• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC colored slabs
1 1

60 posts in this topic

I was wondering if NGC plans on making any other color of slabs for certain types of coins and designer labels. For example i have Harley Quinn and Joker coins that could really use a purple slab and Swamp Thing coins that could use a green core!!!

On 7/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

They’d be like M&M’s

I even have a problem with black inserts. I’m a HUGE fan of consistency.

Thank you so much for the input. My point that ithers don't realize or want to for that matter lol. Lord help me! They make white,black,red,and blue cores. Making a different color would be as simple as changing the color plastic that is processed through the platic injection mold. Most of these coins are a universal size. It would be a huge cash cow for ngc and people who collect and sell. Alot of these coins fetch huge premiums when in an premium colored core. For example: Dead pool and iron man demand the highest price when sold anywhere with a red core. Star wars coins fetch a huge premium just for being in a black core. The label also helps sell the coin tremendously. Green core for the Hulk,Swamp Thing, purple core for the Joker,Harley Quinn and possibly Dead Shot. Captain America looks awesome in a blue core and always brings in the largest profit margin. BUT! HERE'S the but! It needs to be sanctioned and graded by a legit grading Company like NGC!!!!!!!! If no one has seen this in the sales market i would like some credit because this would be more than worth the trouble to accomplish and make it happen NGC! Put in an order for different colors. Sale off some older,less appealing cores to make room for the new more popular cores. Inventory? Not a problem! Got a good computer stock program?

P.S. i worked for Tyson foods for 19 years until i injured myself and had to let the job go. We make different types of chicken products constantly. New products all the time. A stable and established company can change skus,and product description witha few strokes of a key board. I entered thise different product brands into the system all the time. It's really simple. I am getting older but im not set in my ways and i know profit when i see it even if it requires a little change

We gots us a Tyson plant jes’ a little piece down the road from hyeah. Lotsa trux takin’ dem dirty birds down theyah too.

Yes, changing descriptions and product codes is easy but I was thinking more along the lines of the storage, production/acquisition and labor to support what could be a VERY broad product line. Having individuals requesting any number of core, label and case variations would be a HUGE pain, just imagine all the the submission form filling out questions that would be asked on a daily basis. NGC would probably have to hire a staff dedicated to answering label questions. doh! I agree with the way NGC currently handles this, you want a special whatever better have a bulk submission of 100 coins or do significant business with us. I don't disagree that if NGC wanted they could sell gobs of these types of accessories and maybe they will in the future but this has been a subject discussed ad nauseum and I don't see it changing much in the short term. Try contacting NGC directly, they are very accommodating, and may work with you on this if you want to send your coins in for ReHolder but it'll probably cost a pretty penny if they were to do this.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, VKurtB said:

We gots us a Tyson plant jes’ a little piece down the road from hyeah. Lotsa trux takin’ dem dirty birds down theyah too.

Some of the worst smelling factories I've ever been to and the "disposal" locations for the poultry farms are even more putrid. Whew! Makes great compost though just don't have you're windows down when they are spreading it.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:21 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Some of the worst smelling factories I've ever been to and the "disposal" locations for the poultry farms are even more putrid. Whew! Makes great compost though just don't have you're windows down when they are spreading it.

We calls ‘em Winders, n’ we don’t keep ‘em open nor use ‘em in our COMputers, neither.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

poultry farms are even more putrid.

Ever drive through Nebraska?  One huge pig farm and windows up and vents closed don't keep out the scent.   :gossip:

On 7/20/2021 at 12:39 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Ever drive through Nebraska?  One huge pig farm and windows up and vents closed don't keep out the scent.   :gossip:

Nope, that’s the smell of the ‘Huskers football team, at least lately. :devil: The ‘N’ stands for Nowledge, right Coach?

I know peeps be set in their ways but this is 2021. We are dealing with a coin core not a model T. Can get it any color you want. As long as its black

I was hoping someday that NGC would go back to retro “fatty” holders I still like them to this day they were pretty strong holder hard to scratch them too , I wouldn’t mind if ANACS went back to retro white holders …I’m not a big fan of Retro black NGC holders 

On 7/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I was hoping someday that NGC would go back to retro “fatty” holders I still like them to this day they were pretty strong holder hard to scratch them too , I wouldn’t mind if ANACS went back to retro white holders …I’m not a big fan of Retro black NGC holders 

I like the fattys also. I've got the privilege to buy a handful of coins in the old fatty holders. I really like them. 

