a temporary glitch, the top pop icons are not showing right now for your set.

It's only in the archived ones when you click on the award years for 2016-2020. The "live" set hasn't been showing them.

I noticed it when I was using that to see old versions of the set and how it developed over time.

I noticed this too when I checked one of my sets’ award history. In the one pictured here, only the 1967 coin was a top pop at the time, yet they were all labeled as “Top Pop.”Same thing with my other sets of previous years—all coins are top pop!

78DA3386-742A-42D3-A301-4BE8932E54B0.jpeg

On 7/22/2021 at 6:38 PM, Revenant said:

It's only in the archived ones when you click on the award years for 2016-2020. The "live" set hasn't been showing them.

I noticed it when I was using that to see old versions of the set and how it developed over time.

Gotcha that is very weird, I cannot recall ever looking back at sets but just checked one and mine are also showing the top pop icon for non top pop coins in prior years.   That is a very interesting glitch.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, Coinbuf said:

.. I cannot recall ever looking back at sets but just checked one and mine are also showing the top pop icon for non top pop coins in prior years.   That is a very interesting glitch.

Yeah. I don't even know that it rises to "nuisance" level as glitches go, it's just not technically correct. Hopefully there's some minor coding error that they can catch and correct. Failing that I couldn't blame them if they just left it for a while and focused on other things - I'm sure most would agree that there are other features and fixes we'd rather have if this isn't a minor fix. lol