• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC colored slabs
1 1

60 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, J P Mashoke said:

maybe he should move it to a different part of the slab to be safe ?

Actually the dealer can put his/her personal stickers on the bottom of slab and not directly right over the hologram , they say “No room” then make a smaller sticker so it fits at the bottom of the slab … Common sense isn’t rocket science ! 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I was hoping someday that NGC would go back to retro “fatty” holders I still like them to this day they were pretty strong holder hard to scratch them too , I wouldn’t mind if ANACS went back to retro white holders …I’m not a big fan of Retro black NGC holders 

16268797067708027655648346865558.thumb.jpg.09bcdb203896cca2aea300e48a99c62f.jpgyou under estimate the power of the dark side!!! Lol 

Perhaps one day, in a galaxy far far away, NGC can find a way to not put any color in the mix and we can get clear cores that allow the coin to be seen better than hidden? 

We need a core like PCGS uses so we can see the coin clearly, a shell like NGC uses that can take a beating and not scratch, and a label like ANACS so that you can see what the coin is from the top of a box. 

16268885445627872723451780396502.thumb.jpg.abd89593fee14f7f94947b0702553d75.jpgyeah,galaxy fare away. Been there done that. NGC is fare superior in grading in my opinion and those willing to adapt and gain popularity and ground with the younger future coin collectors will prosper 

On 7/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, VKurtB said:

I even have a problem with black inserts. I’m a HUGE fan of consistency.

Obi Wan has taught you well?🤣

Edited by Haskel

On 7/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Conder101 said:

Who did they make blue cores for?

ASE’s, IIRC. (Acronym overflow.)

On 7/21/2021 at 10:19 AM, Haskel said:

Obi Wan has taught you well?🤣16268805641713076965174076943550.thumb.jpg.dc2974ce57e26395af4cd73db0515fb7.jpg

Not my Bag(h), dad.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, Haskel said:

16268885445627872723451780396502.thumb.jpg.abd89593fee14f7f94947b0702553d75.jpgyeah,galaxy fare away. Been there done that. NGC is fare superior in grading in my opinion and those willing to adapt and gain popularity and ground with the younger future coin collectors will prosper 

Obi Wan has taught you well?🤣

Hey, hang on just one minute, there, fella. Those are PCGS slabs. That’s the Dork Side of the Farce.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:33 PM, Haskel said:

Been there done that. NGC is fare superior in grading in my opinion and those willing to adapt and gain popularity and ground with the younger future coin collectors will prosper 

I agree with you you got some nice Star war coins , where’s all the silver basher people at now? “oh that just silver bullion you wasted your money buying that it’s only silver nobody gonna buy it for more than melt !”,  “looks cool but again its only silver bullion” or “don’t send that into grading it’s not worth it , coin must be over $150 or more to be graded”

I Myself am a classic coin collector, I was guilty of saying some of that stuff towards new collectors ,seems like some collectors haven’t (accepted) that there is a “new market era” of coin collecting and collectors today . I’m finally starting to dabble around and venture in the new market of graded silver bullion and gold and modern coins I buy few here and there . It’s the next generation of collecting I see nothing wrong with graded silver bullion with low mintages . After all our hobby need to stay alive with newer collectors it’s a new era and times are changing 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/21/2021 at 4:53 PM, Haskel said:

PCGS is 2nd best in my opinion. Dang sure better than anacs js 🤣🤪

ANACS is good for error coins and varieties that have a long data base for that purpose more than NGC or PCGS has . ANACS glory days of good grading on rare coin market are long over … Thats why I prefer older White ANACS holders back in the days when they first started out grading they were strict on a standard (some of the white holder coins are on the money or little under graded on today’s market) . PCGS and NGC over took the market under a different grading standard “market grading” that’s where ANACS got thrown under the bus they didn’t adapt (when they did try to adapt PCGS and NGC shot them out of the air with the market grading) ANACS could never catch up . However they still have loyal followers that keep them alive . But I have found some nice graded ANACS coin in the older slabs. However ANACS does make it little easier for anyone to send them coin for grading unlike the bigger guys NGC and PCGS (membership only) blah blah blah wish they would be a little more looser with the membership especially PCGS and (their cult driven dealers claiming only PCGS coins are more superior) 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, Jason Abshier said:

