• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do failed Variety Plus attributions affect populations?

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently submitted several coins for Variety Plus that were already NGC graded. The ones that did not get a variety attributed all received a new cert # that can be looked up, but they were sent back with the labels being their original cert #s. I'm curious if these new cert #s created by my variety plus submission are affecting the populations for these coins?

For example, I submitted a 1953 PF68 25c with cert # 3547202-002 that did not end up receiving a variety attribution, but on my submission status page it shows the new number being 5955481-003, and each # has a valid certification page. I received the coin back with the former/original #.

Thanks for reading

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The new number is used solely in house for tracking purposes when NGC-slabbed coins are resubmitted for variety or mint error attribution. It is not included in the census. The only time the tracking number becomes a new certification number is when the submission is for regrade or crossover.