• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registering foreign coins in the Registry Set
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hi there 

I have many sets which straddle PCGS and NGC. The American ones can be cross registered but the World Coins can not, this is a grave shortcoming and i hope you agree needs to be addressed immediately 

Why? because it is insular and makes your company's Registry Set seem biased for those who collect set in your local market rather than international. 

Yours 

Thor (Ormus Collection) 

IMG_6275.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello and thanks for your interest.

PCGS coins are allowed in US sets only. The decision to remove PCGS coins from World NGC Registry sets was made by Mark Salzberg, Chairman of NGC, in early 2012, and that decision remains.  In 2012, there was a significant expense to our company to expand the World NGC Registry to support both NGC and PCGS, and the result had been that we could not release new features that support collectors of World coins (such as integration with the World Coin Price Guide, Krause, and the Census). The different attributions and designations used by NGC and PCGS for World coins have compounded that difficulty. As such, only US PCGS coins are allowed in the NGC Registry.

Hi Ali I am sure Blackstone would be happy to make this investment, as without it it holds back our industry. 

Did you know that the old traditional way to grade silver and gold was with a Black Stone?

i hope my share swings it!

Thor 

th.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, Ormus said:

Hi Ali I am sure Blackstone would be happy to make this investment, as without it it holds back our industry. 

Blackstone is happy to make money. The Registry is a marketing tool at the end of the day. NGC does us the favor of letting us put PCGS coins in US sets and even splits out awards for those sets for NGC-only vs sets with PCGS coins included.

It is not necessarily in NGC's interest to bend over backwards more to make things more inclusive for their competitors and people who mostly support their competitor. It is not necessarily in their interest to show that they're willing to spend vast sums of money to do this. What message does this send to PCGS?

Try complaining on the PCGS boards about how they should allow NGC coins - which they don't. At all. They will probably ban you suggesting it.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:02 PM, Ormus said:

Hi there 

I have many sets which straddle PCGS and NGC. The American ones can be cross registered but the World Coins can not, this is a grave shortcoming and i hope you agree needs to be addressed immediately 

Why? because it is insular and makes your company's Registry Set seem biased for those who collect set in your local market rather than international. 

OP, did you miss this part of the explanation?:

On 7/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ali E. said:

The different attributions and designations used by NGC and PCGS for World coins have compounded that difficulty. As such, only US PCGS coins are allowed in the NGC Registry.

If PCGS and NGC use different designations, and attribute world coins differently, how could they possibly include both company's coins in their registry? Can you imagine the confusion if, for example, NGC recognized varieties that PCGS did not, or vice versa. Or, if one company called a variety by one name, and the other company used a different name? Or if one company declared that a certain coin type existed, but the other company did not agree? If different standards are used - which they are - the amount of cross-referencing, footnoting, and explanations necessary would be staggering. And, that does not even take into account different standards used in grading, which, I am told, do actually exist. So, is NGC expected to change their grading standards to match their competitor, or should there be a (constantly-updated) chart that compares NGC grades to their PCGS equivalent? And, if the grades are different, which company's standards are used to rank the coins?

hi there Just Bob, 

your reasoning is very sensible but NGC has no problem doing it for American coins, i can add all my PCGS US coins in the NGC registry. Numismatics is a global hobby that like sport can bring us all together. NGC may well be a US business but world coin collectors are stuck between a black rock and a hard case. 

Thor 

Somebody alluding to the plight of the roostermeister?  I have long ago reconciled (resigned) myself to the fact that my West Coast roosters will remain right where they -- and that my East Coast roosters will continue to, er, uh, roost right here.  If My Cousin Vinny can retire from show business, so can I. When I hit the Big Seven-O next month, I will throw in the towel (unofficially relinquish my stranglehold on 🐓 across the street) and allow the young whippersnappers to experience a rare luxury: Hope that they, too, can become viable contenders. Quoting Tony Montana in the 1983 movie, "Scarface,"... "My gift to you."

On 8/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, Ormus said:

hi there Just Bob, 

your reasoning is very sensible but NGC has no problem doing it for American coins, i can add all my PCGS US coins in the NGC registry. Numismatics is a global hobby that like sport can bring us all together. NGC may well be a US business but world coin collectors are stuck between a black rock and a hard case. 

Thor 

As our fellow member, the irrepressible Great Zadok, once observed (on an unrelated matter)... "This is a moot point."  The Decision previously rendered, stands.

[I hope I do not offend anyone, but I solved this problem, by cheating. That's right, cheating!

I got myself a slab album with the standard 4 leaves which can accommodate a total of 9 slabs per leaf, 36 total.

The French 20-franc gold rooster 🐓 run is comprised of 16 coins covering the years 1899-1914. There are no hits, runs or errors. No varieties. (There are, of course, but oddly, none are acknowledged; none enjoy universal recognition.)

The first two leaves with 18 spaces, easily displays the entire [16-coin] run. That's the set which the folks ATS won by default. As every man, woman and child in the United States by now is painfully aware, 🐓 in Mint State grade are generally plentiful; it is the earlier "original" eight (1899-1906) that are scarce and largely marooned abroad. If you are a type collector, an entire set can be assembled raw. It's do-able.

The third leaf contains high-grade coins which were superseded with upgrades.

The fourth and last leaf holds my dedicated NGC short set. Eight years, eight coins... nine spaces. In like Flint.

"PROBLEM" SOLVED;  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing closing parenthesis.