• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about PCGS grade of Morgan

18 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 10:17 PM, ldhall said:

:):) Thanx so much. In the US Coin ASE's appeared to be priced as raw coin ? 

Right now there’s like a $10+ premium per ase over spot maybe $15. Slabs, I go with eBay sold. On one slab between fdoi  (advance release :roflmao:) somebody’s signature pretty pictures I’m confused with slabs (but have bought lots and lots never sent one in for grading, just lots of searching and study ) remember every upgrade costs $    For a little eye opener try this. Average Morgan let’s say ms60. $35-$45 raw add $50 for grading and shipping. $85 total. Check eBay there it is $49.95. All slabbed maybe free shipping. Don’t forget if it’s a special variety you’ll pay extra for that to be noted on slab. Sooooo. That’s how I see it 🤓. Hopefully this helps. There are many people here who can provide you with advice 

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 7/20/2021 at 11:17 PM, ldhall said:

Thanx, very much :) I have been using NGC and PCGS online price guide :( 

PCGS and NGC price guides should be used for reference , don’t go by the prices listed they are high retail prices I see a lot sellers on eBay pricing coins exactly what NGC and PCGS priced in their guides and websites (where they get those prices ?) I have no idea !!!! Grey sheet is more accurate but it’s pricey … However PCGS does show Auction prices for certain coins you can see what people were paying for coins at auctions and even Ebay auction as well … You do is take High retail prices and auction prices , then narrow it down to what you’re willing to pay for a coin close to (recent auction prices) . Then go bid on coins but set “your price” and don’t go over it .. Sure you’ll lose some bids , thats the way it is you’ll also win some bids too. There’s deals out there just have to find them searching around online and private dealer websites with inventory (make them an offer) what’s worse they say? No . Most dealers are open to offers they don’t tell everyone that they expect you to know that and how to haggle but most of them are motivated to sell coins at offer prices 

On 7/20/2021 at 10:44 PM, ldhall said:

I am on my Morgan set quest, and I saw a 1884-O Morgan graded MS 62 but the PCGS price guide goes from AU55 to MS63 ? I can see this is an old label. Any help for this nice. :) image.png.724c64596e835397d3cd2e0a5bff966c.png

Well I am in trouble then if the price guide only goes up to MS63 .............. I just got this two weeks ago 1884-O MS64....... I think the guide goes up to MS70 but there are none to be found............ Yet 

1884-O MS 64 +.jpg

On 7/22/2021 at 12:15 PM, ldhall said:

I am sorry - I was reading the wrong scale. I'm better cross referencing books than the computer when cross referencing :( Nice looking coin - thanx for the awareness of my error.

That's ok I do it all the time.. it was kind of a joke there are so many variety's and columns in this hobby you can cross-reference all day long LoL.......... No error on your part   Idhall

On 7/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, ldhall said:

I am sorry - I was reading the wrong scale. I'm better cross referencing books than the computer when cross referencing :( Nice looking coin - thanx for the awareness of my error.

No no.your fine. Reread the advice you were given there’s wonderful information about grade condition Jason advice is good stuff. Mine is ok I’m still new so I try a little humor and carefully present some facts. Stick around 🤓. JP and some of the other folks  here are pretty dang smart. 

LoL it better be :roflmao: I like the online version it is updated daily and makes my coin look like it is worth more :whistle:...up to $150 today and that is without the VAM 37A it has lol  I think the fat rattler slab is worth more.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, Jason Abshier said:

@J P Mashoke a guy I work with is a PCGS member he gets monthly PCGS price guide your 1884-O is in the price guide MS64 $80 

57354FD8-A1E6-4483-86B6-7BAB17E9A3A8.jpeg

On 7/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, J P Mashoke said:

LoL it better be :roflmao: I like the online version it is updated daily and makes my coin look like it is worth more :whistle:...up to $150 today and that is without the VAM 37A it has lol  I think the fat rattler slab is worth more.

This price guide was from June 2021 probably out of date already … I don’t collect Morgans anymore I used too , maybe someday I’ll come back start collecting them right now I’m focusing on my German world coins . Prices for world coins are tough not a lot data for world coin pricing the price guides are out of date sometimes , really have haggle around prices on world coins mostly I used auction prices for world coins even then some prices are too high 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:51 AM, Jason Abshier said:

This price guide was from June 2021 probably out of date already … I don’t collect Morgans anymore I used too , maybe someday I’ll come back start collecting them right now I’m focusing on my German world coins . Prices for world coins are tough not a lot data for world coin pricing the price guides are out of date sometimes , really have haggle around prices on world coins mostly I used auction prices for world coins even then some prices are too high 

A guy I buy  a lot of my Morgan's from asked me yesterday if I was into world silver coins yet and said he had some Reales  he was willing to part with if I wanted. I said no not yet I would not know what to look for, I did not want to say there are many counterfeit ones out there. Not that he would sell me a bad coin but if you don't know what to look for even a experienced dealer can get fooled I am told.

@J P Mashoke you are correct about some counterfeit Spanish reales , as well as any coinage . I myself been collecting German coinage for last 6 years I have Krause book just for German coins with over 1,000 pages of nothing but German coins from 1600-present modern day … world coins are interesting so many roads and doors to open with world coinage you’ll never get bored ! Some are ugly , some are drop dead gorgeous, some are plain Jane , some are just down right cool ! … reason why I went to German coins because of my heritage then it became addictive to keep collecting German coins my favorite design is German Baden state designs . My wife is maya Indian from Guatemala soon I’ll be starting a collection of Guatemala coins I’m sure I’ll be running into some Guatemala reales just like a Spanish reales hopefully they ain’t Fake either … but I buy both Raw and graded world coins