ANACS is good for error coins and varieties that have a long data base for that purpose more than NGC or PCGS has . ANACS glory days of good grading on rare coin market are long over … Thats why I prefer older White ANACS holders back in the days when they first started out grading they were strict on a standard (some of the white holder coins are on the money or little under graded on today’s market) . PCGS and NGC over took the market under a different grading standard “market grading” that’s where ANACS got thrown under the bus they didn’t adapt (when they did try to adapt PCGS and NGC shot them out of the air with the market grading) ANACS could never catch up . However they still have loyal followers that keep them alive . But I have found some nice graded ANACS coin in the older slabs. However ANACS does make it little easier for anyone to send them coin for grading unlike the bigger guys NGC and PCGS (membership only) blah blah blah wish they would be a little more looser with the membership especially PCGS and (their cult driven dealers claiming only PCGS coins are more superior) 

If you’re into the VAM varieties (I am not), there is no place better than ANACS. There is something for everyone. 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:19 PM, VKurtB said:

their cult driven dealers

Spoken of the “four letter” TPG. Whatever else you want to believe, it is indisputable that their dealer network has drunk the Jim Jones purple Kool-Aid of that firm.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Spoken of the “four letter” TPG. Whatever else you want to believe, it is indisputable that their dealer network has drunk the Jim Jones purple Kool-Aid of that firm.

They started drinking something else after they removed David hall out of his own firm when he was one of the the one’s who basically started it all . Immediately terminated him I still haven’t found out real story why they did that ? 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:39 PM, Jason Abshier said:

They started drinking something else after they removed David hall out of his own firm when he was one of the the one’s who basically started it all . Immediately terminated him I still haven’t found out real story why they did that ? 

A sad tale, but not an uncommon one for firm founders generally.

They made red, white, and blue holders for ASEs. A really good friend on here gave my son 3 silver eagles. One of each color. He loves those coins. He keeps them in his safe.  He gets them out and looks at them every couple days or so. That got him very interested in coins. I liked the American vibe of those slabs. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I got a few Washington quarters in fattys that have these holograms also.

Those aren't "fatties, and that is a different, and much tougher hologram.  The first one you posted IS a "fattie" and with an intact hologram, finding those nowadays that don't have destroyed holograms is tough.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:59 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I do have 2 of them with gold embossed sticker hologram on back of NGC slab they are starting to get harder to find now every once in awhile a few pop up for sale

Even tougher are the ones with the embossed logo on the insert inside the slab.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, J P Mashoke said:

maybe he should move it to a different part of the slab to be safe ?

You could quite possibly move it on the ones he showed, but on one of the fatties once a sticker was placed on the hologram that was it.  You couldn't move it without destroying the hologram.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:11 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Thats why I prefer older White ANACS holders back in the days when they first started out grading

When ANACS first started grading (1978) they used paper certificates.  They didn't start using the small white slabs until 11 years later, and then almost immediately afterward the company was sold to Amos Press.  Almost all the small white holders were issued by Amos Press.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:11 PM, Conder101 said:

When ANACS first started grading (1978) they used paper certificates.  They didn't start using the small white slabs until 11 years later, and then almost immediately afterward the company was sold to Amos Press.  Almost all the small white holders were issued by Amos Press.

