• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 cents 1936 S & 1934
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I've always tried to get into the Buffalo's but IMHO they are about impossible to find with a good quality strike. I still like them though. Your 1936-S definitely looks to be in better shape of the two and the toning is attractive if it can be deemed natural and not AT.  I'd put your 1936 somewhere in the low XF range based on a quick comparison with Photograde but the 1934 would fall well shorter on a grade.  Either way, I don't feel they are worth having graded. There's not a lot of spread in values from XF all the way up to higher AU grades, not even a full $25 difference in that spread I believe.  Your 36-S may be worth $10 bucks or so (but don't take my word for it, I am by no means an expert on grading....)   but the 1936-S does have an RPM variety that you may want to examine more closely on your coin.  Can't tell from your pic.  

Edited by GBrad

I am not a big fan of those deeply toned coins. It’s corrosion. Others’ mileage may vary.

There is pretty toning and there is corrosion, these border on the corrosion side,  I would not personally pay very much, maybe $15 and $3; however I also did not do any research to see if either is some type of variety that could add value.   Certainly there will be other collectors that might be willing to pay more especially for the 36-S if they like the toning.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

to see if either is some type of variety that could add value. 

There is a 1936 S/S RPM FS-501 variety for this year and mint.  If yours just happened to be one, it would no doubt increase its value but not exponentially. Still not worth slabbing IMO even if it happened to be the case.  

Of the 1934 to 1938-D “short set”, the 1934-D is by far the toughest to find struck well. It’s still the “ugly duckling” of my set. 

Edited by VKurtB

At one time I collected a lot of graded buffalos some of the earlier years get tough and pretty expensive in higher grades , I had about 3/4 of my set completed in MS63-MS66+ grades I sold it to Another collector back in 2013 when the anniversary of buffalo nickels were hot property back then  … Which I’m glad I gotten it sold because now a days it is tough sometimes to find someone who wants to buy graded buffalos or Liberty V nickels , Lincoln cents as well and a lot of the newer collectors are into the modern collector’s market … Seems like if it don’t have any silver or gold in it they don’t want it