• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1793 2 reale Spanish

67 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, Yves85 said:

Oh-oh... have I committed some faux-pas in my very first post?

No, your coin may be perfectly fine, I don’t know. But many similar ideas with older U. S. coins sometimes get controversial. 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, VKurtB said:

No, your coin may be perfectly fine, I don’t know. But many similar ideas with older U. S. coins sometimes get controversial. 

Oh, good! Pass some of that popcorn would you?

On 7/17/2021 at 8:26 PM, Yves85 said:

Oh, good! Pass some of that popcorn would you?

Since you say it’s a dug coin, I assume it got a long bath in something to loosen any crud.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Since you say it’s a dug coin, I assume it got a long bath in something to loosen any crud.

Just a bit of water and dish soap, came right out of the soil like that pretty much

On 7/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, Yves85 said:

Just a bit of water and dish soap, came right out of the soil like that pretty much

Mmm. That militates for a thought it’s fake. Usually, coins that old, particularly in silver, require much very serious, and secretive, conservation methods. Describe the soil where you found it, please. Clay? Loam? Sandy? How moist?

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/17/2021 at 11:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Mmm. That militates for a thought it’s fake. Usually, coins that old, particularly in silver, require much very serious, and secretive, conservation methods. Describe the soil where you found it, please. Clay? Loam? Sandy? How moist?

I'm certain it's real, it was found in association with other objects of that time period near an old stone foundation in a field with a metal detector. The field is a commercial blueberry field, now I don’t know much about soil type but it looked redish and sandy, can't remember if it was moist, this was last year. I actually filmed it's discovery, the video is also on my YouTube.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:25 PM, Yves85 said:

I'm certain it's real, it was found in association with other objects of that time period near an old stone foundation in a field with a metal detector. The field is a commercial blueberry field, now I don’t know much about soil type but it looked redish and sandy, can't remember if it was moist, this was last year. I actually filmed it's discovery, the video is also on my YouTube.

Dry and sandy (not disturbed much) would be a good preservative environment. 

Cool find ! Looks in good condition for something you dug up out of the ground definitely a keeper for your personal collection you did a good job doing a delicate cleaning . I’d grade this probably around “upper” VF to XF probably worth $50-$60 at most if any collector was to buy it some may even pay a little more $70-$80 to say…It’s hard to prices these older coins because of the collector’s market and demands… I see some online sometimes for sale prices are all over the place doesn’t mean that what everyone is willing to pay for a specific coin , If I were you I’d keep it for your own personal collection and good luck with your other finds , I have a guy, I work with that does a lot metal detecting finds all kinds of strange things brings them to work to show me I have no idea what 99% of stuff is , last week he found odd rings that he believes were used on horses to pull plows in fields back in the old days he once found a US civil war belt buckle and dagger that look like it went on gun as well 

spanish 2 reales KM# 430.2 

weight : 6.77g 

Silver melt value ? $4.55 

On 7/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, Greenstang said:

No evaluation needed, its a counterfeit.

Please shoot your photos head on. shooting on an angle distorts the features.

You might want to look a little closer there captain.

I have other photos taken of it after I found it.

20191104_170101.jpg

20191104_170133.jpg

Edited by Yves85

Much better pictures.

Did you weigh your coin? It should weigh 6.76g with a Diameter of 27mm.

I have enclosed photos of a genuine coin for you to compare with mate. It's your decision.

1793 2 real.jpg

1793 2 real R.jpg

Seems to be close-ish.

Also last year I brought it, along with a bunch of other reales I've dug up to get silver content tested at our local coin shop here in Moncton, The Coin Cabinet, and it was a spot on match, not .925 but like .89 can't remember exactly. I also included a pic of a cob I also dug recently just for fun

20210718_111357.jpg

20210718_111451.jpg

20200521_195000.jpg

How us American metalworking machinist convert metric to standard US measurements when using calipers 

27.0mm x .0397 = 1.062 

or can convert 27.0 divided by 25.4=1.062 

your coin’s date looks a little funky but again who knows if it is indeed a fake whoever made it did a real job ! 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/18/2021 at 9:09 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Cool find ! Looks in good condition for something you dug up out of the ground definitely a keeper for your personal collection you did a good job doing a delicate cleaning . I’d grade this probably around “upper” VF to XF probably worth $50-$60 at most if any collector was to buy it some may even pay a little more $70-$80 to say…It’s hard to prices these older coins because of the collector’s market and demands… I see some online sometimes for sale prices are all over the place doesn’t mean that what everyone is willing to pay for a specific coin , If I were you I’d keep it for your own personal collection and good luck with your other finds , I have a guy, I work with that does a lot metal detecting finds all kinds of strange things brings them to work to show me I have no idea what 99% of stuff is , last week he found odd rings that he believes were used on horses to pull plows in fields back in the old days he once found a US civil war belt buckle and dagger that look like it went on gun as well 

spanish 2 reales KM# 430.2 

weight : 6.77g 

Silver melt value ? $4.55 

Thank you for the detailed response! I was hoping for an XF grade... I've dug quite a few Spanish coins in my time, but this one was by far the nicest one. I mainly hunt for old military relics... on the site this coin was found on, I also found a Rev War Kings American Dragoons horse tack rosette in such amazing condition, I was able to sell that small peice of brass for several thousand dollars.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:38 AM, Jason Abshier said:

How us American metalworking machinist convert metric to standard US measurements when using calipers 

27.0mm x .0397 = 1.062 

or can convert 27.0 divided by 25.4=1.062 

your coin’s date looks a little funky but again who knows if it is indeed a fake whoever made it did a real job ! 

Lol sorry about my wacky canadian tools. I never noticed anything with the date, what's funky about it?

On 7/18/2021 at 10:56 AM, Yves85 said:

Lol sorry about my wacky canadian tools. I never noticed anything with the date, what's funky about it?

That “3” if you look closely again it could be wear from old circulation and sitting in dirt … 

F3AF35E4-1CC9-4B2F-AFB2-972EAC7AE88D.jpeg

On 7/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, James Zyskowski said:

No sir each background seems to be the photographers choice. Any similarities are probably just that or👀

But red is a ridiculously bad background for getting accurate coin colors UNLESS you can do manual white balance.  

On 7/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, VKurtB said:

But red is a ridiculously bad background for getting accurate coin colors

And especially if it's twins keep showing up.  Comprendes amigo?

On 7/18/2021 at 3:25 PM, Woods020 said:

That $€!+ eating grin on Charles’ face should be telling compared to an original. 

Not a bad point indeed. Now, let’s assume, arguendo, that it’s a fake. How old a fake? 2020 China? Or late 18th century English?  Shall we do an Alibaba search? What say ye?

Edited by VKurtB