@Hoghead515 do you have any of the old fatty holders with gold foil hologram on the back of slab ? Those are getting harder and harder to find … lately I been hunting down the old fatty holders with no bar code light green labels they only made that style green labels for short period of time … I also buy any fatty holder I can find in world coins which is a little more rarer seeing world coins in NGC fatty holders … I’m picky also the hologram on back of slab must be fully intact and not ripped off if it is ripped off I’ll discount price of the coin another 5% when I’m buying from a dealer I’ll point out the damaged hologram some say it ain’t nothing no big deal , to me it’s part of the package buying when buying a coin just like how a collector rather have a mint package for a coin purchase from the mint 

On 7/20/2021 at 9:26 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@Hoghead515 do you have any of the old fatty holders with gold foil hologram on the back of slab ? Those are getting harder and harder to find … lately I been hunting down the old fatty holders with no bar code light green labels they only made that style green labels for short period of time … I also buy any fatty holder I can find in world coins which is a little more rarer seeing world coins in NGC fatty holders … I’m picky also the hologram on back of slab must be fully intact and not ripped off if it is ripped off I’ll discount price of the coin another 5% when I’m buying from a dealer I’ll point out the damaged hologram some say it ain’t nothing no big deal , to me it’s part of the package buying when buying a coin just like how a collector rather have a mint package for a coin purchase from the mint 

Is this the hologram or is it different? I may not have one with the one you are talking about. This one changes colors as you turn the slab. Polish_20210720_213315977.thumb.jpg.0a572836af9fd505652e8619daea4db6.jpg

I got a few Washington quarters in fattys that have these holograms also. As you can see I've never removed any of my GC stickers off my coins. I keep them on there to keep up with the ones I've bought from there. Polish_20210720_213736043.thumb.jpg.145d01a5745a16af6b307a374e4f7aeb.jpg

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 PM, Hoghead515 said:

As you can see I've never removed any of my GC stickers off my coins

Some of the newer modern NGC holograms are more stronger can take that sticker on back , also some years NGC put hologram on the inside of “some” slabs for a short period of time . I think the newer NGC slabs on today’s market has hologram on the  inside of the slab ? I’m not real sure I have to check , but I know there was a period they put hologram on inside of slab and switch back to putting the hologram on outside of slab again . 

it was the older hologram fatty holders like in your first picture that suffered what I called “dealer sticker syndrome” they got damaged easily I guess dealers back then didn’t care or didn’t have enough common sense to stop putting stickers on holograms , but fast forward to today some dealer see these old fatty NGC holders have a collectors market and are appreciated now . They try to sell them for little more premium than what the coin is worth , uh! Nope ! Not if that hologram severely ruined on the back Discount it ! When your buying . Buying old slabs is like buying antiques would you buy an ugly antique at a high price ? 

So is Hoghead in danger of messing up the hologram by leaving the GC sticker on there ?? maybe he should move it to a different part of the slab to be safe ?

On 7/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, J P Mashoke said:

So is Hoghead in danger of messing up the hologram by leaving the GC sticker on there ?? maybe he should move it to a different part of the slab to be safe ?

Not on that slab , those are more tougher type on hologram on the back if he peels sticker off slowly it should be okay , ( Be careful when using any goo-off or other chemicals trying wipe off sticker residue off on the  holograms) I seen someone literally rub the hologram off using acetone or goo-gone or something . Just simply use a little dish soap and little water wipe it off …. Acetone would be a big no-no to use on plastic , pour acetone in a plastic cup you’ll see it dissolve the plastic. Perhaps Denature alcohol would probably be better safer solution to use , I also use denature alcohol to dip all my raw coins in when I first buy them to remove finger prints and so on before I put them in 2x2 … And NO denature alcohol will not harm toning on coins it evaporates very quickly as well , I’ve also dipped a lot of copper coins in denature alcohol as well with no ill effects to the coin