@Conder101You’re correct I forgotten all about ANACS photo grading coins long before slabs ever came out they took photos of the coin obverse and reverse of the coin then put it in plastic bag with the grade card those are rare to find intact as well on today’s market 

Although a lot people bash ANACS but for newer collectors joint the hobby.  when you look back in history of TPG , I’d say ANACS is the granddaddy of them all they pioneered the way to what TPG grading really is. although a lot dealers and collectors say PCGS was first true TPG Service maybe so on market grading with a fancy slab at that time then along came NGC but too much credit was given there (they just didn’t get that idea out of the blue unless it wasn’t for ANACS at that time) 

On 7/23/2021 at 5:43 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Although a lot people bash ANACS but for newer collectors joint the hobby.  when you look back in history of TPG , I’d say ANACS is the granddaddy of them all they pioneered the way to what TPG grading really is. although a lot dealers and collectors say PCGS was first true TPG Service maybe so on market grading with a fancy slab at that time then along came NGC but too much credit was given there (they just didn’t get that idea out of the blue unless it wasn’t for ANACS at that time) 

I look for the old ANACS and fat rattlers all the time around here they are hard to find. I think they got found out a long time ago and are mostly re-graded in my neck of the woods

On 7/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I look for the old ANACS and fat rattlers all the time around here they are hard to find. I think they got found out a long time ago and are mostly re-graded in my neck of the woods

A lot of them have been cracked out and submitted to PCGS and NGC, if you go to a coin show sometimes you’ll find a few goodies in ANACS white holders or old PCGS rattlers … they are become scarce and scarce as the years go on with all the grading wars and hype going on sadly a lot of them are being cracked out … I buy a lot old holders even tho I think a coin can upgrade I leave them in old holder … there plenty of other newly graded coins to buy in higher grades leave the old slabs alone  

Shop very much on Ebay? I'm in the buyers market and i keep an eye on graded coins and the prices. Anacs holders don't fetch any type of premium at all on the market. If anything anacs coins are over all cheaper on Ebay than ngc or pcgs. I have examined many anacs coins on ebay and truthfully im not impressed 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:54 AM, Haskel said:

Shop very much on Ebay? I'm in the buyers market and i keep an eye on graded coins and the prices. Anacs holders don't fetch any type of premium at all on the market. If anything anacs coins are over all cheaper on Ebay than ngc or pcgs. I have examined many anacs coins on ebay and truthfully im not impressed 

Thanks Haskel ...:whatthe:  I am no fan of E-Bay or ESTY I like to look at there prices for a reference purpose  and for a good laugh a sometimes lol  I will only buy from a few on-line dealers I have some local coin and antique  dealers in my area that I check out all the time and some dealers in TN and SC.

Lately dealers got smarter with the ANACS coins aren’t always cheaper simply just because the coin is in an ANACS holder it sells cheaper than PCGS and NGC , I see a lot of ANACS coins selling for almost close as NGC coins and some close to PCGS if the coin indeed really looks nice … maybe some of the “uglier” ANACS coins sell for cheaper ? Or problem coins I noticed ANACS details a lot of coins for cleaning where PCGS will pass that on or NGC will detail a coin for harsh cleaning 

Your absolutely right. I've noticed that also. Lightly cleaned or harshly cleaned,but depending on rarity the coin can still go for a good price. Seen many 1800's Mexico 8 reales sale very good cleaned and graded. Etsy is literally a joke when it comes to coin value comparison but Ebay auctions is the exact market price people will currently pay for a certain coin. I bid on almost anything of value and watch it to the end. If it's gonna sale for a steal then I'll try and steal it lol

I’ve found good deals on MA-shops , collectors corner , great collections to name a few I also buy coins on live actions over seas never had any problems . I rarely find a really good deal on eBay anymore , maybe from a large dealer who has a large overhead operation they sell a bunch coins on eBay I can haggle with them , but the smaller sellers that have like 20 coins listed they won’t budge on prices real hard to haggle probably because of seller fees ? Maybe ? Either that or they are inexperienced collectors try to flip a coin from a huge marked up profit 

also bought a few good deals on Facebook market place I met a collector at coin show to buy a coin off him , but very very “few”good deals on Facebook market place 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Ever drive through Nebraska?  One huge pig farm and windows up and vents closed don't keep out the scent.   :gossip:

[Maybe that's why Johnny Carson left.]  🤔